MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What do your grocery shelves look like?

Just curious. Ours have been pretty good for a bit, but for a while, it was hit or miss on a lot of stuff....a LOT. And mostly miss. Now I seem to find everything that I'm looking for, except this past time that hubby went to the store and didn't find a couple of items.

Prices is a whole different topic, don't get me started!!

• Like 4

Well, there's a reason the cashier has stopped asking "Did you find everything you were looking for?"

I find a lot of items, but if you eliminated everything with a use by or sell by date indicating it's a year old, a lot of the shelves would be bare.  Last week I found macaroni on BOGO sale with use by dates this week.  (Which, since it's macaroni, could be ignored.)  Usually all of those would have been sent to the bent can store by my old house.  I need to catch a ride up by there to see how they're doing.

Paper goods had gaps, as usual.

The cat food we used to buy in the 24-can and 36-can boxes is being sold in 9-can and 12-can boxes, and the bottom shelf is about 1/3 bare.  The high-end stuff costs more than cheap tuna fish. 

The juice and bottled water section had big gaps.

Some box cereals seemed to be missing.

The junk food aisles seemed to have gaps.

Soups and canned vegetables seemed to be plentiful.

The baking aisle was full, with lots of variety.

• Thanks 5

Last time I went to the grocery store there were empty spots all over the store.  Almost every ‘sale’ item was more expensive than the regular price would have been just a couple months ago and like Ambergris said what was there was near their expiration date. On top of that those items were almost all gone and had many people complaining because they were told they were sold out within a few hours of coming in and no more were expected.   There were many items on my list that were either missing or too expensive for comfort.  

The store was more crowded than I remember it being for midweek and there was a general feeling of unease among the shoppers.  I am chatty and comfortable talking to strangers and when I would remark to people about the price or about some missing item they would talk about how they didn’t know what they could do.  Most had no clue about substituting other foods for their usual groceries and at one point I found myself holding an impromptu class in ‘making do’ with five or six people surrounding the store scooter I was using. My husband joked with me later about ‘being in my element’ but he was probably right.  Having taught pioneer living, early American life, and prepping for years it was just my nature to be ‘chatty’ about it.  

The baby formula isle was almost empty as was the baby food section.  I’m guessing people are supplementing the puréed food for the formula.  I know it’s not recommended at an early age but I can’t help wondering who is behind that recommendation and what their true agenda might be.  

Another thing I noticed was that two of the stores I generally shop at had totally rearranged the middle parts of their stores in the last two months.  It was difficult to find things and the rationale for grouping certain things together escaped me.  The produce sections seemed fairly full though a lot of it seemed a bit welted and much smaller for a higher price in most instances. The meat and dairy sections, though fairly full also, were much higher in prices than the month before.  

Eggs were especially expensive and DH and I are contemplating the need to have chickens again but when I checked out buying already laying hens in our area the prices shocked me.  $25 to $30 for pullets and the closest was over 60 mile away so add gas costs to that. We’d also need a new coop.  We’ve decided to wait on the Lord to supply those if we need them and have turned to substitutes  until then.  

• Thanks 3

Freezer section is large empty sections I mean like 4/6 ft wide empty every other section.  Almost completely out of all types of frozen potatoes.  Produce had fewer options and more of particular options, but it was spread thin rather than stacked high--probably to look like more.   Dry goods were usually only about 2 to 3 items deep on the shelf.  Ethnic foods were hard to find and the price of rice based items was much higher.  Cooking oil costs a fortune.  I see a trip is needed to the Indian and Chinese grocery next week.  

• Thanks 3

Trip to WalMart yesterday was a surprise.  Various empty spaces throughout the grocery section.  The entire meat section against the long wall was empty with signs up say the refrigeratior units not working.  I am thinking every plumber in town should have been called in, but maybe parts were the problem.  However, the open cases in the middle of the isle were pretty much like usual, and the milk egg and butter isle had spotty blank spaces.  Prices up on most things.  Our store is very large and has been rearanged lately.  Spots in the regular grocery isles were in fairly normal shape, except for some things like pasta, etc.

• Thanks 3

I went to the Food Lion on Thursday morning. Price of cooking fats through the roof. Most of the frozen potatoes section was empty, and still no store brand mixed veggies. Pasta section still spotty, and the gallons of store brand water (distilled and filtered) are now $1.49. 

image.thumb.jpeg.d6f9de90ed5125095b31e8c170524bf5.jpeg

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2
Posted (edited)

Do you find that you've gotten used to the shortages? I used to take a bunch of pictures. My phone shows me their date, so I could save them for posterity. But now I just feel like "Oh, the chicken is mostly gone....good thing I wasn't going to buy chicken today." I don't look at the cost of eggs because we have chickens (and lots of eggs). But my goodness, that shortening is what? Double the cost? Wow.

I'm in KS, next time I go to the store (perhaps today) I'll take a pictures. Thanks for letting me know what it's like in your area. I know that you're all in different places of the country, so I get an overall answer. It's grim, but not un-hopeful.  Still time to prep worse times....and pray that there's not worse times.

Edited by Joyfilled
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, Ambergris said:

The baking aisle was full, with lots of variety.

That's because nobody cooks from scratch anymore - even after being cooped up at home for 18 mos! I'll bet that those who started to cook this way were relieved when restrictions lightened up and they could go back to their old way of shopping and cooking. You'd think that at least some people would have learned to stay "prepared." :banghead:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
Posted (edited)

I haven’t seen the big empty shelves where I am in California like I’ve seen in other places. Prices are ridiculous though and some canned stuff has been unavailable for a while. I shop at Costco and have bought their Dennisons chili in bulk for years. It hasn’t been there for over two months… I’ve heard because of the can shortage? I also buy their canned cat food where you get 60 cans at once…hasn’t been available for almost 2 months as well.
I was there today and it looked quite normal… All the shelves are full although the isles looked a little bit wider. However I was walking in the snack section and I happened to look up and noticed that there was furniture on the shelves instead of snacks… i’ve never seen that before in my Costco. As I walked around I noticed that there were big furniture boxes in various parts of the food sections higher up so that there were no empty spots... so it seems as if there is some creative shelving happening so that it doesn’t look empty…

0EEF17E4-EEEA-43E3-9F1E-AA204DA85668.jpeg

Edited by dogmom4
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

The stores I have been in is like what euphrasyne has stated. We do shop some of the same stores.  Need to find those Indian and Chinese stores. Didn't know we had any around here. The frozen foods are about empty last couple of times I went to store. Paper goods are a bit low but not by much. Oil is very high in price now. I can still get eggs but now at $1.59 a dozen compared to 69 cents in the past. Pork and beef seem to be full now, but chicken is still on the low end. Soups were plentiful this time around. But canned veggies are spread out to look full and only about 3 or 4 deep. Fresh produce doesn't look near as fresh as it used to and, in some stores, it is slim pickings. Milk isle in Food Lion was low last couple of times I was in there. I also saw something I have never seen before. There was a long line at the bank I use lined up at the ATM. And on top of that the drive through line was long as well. Not sure what was going on there but need to find out. 

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, Littlesister said:

The stores I have been in is like what euphrasyne has stated. We do shop some of the same stores.  Need to find those Indian and Chinese stores. Didn't know we had any around here. The frozen foods are about empty last couple of times I went to store. Paper goods are a bit low but not by much. Oil is very high in price now. I can still get eggs but now at $1.59 a dozen compared to 69 cents in the past. Pork and beef seem to be full now, but chicken is still on the low end. Soups were plentiful this time around. But canned veggies are spread out to look full and only about 3 or 4 deep. Fresh produce doesn't look near as fresh as it used to and, in some stores, it is slim pickings. Milk isle in Food Lion was low last couple of times I was in there. I also saw something I have never seen before. There was a long line at the bank I use lined up at the ATM. And on top of that the drive through line was long as well. Not sure what was going on there but need to find out. 

Was the bank thing today??

17 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Joyfield, that was yesterday morning. My bank is open from 8 to 12 on Sat.

That makes more sense. Still....erie, for sure. Wonder what's causing that? Everything, I suppose. 

• Like 1

I keep getting these e-mails that our banking system is going to crash, and that we will be going to a digital credit system. That could be a possibility, but so many e-mails are more like they are trying to sell you something. So not sure of that happening. I do know that one day the system will crash, and we will be going on a digital system. But the question is if and when. But not sure that was the reason for what I saw at the bank. Usually on Sat. hardly anyone is at that bank. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Royal Bazzar is on military highway in Norfolk near Best Thrift.  Great for beans, fresh veggies, and prepared sauces / weird pickles / chutneys.        We have several Asian ones.  I like Four Seasons in Virginia Beach best.  They have a good variety of dried items, mushrooms, tofu, rice based items, and Asian junk food.  

• Like 1

Littlesister, that is odd that the bank keeps sending you emails. Usually 1-2 will suffice.

The ATM I use is closing June 10th. I hate that. The one at the bank is behind the building and it's dark and isolated back there. And when you pull up to the machine, you are trapped between the building and lanes for the auto tellers. When you pull away from the machine you have to make a hard left and go down a narrow alley way between two buildings. It's a perfect place to get mugged. I rarely go there and never when the bank is closed. The one I go to now is in an open parking lot and is a stand alone little kiosk. Sigh. I'm going to miss it. 

Dogmom4 that's pretty sneaky putting those boxes up there. I'll bet most people just see boxes up there without noticing they aren't food. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

Royal Bazzar is on military highway in Norfolk near Best Thrift.  Great for beans, fresh veggies, and prepared sauces / weird pickles / chutneys.        We have several Asian ones.  I like Four Seasons in Virginia Beach best.  They have a good variety of dried items, mushrooms, tofu, rice based items, and Asian junk food.  

Hmmm....sounds good, but the gas prices to get there would kill me. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Littlesister said:

I can still get eggs but now at $1.59 a dozen compared to 69 cents in the past.

Eggs here are over $3/doz! I think a lot of that is due to the restrictions/guidelines imposed on any vendor that wants to sell product in this state. :(

• Sad 3

I was on a neighborhood watch that some people said that due to the issues not just with the farming of food but also cotton. Said that clothing might be harder to find next year due to a possible cotton shortage. Hope they are wrong about that. But that is a possibility. And if I remember right, it seems several years ago there was a shortage on cotton, but I didn't really any effects of that here. Something to watch for in the coming months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers, it's not the bank sending the e-mails. It's all those ones that are trying to get me to buy stock saying the banks are gearing up to lose our money and that the digital banking will be starting. They say we could lose a portion of our money if we don't do something now. Sounds to me like they are trying to get me to invest in digital currency before the banks start doing whatever they are going to do. To me it sounds like a bit of a scam and I for one am not tying my money up in a bunch of stocks not knowing for sure if the stock market will crash or not. 

Eurhrasyne, I thought maybe those stores were somewhere close by. I don't drive to VA beach nor Norfolk anymore. It is easier for me to head to Newport News. I am a bit closer to the James River Bridge. Will have to check to see if any of those places are in Newport News or not. 

• Like 2

Oh I see Littlesister. Send them to your Spam box and don't open them. If they see you are opening them, then they will think you are interested and still thinking about it. Don't do it. It's a scare tactic. 

• Like 1

We live not far from you by the junction of 64 and 664.  They take 15-20m to drive to from us.  Indian is 18 miles and 4 seasons is 21 miles.  We consider that 'close' but I may be jaded because I drove an hour to shop when I lived in Mississippi.   We usually go about twice a year.  If you really want to go but don't drive that far, you are welcome to come with us the next time we go.   It will probably be within the next month.  

• Like 1

To give you a viewpoint from another country, items seem to come and go in availability. It seems to be more brands than a foodstuff if that makes sense?

The baking aisle is good at the moment, as is the tinned veg and fruit. Fresh meat is readily available but tinned meats are hit and miss. The only real shortage I have noticed is cooking oil and frozen veg is really hit and miss at the moment. Tinned items were scarce for a while but are back on the shelves, however I have noticed that there is less in them!

What I am finding is that prices have gone up sharply. Chicken thighs were £1.78 a kilo 3 weeks ago, now £2.30. Flour was 45p for a 1.5kilo bag 3 weeks later it is 55p. Eggs are just starting to go up and some fresh veg is also more expensive, though there is no shortage. Vegetable oil has similarly gone up by about 20p. Still affordable, but these are substantial increases.

So it would seem that these shortages and price increases are not confined to our respective countries.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Wychwood, items seem to come and go at my stores too. One week the shelf is stocked and the next week it's empty. The next week it's back to being stocked again. I've noticed our frozen veggies are always on the low side too. Frozen potato products are usually empty and have been for many months now. I read where we are supposed to have a potato shortage this year which won't help. I haven't seen a good cucumber in over a year at my stores. Most of them are very thin and shriveled up. Pasta shelves were completely empty but have been making a comeback lately. Our prices are outrageous too, and still climbing.  

Thanks for your report. It's always nice to see how the countries compare.  :thumbs:

• Like 4