What do your grocery shelves look like?

16 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I saw that about the cattle.  Not in our country but in a Sudanese port over 16,000 sheep were drown. :(   Bolding mine.

Khartoum (Sudan) (AFP) – An overladen ship crammed with thousands of sheep sank Sunday in Sudan's Red Sea port of Suakin drowning most animals on board but with all crew surviving, officials said.

Issued on: 13/06/2022  

The livestock vessel was exporting the animals from Sudan to Saudi Arabia when it sank after several thousand more animals were loaded on board than it was meant to carry.

"The ship, Badr 1, sank during the early hours of Sunday morning," a senior Sudanese port official said, speaking on condition of anonymity. "It was carrying 15,800 sheep, which was beyond its load limits."

The official said the ship was supposed to carry only 9,000 sheep.

Another official, who said that all crew were rescued, raised concerns over the economic and environmental impact of the accident.

"The sunken ship will affect the port's operation," the official said.

"It will also likely have an environmental impact due to the death of the large number of animals carried by the ship".

Omar al-Khalifa, the head of the national exporters' association, said the ship took several hours to sink at the pier -- a window that meant it "could have been rescued."

The total value of the lost livestock "is around 14 million Saudi riyals, the equivalent of four million dollars," said Saleh Selim, the head of the association's livestock division, confirming also that the sheep were loaded onto the vessel at Suakin port.

He said livestock owners recovered only around 700 sheep "but they were found very ill and we don't expect them to live long."

Selim called for an investigation into the incident.

Last month, a massive fire broke out in the cargo area of Suakin port, lasting hours and causing heavy damage. It was not clear what caused the blaze.

An investigation has been launched to determine the cause of the fire, but has yet to release its findings.

The historic port town of Suakin is no longer Sudan's main foreign trade hub, a role which has been taken by Port Sudan, some 60 kilometres (40 miles) away along the Red Sea coast.

There have been moves to redevelop Suakin port, but a 2017 deal with Turkey to restore historic buildings and expand the docks was suspended after the ouster of longtime president Omar al-Bashir.

Sudan remains gripped by a chronic economic crisis, which has deepened following last year's military coup led by army chief Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.

The military takeover triggered punitive measures, including aid cuts by Western governments, who demanded the restoration of the transitional administration installed after Bashir was toppled.

Thousands of sheep drown as Sudan ship sinks (france24.com)

I'm glad the people are ok, but wow, what a (another) loss!!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Went to Walgreen this morning.  Took picture of the shelves with no baby formula. Need to get it transferred to computer and then to here. Though I am still trying to get the other picture over here. It worked once and now I am having issues moving them. But will get it figured out. 

Kappy was having that problem also. I posted some "instructions" on her post. Here is a link to what I posted. Maybe it can help you too.

https://www.mrssurvival.com/topic/57032-whatcha-doing-today/page/25/#comment-491714

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Was in Walmart a few days ago. The aisles were packed with unshelved pallats of merchandise that they were working to get on the shelves.

Sometimes, when I go shopping, I am more interested in "box shopping" than I am in grocery shopping. This trip was one of those I had a few very specific items that I wanted/needed and the rest of the cart was filled with a variety of emply boxes. Here's a pic of my "box haul" (obviously taken after I got home). :girlneener:

2143799144_boxhaul.thumb.jpg.d2bb42bdb57657b5a0f81c7a13b2d9ff.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's quite a haul. What's ya gonna do with them?  I rarely see boxes up here. Our grocery cuts them open and mashes them flat right there on the spot. They tie them in bundles and store them outside in a huge fenced in area.

• Like 2

Good haul on the boxes MM.  

I haven't heard about the sheep. Seems it just never ends. But glad no people were hurt. Wonder why they decided to go over the limit of 9,000 to 15,000. They should have known the weight limit would not carry that load. 

Thinking of heading to the Bennett's creek market in a bit. Hoping for some good peaches. Haven't been in several weeks so wondering how they are doing with meat and the shelves. The fresh produce should be coming in now and I want to get some fresh tomatoes for tomato sandwiches and salads. Mine haven't come in yet but are very small. So will still be awhile yet. Also want to check the gas prices now, though I have a full tank right now. I still want to see what that is. 

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Jeepers said:

That's quite a haul. What's ya gonna do with them?  I rarely see boxes up here. Our grocery cuts them open and mashes them flat right there on the spot. They tie them in bundles and store them outside in a huge fenced in area.

You have to hit the stores at the "correct" time to get boxes. I use them in my pantry to organize cans, jars, pillow packs, etc. You never know what size you will need because it depends on what is already in there, so you "need" to have a large variety. I also use them to stack sundries on top of each other in other rooms. You just need to make sure you have 4 similar size items in the corners and then you can fill the middle with odd sized stuff that wouldn't stack too well on their own. I also use them in my freezer to minimize wasted space and make it easier to move stuff "on top" out of the way so I can get to stuff that is stored on "the bottom." Same for the refrigerator freezer.      :thumbs:

• Like 8

Good ideas Midnightmom. I could use some of those flat tray boxes too. Good to stabilize cans on a wire shelf. Good in a closet to keep things lined up together too. I could use that too.  :thumbs:

My store used to stock late at night. Now that they close at 10:00pm they stock any time of the day. I guess whenever someone is available to do it. I don't know about Wal-Mart, but I have noticed at Meijers they bring a lot of their merchandise out on a cart already unboxed. 

• Like 3

We are getting a Meijers store in downtown Suffolk. Not sure of the exact location and it will be out of my way to get there. But when it opens, I am going to make plans to go. Thinking it might be at the old Lowe's location out that way but not sure yet. Keeping an eye on it. 

Going to store in morning so will see how the shelves are looking then. Been a couple of weeks since I have been to store. I know the prices have gone up again. :gaah:But nothing we can do about it.

Jeepers, I have noticed that a lot of our stores are now stocking during the day instead of at night. I think they are cutting down on the help because of not having enough stock to put out to keep a night crew busy. 

• Like 3

Littlesister, I really like Meijers a lot. Keeping in mind we don't have a many grocery stores around here. But their fresh fruit and veggies are always the best around here.

• Like 1

Good deal of the box haul!! Our stores keep them around. Makes shelves look fuller, me thinks.

I made a quick run to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things that I couldn't find at Dollar Tree yesterday. Mainly gift wrap, salt and pepper shakers and I don't even remember what else. I picked up a few non-prep items like the gift wrap and salt and pepper shakers and some cheap curtain rods for the garage. Little things. The shelves in the non-food sections were looking pretty bare again. Mostly in the kitchenware, towels and curtain areas. The plastic tote aisle was nearly empty. Baby formula still looks abysmal. Both at WM and Meijers. Hope your baby takes Enfamil. There was plenty of milk and eggs although I didn't catch the prices. The trash bag shelves were nearly empty again. So was the cola aisle. I assume it's the aluminum shortage? Toy aisle is very lean. I was just looking for a Yahtzee game but they didn't have it...along with a lot of other game/toys. I found it at Meijers. 

I swung by Meijers and it was a big difference. The shelves were pretty full over there. I noticed the dog and cat food aisles were jam packed. So was the paper goods aisles. The only shortages I noticed were in the peanut butter and jelly aisle. Jams and jelly was very low and so was the peanut butter. Jif is back on the shelf along with Skippy and Peter Pan but there is a limit of two jars right now. I didn't really look at the cold/frozen foods. 

Leaving Wal-Mart I got hurt on the cart. Nearly knocked the air out of me. As I was pushing the cart out over the threshold, it suddenly came to an immediate halt. And I kept walking right into it. The cart was sort of heavy I guess. I had 2 big bottles of laundry detergent, 4 big boxes of trash bags, Gatorade and some canned goods etc. Anyway, when it stopped it really stopped. My stomach went right into the handle bar at a pretty good force. Well, it doesn't sound so bad now that I type it out but it really did hurt and left a mark. Might have really been tragic for a pregnant woman. 

I did snap a couple of pictures at Wal-Mart:

Baby Formula. That is a reflection on the glass on the right, not formula cans. 

image.jpeg   

Bread Aisle

image.jpeg

Chicken Case

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

It's pretty miserable over here too. Frozen veg is scarce again and there's not much choice in tinned meats. So far fresh fruit and veg is readily available but price is increasing for imported items.

Wish I could get some canning done.... still waiting for a 2 ring gas hob to be fitted in the kitchen.

Edited by Wychwood
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We have had some low spots mostly on frozen foods and a lot of the canned items are only about 3 deep and made to look full. Stores are shortening the areas for different items and replacing it with other items. I have noticed cleaning supplies are not as plentiful as they were. Paper products are thinner but still not to bad right now. Meat is hit and miss. Beef is a lot less than it was a couple of weeks ago. Still haven't been to Wal Mart and it has been a few months since I have been. Thinking I will have to break down and go there. Want to see how it compares to the other stores around here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I only took a few pictures at a Target in Indy. First week in July.

Oreo cookie shelf                                                      Pop shelf

image.jpeg     image.jpeg  

Here was Target's baby formula shelf and the signs by it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg   image.jpeg

I've never heard of Kendamil. But I'm not that up on brands. Something different I noticed is the sign in English and Spanish saying 4 per guest. It usually says 4 per guest except for people on WIC. They can take all that the WIC people says they can have. Something under that sign costs $43.99 Yikes. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I've been so busy, others have done the shopping for me....next week will slow down and I'll have to see what it's like!

Thanks for the pictures, Jeepers, it sure puts things into perspective! 😥

• Like 2

Joyfield, you have been very busy with the wedding. You will get back to the stores and hopefully they will be full again. Or at least mostly full. 

I went to store this morning. Food Lion which is my go-to store when I am only buying a few items. They were fairly full this time. Even the frozen food was filled up much better. There were some low spots but not bad this time. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I made a quick trip to Meijers today and remembered to take my camera. I stopped in Subway and they had this sign posted on their case. It was also posted on their front door. 

image.jpeg

And this is what the baby Formula STILL looks like. Where is all of that donated formula other countries sent to us?  :motz_6: 

image.jpeg

Milk                                                                                                          Eggs                                                                     Sugar

image.jpeg     image.jpeg     image.jpeg

Vinegar                                                                                          Cereal Left                                                                Cereal Right

Veggies                                                                                          Fancy Soup                                                              Chef Boyardee

Mac And Cheese                                                                             Baking Chips                                                        Paper Towels

Water                                                                                              Tea Drinks                                                                 Gatorade

image.jpeg     image.jpeg      image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow!!! I think your shelves look worse than ours at this point. That's crazy!! I'll have to remember to take pictures next time I go. I always think they don't look that bad until I start taking pictures. Then I realize how many empty spaces there are. It's a good reminder that this is not the old normal, but the new normal. May God help us!

• Like 1

Anyone know why there is a shortage on crunchy peanut butter? It's my hubby's favorite, and we are running low on our stash.

Strange.  We seem to have a shortage of creamy peanut butter but mark downs on crunchy!! :shrug:

• Confused 1
3 minutes ago, Mother said:

Strange.  We seem to have a shortage of creamy peanut butter but mark downs on crunchy!! :shrug:

Hubby says: road trip!! :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Our store, has pockets of empty spaces, items on my list, are seldom in stock, however, most items are spread out to hide the empty areas.  I’m very grateful we stocked up, the past few years.  I use one, put it on my list, even if I have 5-10 in our shelves.  :buttercup:  When it is on the shelf, at the store, I usually grab 2 or much more, of the items I have on my list.  Otherwise, DH orders it online, especially if it’s something we regularly use.  

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Joyfilled said:

Anyone know why there is a shortage on crunchy peanut butter? It's my hubby's favorite, and we are running low on our stash.

Wasn’t there a recall recently?

• Like 1