MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Joyfilled Redhead

Well, I guess I need to behave now....oldest DD is on the board now! She's young and wanting to learn, so I suggested she join the board. She's getting married in mid-July!! We're all excited, and wondering if we will have WW3 full blown before then, but for now we're just enjoying the process. Looking forward to learning with her! :hug3:

• Like 3

Welcome, Joyfilled Redhead.   It’s really nice to have you here.  Don’t hesitate to join in or ask questions.  Even us old timers are still learning every day.  And we love to share what we do know.  :bighug2:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Can someone help her? Her application to join here is still pending, so she can't post anything. Is there is something else she's supposed to do?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

:sorry:  I hadn’t checked..my bad.  Forgive me..please. 

Awww....thanks Annarchy! Nothing to forgive, really.

Thanks for adding her! I think. :unsure::sHa_sarcasticlol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Joyfilled Redhead.  I’m so glad you finally got to post.  I think it’s great you are interested in prepping like your Mom.  My daughter isn’t on but she preps too and lives just ‘up the road’ .  It’s nice for us to work together. :bighug2:

• Like 2

:welcome: Joyfilled Redhead, I promise to keep a better eye on our new arrivals.  :sigh:

I’m very grateful you are interested in making sure you have supplies & are trying to prepare for the rocky road we have entered.  

DH says, “one is none, two is one, three is better”. So very true.  One roll of TP.  One can of soup. One onion…. etc.

What we purchased a year ago, preserved, now costs 3 times as much, if you can find it.  

We are still trying to add to & rotate what we have stored…..

Looking forward to your thoughts and sharing your wisdom with us….  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
46 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Welcome again Joyfilled Redhead! :happy0203:

So glad you are able to post now! Just jump right on in anytime. We already love your mom and you are as welcome too. 

Awww, shucks, Jeepers....thank you!! :bighug2:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mother said:

Joyfilled Redhead.  I’m so glad you finally got to post.  I think it’s great you are interested in prepping like your Mom.  My daughter isn’t on but she preps too and lives just ‘up the road’ .  It’s nice for us to work together. :bighug2:

Me too!! I don't know if this sounds odd (or how odd it sounds), but I've always found prepping to be exciting. Once I'm married, I'll be just "up the road" too! I've always been interested in anything between canning, and water filtering, and budgeting, etc. I'm looking forward to this!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

Welcome again Joyfilled Redhead! :happy0203:

So glad you are able to post now! Just jump right on in anytime. We already love your mom and you are as welcome too. 

Aww, thank you!! I've been dipping my toes in every once in a while, but I finally remembered to actually sign up myself...and am so glad! ^_^

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Annarchy said:

:welcome: Joyfilled Redhead, I promise to keep a better eye on our new arrivals.  :sigh:

I’m very grateful you are interested in making sure you have supplies & are trying to prepare for the rocky road we have entered.  

DH says, “one is none, two is one, three is better”. So very true.  One roll of TP.  One can of soup. One onion…. etc.

What we purchased a year ago, preserved, now costs 3 times as much, if you can find it.  

We are still trying to add to & rotate what we have stored…..

Looking forward to your thoughts and sharing your wisdom with us….  

Hello! ^_^ No problem!

We - my family, fiance, and I - are grateful too....what would you suggest we start out with? I've got a bit of sugar, rice, a few teas (that I've deemed quite necessary and have been graciously loved on by my mom........thanks for getting me tea, Ma!!:bighug2:), and flour...and more, but not much.

Yes!! I prefer three, myself... :D Which is why we're attempting to find things more in bulk.

Oof, yeah...I've looked at the prices lately, and they keep getting cringier (oh look, I made up a new word!) and cringier...budgeting is gonna get harder as time goes on.

Thank you!! I look forward to listening to you ladies and gleaning wisdom from you all. ^_^

• Like 2

Look at a recipe you need to make often.  Something you can do with what's in the yard and cupboard.  Get more of that.

Do you have at least a pound of salt to cook and scrub with? Good, so next, if you want to preserve with salt, how much would you need for the first recipe in your book?

How about vinegar?

And so on.

• Like 4

For the next week, write down every item you use to make a meal.   At the end of the week compile that list.   If your weeks vary a lot, keep it up for a month.  That will tell you what you eat.   Dont forget to include condiments like mayo, steak sauce, garlic, curry powder, etc.  

• Like 3
On 5/23/2022 at 5:39 AM, Ambergris said:

Look at a recipe you need to make often.  Something you can do with what's in the yard and cupboard.  Get more of that.

Do you have at least a pound of salt to cook and scrub with? Good, so next, if you want to preserve with salt, how much would you need for the first recipe in your book?

How about vinegar?

And so on.

Thanks! In that case, we tend to go for Mexican often (tomatoes, peppers, etc.), as well as...Italian, perhaps? That helps with figuring out what to prioritize gardening first - and what "core" ingredients to stock up on first, too! Thank you again! ^_^

• Like 1