MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

1950 census

Ancestry has been releasing the 1950 census the past month.  If you can't afford membership at Ancestry, I heard that Family Search will be providing data for free soon. I haven't found too much new yet  but I did see that my grandparents had separated at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It's really cool. I found my mom's family and my uncle living with his mom and stepdad after he came back from serving in WW2. I didn't know he came back to live with them afterwards at all as I was told he ran away at 14 to join the Navy so assumed he hadn't returned home. Waiting on the east coast states to be indexed so I can search for my great grandparents on my dad's side as they all lived in MD and it isn't indexed fully yet.

• Like 3

My sister and I are trying to write up the family stories...how my great-great grandfather worked in the lead mines in Wisdonsin, how one great aunt became depressed during menopause and what happened to her, how my other granparents got their farm in a 3-way swap for their in-town brick house...to a duplex...to a farm....how my grandfather had 3 wives, one of which we suspect (but cant confirm yet) was a Native American named Lucy Lightfoot from Minnesota; and such things as are not on census rolls.  We want to pass it along to her children who have an interest in such family trivia.  I wish there was a website for inserting this info in case anyone goes looking for it, before it is lost forever.  Family histories are the coolest!  Time to go digging in Minnesota.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 1