MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What do your grocery shelves look like?

Ran up to Food Lion this morning for bread and a couple of other items. They had stocked so overall not too bad. But frozen food still low. Mostly frozen potato items. Also noticed the beef is much less than before. They have filled in and stretched out other things and shortened the beef area. Not a lot to choose from. Chicken was a bit better this time around. 

• Like 3

I went to the store again today and got some pictures. I could have gotten more, but the boys and DH were done shopping. I found everything I was there for, but I felt like I needed to get more just because so many of the shelves were low. What will tomorrow bring? :wacko:

IMG_20220613_150906214.jpg

IMG_20220613_150700168.jpg

IMG_20220613_150652709.jpg

IMG_20220613_150646104.jpg

IMG_20220613_150637752.jpg

IMG_20220613_150633718.jpg

IMG_20220613_150623806.jpg

IMG_20220613_150538164.jpg

IMG_20220613_150528170.jpg

IMG_20220613_150521804.jpg

IMG_20220613_150513781.jpg

IMG_20220613_150500687.jpg

IMG_20220613_150448871.jpg

IMG_20220613_150433168.jpg

IMG_20220613_150425074.jpg

IMG_20220613_150240239.jpg

IMG_20220613_150114855.jpg

IMG_20220613_150030099.jpg

IMG_20220613_150024968.jpg

IMG_20220613_150018044.jpg

IMG_20220613_145928822.jpg

IMG_20220613_145721127.jpg

IMG_20220613_145548428.jpg

IMG_20220613_145515447.jpg

IMG_20220613_145506687.jpg

IMG_20220613_145448718.jpg

IMG_20220613_145441210.jpg

IMG_20220613_145437683.jpg

IMG_20220613_145418065.jpg

IMG_20220613_145335734.jpg

IMG_20220613_144143620.jpg

IMG_20220613_145312356.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the updates! Isn't it funny how we still think about reporting back to Mrs.S when we are out and about. I do it too. And it's much appreciated by the rest of us. :bouquet:

Your shelves look only a little bit better than mine. Your bread is much better than mine. Your freezer cases are about as empty as mine although yours are much neater and cleaner than mine. Ours are usually a jumbled mess...kinda like my closets. :o  Maybe that's their plan to make them look more full and hide the bald spots. 

Your spices are a little better than mine but they looked faced forward too. Mustard has been tough this year. I heard it was due to a big mustard crop failure in France. 

Last week Sam's was out of DIL's coffee. Maxwell House in the blue can. I found 8 cans at Wal-Mart and got them all. I'm not playing' with her coffee. That was something about early frost and then a drought in Brazil. 

Oh My Gosh, $40.00 a can for baby formula!  :o     :sad-smiley-012:  :pray:

And THANK YOU to Bubs in Australia for ramping up your production to send formula to America without depleting your own.  :bow: That's the way it's done. 

I forgot to mention that I was out today and stopped in at Wendy's for a summer salad. They didn't have any salads at all. Not a one.

Edited by Jeepers
Forgot To Mention
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Thanks for the updates! Isn't it funny how we still think about reporting back to Mrs.S when we are out and about. I do it too. And it's much appreciated by the rest of us. :bouquet:

Your shelves look only a little bit better than mine. Your bread is much better than mine. Your freezer cases are about as empty as mine although yours are much neater and cleaner than mine. Ours are usually a jumbled mess...kinda like my closets. :o  Maybe that's their plan to make them look more full and hide the bald spots. 

Your spices are a little better than mine but they looked faced forward too. Mustard has been tough this year. I heard it was due to a big mustard crop failure in France. 

Last week Sam's was out of DIL's coffee. Maxwell House in the blue can. I found 8 cans at Wal-Mart and got them all. I'm not playing' with her coffee. That was something about early frost and then a drought in Brazil. 

And THANK YOU to Bubs in Australia for ramping up your production to send formula to America without depleting your own.  :bow: That's the way it's done. 

I forgot to mention that I was out today and stopped in at Wendy's for a summer salad. They didn't have any salads at all. Not a one.

Yes!!! I take pictures so I can remember and tell my kids/grandkids someday, but I was totally thinking about Mrs. Survival when I was taking them. I also think of something, and now that my Mom is gone, y'all are some of the first I think to ask. Thank you for that. :grouphug:

*ahem* perhaps we should not talk too much about closets. I'm scared to look too deep into mine. :24:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
54 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Also, Jeepers....that's CRAZY that our shelves are better than yours. I thought ours were bad!! I've seen them worse, but still.... I find that I'm getting used to the empty shelves. That's one reason I take pictures, so I can remember. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I thought so too. :0327:  But, if you look closely the price tags are on the shelves behind the glass. I think the $40 is for whatever that was on the top of those cases. :puzzledsmile:

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Midnightmom said:

I thought so too. :0327:  But, if you look closely the price tags are on the shelves behind the glass. I think the $40 is for whatever that was on the top of those cases. :puzzledsmile:

Oh my. I hope you are right!  

• Like 1

I think the $40. is for what is up on the top shelf. It looks like stuffed animals. 

Keep an eye on the sanitary shelves.  Was watching Water's World on Fox news and now they say we are going to have a shortage of tampons. It is getting crazier all the time. So, I am thinking if there will be a shortage of tampons, it will be a shortage on other things as well in that department. 

• Sad 1

Tampon shortage has begun. They are blaming this one on cotton and plastic shortages. Last year I stocked up on dribble pads so I'm good to 'go.'  :D  I don't use them but I see them in my future.

I went to the store tonight and did a mini stock up. I got mostly cold things like fruit, raw veggies, salad stuffs etc. I actually got quite a lot of stuff for $71.01. Pleasantly surprised me. I usually never leave without spending less than $100.00. I didn't look around much but the formula shelves looked just as bare as they always have. Bottled water was extremely low. The pop aisle had a lot of empty spaces. I'm thinking mainly because of the aluminum can shortage?  

• Like 2

Thank you, ladies.  This is very interesting.  I can't believe all the empty spaces Joyfilled.  It's just scary and makes you wonder how much worse it might get.  

Keep prepping everyone and I think we all need a :grouphug:

• Like 5

We came off formula not that long ago.   I tried to nurse, but milk never came in for this baby.  We even did the tubing to nipple trying to get that to help.  Nada.

Last year, Kroger orange top (off brand of sensitive similac)  was the only thing she would keep down.   Currently you cannot buy orange top formula off brand because NOWHERE has it.   

I typed out something, realized it made no sense, so I made a spreadsheet.  This is for sensitive formula and NA means nowhere has it.  I've used non sale, everyday prices with the exception that 1 I bought every month with a coupon for $5 off.  

Date Item Size price
1y ago Similac 29oz 22
Now Similac 19oz 32.54/NA
1y ago Enfamil 30oz 37.99
Now Enfamil 30oz 46.99/NA
1y ago Off Brand 33oz 19.99
Now Off Brand 33oz 21.85/ NA
1y ago Off Brand 48oz 25.99 (always $5 coupon so 20.99)
Now Off Brand any doesn't exist

• Sad 5

Euphrosyne, I know you are glad the baby is now off formula. I really feel for those that have babies still on it.  I also was not able to breast feed my child. No milk. My daughter with her first child started producing but never nothing but clear liquid. So baby was starving, and she had to resort to formula. Second baby she did fine.  Third child not so much and had to do both breast feeding and formula at times. Don't know why this happens but it's not a good thing now with newborn babies not being able to produce milk and can't rely on formula to feed baby either. This is going to be really hard on new mothers. 

• Like 2

Thanks for the visual aid Euphrasyne. That's pretty scary. I really feel for mom's. It's hard to believe this could happen to our country in this day and age. And it's been going on for such a long time. It really angers me to go after our babies.

The situation of trying to find the food and paying for it is bad enough but I can remember when g-son was a new born and we would fix a bottle in hopes he would take at least just a little of it. Or if he threw up most of a bottle we'd wait a little bit and fix another bottle to try to compensate for what he lost. We threw away a lot of formula just to keep him fed for those first 3 months or so. We didn't think anything of it. We were just trying to keep him nourished. We had plenty more. And he didn't have a sensitive stomach. Just normal infant 'spit up'. 

I can imagine moms praying there baby is able to keep that little bit of formula down and not waste it. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Tampon shortage has begun. They are blaming this one on cotton and plastic shortages. Last year I stocked up on dribble pads so I'm good to 'go.'  :D  I don't use them but I see them in my future.

I read tampons and pads.   Is there much difference in materials between pads and disposable baby diapers?   Diapers might be the next shortage.

• Like 2

I am very thankful I was able to breastfeed DD.  I had looked at formula in case we needed it, but there were ingredients I am allergic to in every brand we looked at.  So I was especially thankful and prayed for that milk all through the pregnancy and until DD was weaned.   I wonder now with the formula shortages if the medical community is a little more helpful to nursing mamas.   From the first time we nursed at the hospital, my entire hospital stay, most appointments at the pediatricians...although everyone said they were  "supportive of breastfeeding" they must have a very different definition of what "supportive" means.  Something along the lines of "discourage".    

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

although everyone said they were  "supportive of breastfeeding" they must have a very different definition of what "supportive" means.  Something along the lines of "discourage".    

Probably supportive as in, 'if you feel you must continue with this archaic decision, then we will support you, until you come back to your pre hormonal senses, by not turning you over to the child protective services'. Or something like that.  :mellow: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Probably supportive as in, 'if you feel you must continue with this archaic decision, then we will support you, until you come back to your pre hormonal senses, by not turning you over to the child protective services'. Or something like that.  :mellow: 

Thankfully, it wasn't that bad!  Very heavily pushing formula, though.  Very much trying to make me doubt breastfeeding.    

And, then the lovely relatives disgusted by the time DD was about 4 or 5 MONTHS old "You're still breastfeeding?  Don't you think by now she should be on formula?"   It is okay.  That is in the past.    Now they're equally digusted that we homeschool.   :happy0203:

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I believe I’ll wade in on formula and breast feeding and tell my story.  I breast fed my first three varying lengths of times, with varying success and fifty some years ago that was still okay though formula in the form of canned milk/karo syrup was okay too.  My kids were only thirteen months apart each and I was only 16 with my first.  I had lots of advise but listened mainly to my Mom’s which was do what felt right for me and the baby.  :happy0203:  They were all transitioned to goats milk and then fresh cow’s milk and did fine. 

Then 16 years later we had our fourth.  I went to LaLeche meetings and learned that breast feeding was popular and child led nursing was the norm.  It was a good thing too.  Our son had allergies as I had as an infant and began losing weight fast.  At five months we had tried every formula on the market, none of which agreed with him.  Our pediatrician finally said to go back to nursing full time, give him no solid foods until he was a year and eliminate all possible allergens from my own diet.  I got lots of flack from people when I was still nursing him at fifteen months while we introduced various foods.  First through me eating them and through my milk.  It was a slow process but I’m happy to say worth it. At 41 he has very few allergies.  By that time I was NOT a young mother and was influenced only by my research and the results and my Mom continued to give me wise advice.  Do what works best for you and the baby. :happy0203:  

My daughter and DIL nursed their babies as they could or used formula if needed.  My granddaughters and granddaughters in law did the same thing.  I have 18 grands and going on 21 great grands so you can see a lot of feeding is going on in my family.  And my advice to them?  Do what feels and works best for you and the baby. :happy0203:  

I have talked with many of them about the formula shortage.  One of the nursing grands is willing to pump to help feed the originally fed formula ones until they can find it again.  One new Mom is trying to get her milk to come in again and it’s working but she is supplementing canned or powdered goats milk and that is working.  One five month’s mom is transitioning to table foods and that is working.  And I am happy to say that all the grands are……. Well…. Grand! :happy0203:  

All of this to say I feel very sad for those Parents who are struggling with feeding their infants.  It is only made worse by having no supportive family.  One thing I do know and that is mothers will do anything they can to see their babies are fed.  If that’s going back to the old fashioned canned milk formulas, goats milk, or puréed foods then that’s what they will do and we need to support them in any way we can.  Even if that simply means letting a perfect stranger know you care. 

• Like 8

Went to Walgreen this morning.  Took picture of the shelves with no baby formula. Need to get it transferred to computer and then to here. Though I am still trying to get the other picture over here. It worked once and now I am having issues moving them. But will get it figured out. 

Seems another food processing plant burned down. This one Festive Foods Pizza plant in Belmont near Portage Waupaca County line. So far 97 food processing plants have burned. Also farmers can't afford the diesel for the farm equipment. Costing over $2000 a month they say. Heat wave killing off thousands of cattle. And much more manufactured accidents. As they say control the food supply, they can control we the people. 

This is all too consequential to be accidents. 

And that baby formula plant shut down again this time for flooding from heavy rain. 

This year is bad but what I fear is next year. With this years crops and food factories being destroyed. Next year will be a famine for sure. As soon as I get the house together to see what I have, I am going to set aside money to shop for things to stock up that I use a lot of. And with Grandson living here now, I will increase what he loves to eat. And yes rice is on that list even though I have well over 100lbs of it. I will be adding another 100lbs to that. He eats a lot of rice. Need to check my bucket situation also. 

These fires, the cattle dying and so much more is not accidental. I smell a rat. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Littlesister said:

Went to Walgreen this morning.  Took picture of the shelves with no baby formula. Need to get it transferred to computer and then to here. Though I am still trying to get the other picture over here. It worked once and now I am having issues moving them. But will get it figured out. 

Seems another food processing plant burned down. This one Festive Foods Pizza plant in Belmont near Portage Waupaca County line. So far 97 food processing plants have burned. Also farmers can't afford the diesel for the farm equipment. Costing over $2000 a month they say. Heat wave killing off thousands of cattle. And much more manufactured accidents. As they say control the food supply, they can control we the people. 

This is all too consequential to be accidents. 

And that baby formula plant shut down again this time for flooding from heavy rain. 

This year is bad but what I fear is next year. With this years crops and food factories being destroyed. Next year will be a famine for sure. As soon as I get the house together to see what I have, I am going to set aside money to shop for things to stock up that I use a lot of. And with Grandson living here now, I will increase what he loves to eat. And yes rice is on that list even though I have well over 100lbs of it. I will be adding another 100lbs to that. He eats a lot of rice. Need to check my bucket situation also. 

These fires, the cattle dying and so much more is not accidental. I smell a rat. 

I saw about the cattle. I have to say, I've lived in KS for over 10 years, and every year we get a few days of 100°+ weather. I've not once heard of cattle dying like that. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but that either it hasn't happened or they haven't gotten this much attention. I can't imagine that it's going to help the situation at all. 🙁

• Like 4

Joyfield, from what I have read up about hot weather and cattle. The heat does not bother them. Something about their fur or something. Though if a cow is really fat and has issues with lungs that is a possibility that heat would hurt or kill that cow. But from what I read not 10,000 cows. I am betting they were poisoned or as someone else said on news possible that the new G5 for internet killed them. I have heard of it killing birds but not cows. Something is going on and somehow some way we all need to get to the bottom of this before it gets way out of hand. Hoping and praying someone will find out what is going on and make it public. 

• Like 3

I saw that about the cattle.  Not in our country but in a Sudanese port over 16,000 sheep were drown. :(   Bolding mine.

Khartoum (Sudan) (AFP) – An overladen ship crammed with thousands of sheep sank Sunday in Sudan's Red Sea port of Suakin drowning most animals on board but with all crew surviving, officials said.

Issued on: 13/06/2022  

The livestock vessel was exporting the animals from Sudan to Saudi Arabia when it sank after several thousand more animals were loaded on board than it was meant to carry.

"The ship, Badr 1, sank during the early hours of Sunday morning," a senior Sudanese port official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. "It was carrying 15,800 sheep, which was beyond its load limits."

The official said the ship was supposed to carry only 9,000 sheep.

Another official, who said that all crew were rescued, raised concerns over the economic and environmental impact of the accident.

"The sunken ship will affect the port's operation," the official said.

"It will also likely have an environmental impact due to the death of the large number of animals carried by the ship".

Omar al-Khalifa, the head of the national exporters' association, said the ship took several hours to sink at the pier -- a window that meant it "could have been rescued."

The total value of the lost livestock "is around 14 million Saudi riyals, the equivalent of four million dollars," said Saleh Selim, the head of the association's livestock division, confirming also that the sheep were loaded onto the vessel at Suakin port.

He said livestock owners recovered only around 700 sheep "but they were found very ill and we don't expect them to live long."

Selim called for an investigation into the incident.

Last month, a massive fire broke out in the cargo area of Suakin port, lasting hours and causing heavy damage. It was not clear what caused the blaze.

An investigation has been launched to determine the cause of the fire, but has yet to release its findings.

The historic port town of Suakin is no longer Sudan's main foreign trade hub, a role which has been taken by Port Sudan, some 60 kilometres (40 miles) away along the Red Sea coast.

There have been moves to redevelop Suakin port, but a 2017 deal with Turkey to restore historic buildings and expand the docks was suspended after the ouster of longtime president Omar al-Bashir.

Sudan remains gripped by a chronic economic crisis, which has deepened following last year's military coup led by army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

The military takeover triggered punitive measures, including aid cuts by Western governments, who demanded the restoration of the transitional administration installed after Bashir was toppled.

Thousands of sheep drown as Sudan ship sinks (france24.com)

• Sad 3