What do your grocery shelves look like?

@Jeepers Good grief! That is both sad and scary. I would not like to be a mum with a young baby at the moment. There are many reason mums don't or can't breastfeed and being faced with scenes like that on top of the guilt you feel being unable to feed your baby yourself must be overwhelming. 

I've just looked on a few supermarket websites and we don't seem to have that problem over here. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I was at Meijers yesterday and remembered to check out the baby formula aisle. 

image.jpeg      image.jpeg 

I can't imagine the desperation of the parents/guardians to get food for their littles. May God help them. :pray:

• Like 2

My oldest sister and her family live in Mexico. I showed them the pictures of empty formula shelves and they were shocked!! She says that everything is stocked there. There are NO shortages. If it weren't my niece I'd wonder, but I trust her. I don't understand that....how is Mexico well stocked and the UK and US aren't???:puzzledsmile::scratchhead:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Posted (edited)

DH and I were shopping yesterday.  Just one store (Hy Vee) but we went to their parking lot garden center first for some plants.  The vegetable area was reduced to only two isles (3 three-tiered shelves) and the selection was limited. The herb section was only about four foot wide when it’s usually one whole isle and even the flower area was not as usual.  This garden center usually has really nice plants at a reasonable price but not this year.  The veggies were not badly priced at 2 for $3 but this year most of the four packs only contained two or three plants and those plants weren’t as robust as in the past.  The single 4” pots of veggies and herbs looked a bit better but were almost $3 each and the variety was still limited.  When I asked about the shortages I was told they just weren’t getting the plants in though they had ordered them. Only two people were working and only one seemed to know what he was talking about, The other was a young teen aged girl.  A sign at the outdoor register said ‘ due to the shortages of workers the hours of attendance would be varied and to take plants inside for check out”.

Inside was not much better.  The produce was small, tired looking, and the prices for most things had gone higher than two weeks before.  Eggs were $3.47 a dozen. There were empty spots on shelves all throughout the store but it looked as if some things were now available that weren’t and others not.  We went mainly because of a buy on chicken quarters ($3.90 for ten pounds) and was pleasantly surprised to find there was a 2- bag limit instead of the one I had expected.  This was a one day only sale but thankfully the sell by date was several days out.  

Other than that buy we only got our normal items but instead of the &125 expected cost our total was almost $150 and that did not include the cost of the plants. The extra chicken was only $7.80 of that. I had expected that higher cost of course but the whole trip made me realize just how important it was going to be this year to raise more of our own food. 

Still, all the way through the store I kept thinking of the Ukrainians who were facing so much worse and I couldn’t help but to count my blessings that so far we had escaped those problems.  As soon as the storm we are having passes by I will go out and plant more in my deck top ‘farm’ and be grateful the noise I have been hearing was thunder and not shells exploding. 

Edited by Mother
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/nation-world/baby-formula-shortage-abbott-plant/507-eb114c50-55ed-481c-adbf-48d73f9da8af

“WASHINGTON — At the center of the nationwide baby formula shortage is a single factory: Abbott Nutrition's plant that has been closed for more than three months because of contamination problems.

On Monday, U.S. officials announced a deal with Abbott that paves the way to restart production at the Sturgis, Michigan, facility, the largest in the U.S. and source of leading brands like Similac.

But it's not yet clear how soon the site will be up and running. And even bigger questions remain unanswered, including what caused the contamination and whether U.S. regulators could have alleviated the current formula shortage by stepping in sooner. The plant shutdown exacerbated ongoing supply chain problems among U.S. formula makers...”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

As I was taking the picture there was a very pregnant woman in the same aisle. She wasn't looking at the formula section though. I could only imagine what she was thinking. I didn't say anything to her as she didn't make eye contact. One problem is the mom's to be can't buy ahead (if there was anything to buy) because they don't know what their newborn will need. I remember when g-son was born he needed so much of it. I know because I was buying it. Enfamil.

Joyfilled, I understand about your sister's shelves being full. I believe her. Their supply isn't being sent to a border or shipped overseas. 

As it turned out the bacteria in the plant was not what caused the babies illness/death. So the formula was safe after all. So where is it? I'm sure the expiration date was a few years out. I can't imagine they destroyed it all before they found out if it was safe or not. This happened in February. Does that date ring a bell? I believe in sharing. But this was choosing other children over our own. 

Abbott has said they made a deal to reopen its facility. What deal? It's either clean or it isn't. This not only caused a shortage if Similac products but all formulas because people switched over to other brands and wiped them out too. They say they can get some formula on the shelves by July. Sigh.

Abbott, FDA reach deal to resume making baby formula at U.S. plant amid shortage - MarketWatch

• Sad 3
Posted (edited)

This is really bad about the baby formula.  But I have also heard on TV that the baby formula has been crated up and sent to the borders for the illegals, and this is one of the reasons we are having a shortage in our stores. So, if what Fox news is saying is correct, then the shortage is not real. Just go to the Texas border and there you will see the formula being handed out for free to illegals with babies. So, Americans suffer trying to feed their babies while our government supplies the illegals with the baby formula. If this is really true, then you know where our tax dollars are going. Thinking it is time for all Americans to stop paying taxes till they fix this problem. 

Will be heading out to store this afternoon as the new sales start today. But only going to Food Lion today. 

euphrasyne:  I would love to go with you to those stores. But with construction going on it would depend on the timing of me being free to go. They are getting ready to start the fireplace work within the next couple of weeks. And I need to run to hardware store to buy paint for the hall closet that I use for a pantry as right now the doors are off because they had to put the floor down. Those are sliding doors, so they all have to be reset back in. Now is a great time to paint it as it is much easier without the doors on there. 

Edited by Littlesister
Forgot something.
  • Like 2

Sean Hannity's "pallets and pallets of formula" is fake news.  The pallets are Nido, which is milk rather than formula.  What happened to the formula is that Abbott Laboratories makes way too much of the US supply and had to recall several brands back in February.  According to the Wall Street Journal, “Last year Abbott accounted for 42% of the U.S. formula market, about 95% of which is produced domestically.”  Abbott had to do the recall and close down its big Michigan plant when four babies fell deathly ill after powdered formula that contained bacteria.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't watch Fox news. Or any TV news for that matter. You are correct that Nido milk is being shipped to the border. So is formula. Specifically Advantage. Abbott proved that the bacteria those babies contracted did not come from their facility. 

By law we have to feed the children. Which we should!  And adults too. But they are here illegally. Unvetted. For me, that is the major problem. 

The faux outrage that Biden is stockpiling baby formula for undocumented immigrants - The Washington Post

• Like 4

:wave:  Nice to see you posting, lblack.  Thanks for the input.  

• Like 1

I was in the area so I ran in Wal-Mart for a quick pick up. Summer outside toys are filling the shelves. :sEm_blush:  Canning jars and lids are plentiful except for 1/2 gallon jars. I haven't seen those in a few months. Also Food Saver bags were pretty empty too except for the rolls. So far the best places I've found them is at Kohl's. Kind of odd I thought. I will say that Wally World was very well stocked up in all the aisles. There was about a dozen cans of Enfamil formula. The cans were so small. I think it said 12.5 ounces. About the size of one of those small Crisco cans. They were $18.00 a can. Fruit and veggies looked pretty good but still can't compare to Meijers. I noticed the gas prices but I can't remember what they were. In the $4.40 range for regular. 

I made a deposit at the recycle bins and at the local Lutheran church food bank. It's nice there because they have tables set up under a porch area with bins on them. All you have to do is drive up and put your food in the bins. I didn't have a lot but I think someone will appreciate it. 

It's a beautiful day with the temp about 80 but with storms in the forecast for the next couple of days. 

Next on the agenda is paying bills and a nap with the heating pad on my neck. Mr. Arthur Itis is screaming for attention today. Probably sensing the impending rain forecasted. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Went to Food Lion the other day and canned goods have been stretched out to look full. Cans didn't go all the way back and just a few that were double stacked. Frozen foods were a bit better, and TP and paper towels are slimming down again. Chicken still low but plenty of beef and now pork. Fresh veggies didn't look that good. So can't wait for my garden to start producing. Everything is growing really well. Though the squash didn't come up so will hit the farm markets for that. Too late to start seeds now. 

• Like 3

Not only do our grocery shelves mirror what everyone has shared so far, but various news outlets are reporting that the shortages are only going to get worse. So, if it's half bare today, then it'll be even more bare in the months to come. Consequently I'm trying really hard to get a larger than normal garden put in but that is going very slowly.

• Like 5

We are hearing the same news here.  DH and I have been so concerned that when we replaced an old deck and handicapped ramp we opted to line the edges with planters instead of railing.  We have a great difficulty growing in a conventional way and container gardening has become a necessity for our peace of mind.  

• Like 6

I went to Walmart this weekend....and it seemed pretty well stocked. Grant it, I wasn't shopping for food, but the shelves looked full-ish. Formula, of course, was gone, like everywhere else (except for Similac. Anyone know why that one is still available?).

That seems weird to me. Why are our shelves stocked at this point when they haven't been??? Weird.

• Like 2
Posted (edited)

Well ladies, I had a nasty shock this morning. I was going to add a 1litre bottle of Vegetable oil to my weekly shop and by heaven! I nearly fainted!:0327: I bought a bottle last week at £1.40 this week.....£2.40! I'm topped off storage wise, but I like to try and replace an item as I use it but I had to forego it this week. Times are going to get tough.

Edited by Wychwood
  • Like 2
  • Sad 4

Ouch Wychwood! 

I heard someone say that they were freezing their coconut oil. Is that a thing? I know it lasts a long time but I've never heard of freezing it.  :shrug:

• Like 2

I don't use coconut oil, but I suppose you could freeze it, although over here it generally comes in jars with a long shelf life, so I'm not sure it would serve any purpose.:shrug:

• Like 3

Coconut oil comes in glass jars here as well. I have been buying it as I find it on sale. But that is getting slimmer and slimmer on sales for oil. Not heard about freezing it but would be a good idea if it would add another year or two for long term. I now have 4 jars of it. Haven't been to store in several days and don't plan to go till Thursday as it is senior day at Harris Teeter, and I have an RX to pick up. So will go around and see what is on sale that I can fill in any holes and stock up more for GS. He really has to get past this picky eating thing. I fixed breakfast this morning and he doesn't like spam bacon. So, for him that is out. He also doesn't like Canadian bacon. But will eat regular bacon. Got to figure out what to do for him so I can stock better for what he eats. He is buying food also, but I only want him to stock what he likes. French fries with chic fi lay sauce instead of ketchup is uck. But he loves it. Rice and soy sauce, Asian noodles and so far, that is what he eats the most of. He will eat raw veggies, but not cooked ones. Doesn't like anything cooked other than corn. So, it makes it hard. No green beans, butter beans, okra, tomatoes, squash and other veggies like this that he won't eat. He really needs to get out of this and learn to eat other things as food is going to be hard to find in the future.

• Like 4

I hear you on the picky eating Littlesister. Both of my boys are super picky! My oldest will eat canned chef Boyardee, but not good old hot dish if there is a speck of onion in it. We have explained how they will need to eat what we have when the food shortages start. And I do think that will happen in a few months. 

• Like 1

Littlesister, it sounds like he might go for an asian stir fry.   Very lightly cooked veggies and meat over rice noodles with sauce --usually soy sauce based.    All my kids are mad for the chic-fil-a sauce.  Since I found it bottled at Food Lion they have been over the moon.  On the raw veggies --it might be a texture thing for cooked veggies.  My 19 will not eat mushy veg.   I make veggie nuggets and bake them like chicken nuggets to give them some crunch and that solves that issue.  Then they can dip it in chic-fil-a sauce or marinara.  :buttercup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

euphrasyne,  I am going to try cooking veggies like chicken nuggets. Maybe he will eat that. Worth a try. I do cook the Asian stir fry for him. He will eat that very well. He can't get enough of it. It has been 3 years since I have cooked for him as he had not been staying with me with his DGD being so sick, and then his move to NC and then to Washington state. His taste for a lot of things he used to eat has changed in that 3 years and he became even more picky. He will eat those Maruchan Yakisoba noodles and the cup noodles stir fry for fast meals like lunch or even for a snack. Those right now are still 99 cents when not on sale. I try to stock those when they go on sale. Though he has been buying those himself. I will get them when I am out so I can get him stocked with what I know he will eat. 

Went to Harris Teeter today to pick up RX. That is when I do most shopping at that store. So, it is only every 3 months and I always pick Thursday to go for the senior discount. Spent more than I planned but well worth it. Lots of buy 2 get 3 free. Vits. were buy one get one free. So got what I was low on. Now that I have GS on Vit. D, C and zinc, that is the best way to go on those. Picked up a couple of cold meds as well on sale. Only bought some porkchops and some hamburger where meat was concerned. Bought a lot of fresh veggies for both GS and me. Can't wait for garden to come in. fresh fruit and veggies are getting bad on price. But I need to get veggies in this kid. Picked up cornmeal and sourdough yeast. The yeast was on sale, so got 8 packs. Will get them set up for freezer soon. I have been freezing yeast for making bread for a long while now with no issues so far. I usually buy it in the jars and put in freezer. But the sourdough yeast was only in packs. Restocked some low areas as since grandson has been here, some things get low faster than before. But that is fine. He has food stamps still and is now getting them here but with new job he might not be able to get them before long. He likes to go with me to buy food and he uses those to help stock a lot of things. But I want him to just use them for what he likes. Then when he gets his apt. or maybe rent a small house which is what he is hoping for he can take all that food with him. Now is a good time to get him stocked on what he needs as prices will not get any cheaper down the line and it could be a couple of years before he can get his own place. He wants to get his bills paid off first thing and then save for a much needed down payment on a new car or truck. Hoping he will get a small truck. He wants to rent a house so he can have a garden also. 

But back to the store. Harris Teeter seemed to be well stocked today but some areas were tightened up and made to look full. But there were some spots that were not well stocked. Mostly in the frozen food section. As for baby formula, I didn't see any at all. Paper products were better stocked this time. But the laundry detergent was slim pickings. Just stretched out across the front of shelves and empty in back. Otherwise, things looked ok. I made out good at reg.  Spent a lot but 181.92 in savings on coupons, senior discount and cashier got me a $10.00 off total bill coupon on top of it. So very good savings today. Still have to get it all put away though. Won't be going back again to that store for at least 2 and a half to 3 months again unless they have something on sale I really need. I only shop there about every 3 months to save gas when I need to pick up RX. So, is why I buy so much at that store when I do go.  Trying to save on gas now as much as possible with making my trips count when I have to go somewhere. Will be making a much hated Walmart trip soon though as GS needs shoe laces for his steeled toe boots and no one seems to have them. So will make that a one time thing with food and other things I might be able to get cheaper. To me it is still China town. I prefer to buy American when I can. Need to keep Americans working. 

• Like 1