MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning with neighbors and friends

So...I have an idea, but I'm not always sure it's a good one. Our church has a good sized kitchen with a gas stove. I was thinking about asking if I can use it for canning and making it a community event of sorts. 

Has anyone done this before? If so, what does it look like? Do people bring their own food, jars, kids, etc? Combine it all together or is it better to do all this separate? 

Any thoughts or ideas on this?

• Like 1

The Mormons have (or used to have at least) kitchens where members could do their canning.  I’m not sure how they divide things but I’m sure someone here will know. 

My thought are that division might depend on how much produce is brought in by each person.  I would be concerned with the quality also.  Poor soil gives a nutritionally poor product. Also chemicals used vs. organic. It might be possible to bulk buy produce with each person sharing in the cost and the work and then each taking an equal share home.  With canning supplies being scarce or expensive probably each would bring their own.  

Kids should always be welcome but not in the canning area because of safety concerns. Perhaps the common room that is often attached to the kitchen might work as a play area and two or three parents or older siblings trade off to oversee the children. 

Considering this might be a long day it would work for each participant to bring finger foods for lunch and snacks for all.  Sandwiches, chips, cookies, and drinks would work and be easy to serve and clean up after. 

It would be a great way for people to learn about canning safely, though if there are a lot of those it might be better to hold a canning ‘class’ before holding a canning event.  We have a community group near us that are trying to set up classes in canning, dehydrating, baking bread, prepping, gardening, old fashioned living skills, and all sorts of survival skills.  It is slow getting going but a lot of people are ready to sign up for them. The interest is phenomenal.  

• Thanks 1