Jump to content
MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What would you regret?


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

If we had rolling out blackouts this summer, or there was an EMP, or there were more supply chain issues that left our shelves bare....pick your scenario. What would you regret? What is it that you've been putting off that you would kick yourself for not having done? 

 

For us? Getting a milking cow. A lot of other things too, but those we can probably work on and fix (like getting our outdoor stove up and running). But a milking cow? Not as easy. 

 

What is it for you? I'm afraid our time to prep is coming to a close.

Edited by Joyfilled
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, out_of_the_ordinary said:

Biggest regret...that we hadn't moved.   But, financially it was not doable for us at the time when houses were available and not extremely, extremely overpriced.  

The housing market is crazy. I hear of talk that they prefer people not to own anything. Ugh. I hope you are able to do a lot with where you are at!! :pray:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

I’m sure there will be many, like a generator to run our well pump and laying hens and a milk goat but often a regret turns into a blessing in disguise.  The generator, at least is next on the list for purchase.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Mother said:

I’m sure there will be many, like a generator to run our well pump and laying hens and a milk goat but often a regret turns into a blessing in disguise.  The generator, at least is next on the list for purchase.  

I hear ya, God is in the business of redeeming!! I'm just thinking that things are still available, somewhat....so if able, I'd like to close up on some of those regrets. If able. For us, getting a milking cow will be a sacrifice....even then I'm not sure we could do it. But I think at least moving in that direction would be a good idea. 

 

Of course, out main preps right now revolve around a nuclear attack (well....and weather, price increases, etc). But then that means that we could loose the cow, and all our outdoor animals for that matter. So lots of things to think about, consider. Should we instead buy the stuff we would get with the milk (all dairy products)? Lots to think about....

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I would regret not buying a solar generator to compliment son's gas powered one.

 

If we were knocked off grid now (EMP) my biggest regret would be not moving to Indiana fast enough. I'm trying but I'm only one old woman with a bad back with a two story house, an attic, a basement and a garage stuffed full. I do try but it isn't good enough. And yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. :pout:

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Jeepers said:

I would regret not buying a solar generator to compliment son's gas powered one.

 

If we were knocked off grid now (EMP) my biggest regret would be not moving to Indiana fast enough. I'm trying but I'm only one old woman with a bad back with a two story house, an attic, a basement and a garage stuffed full. I do try but it isn't good enough. And yes, I'm feeling sorry for myself right now. :pout:

Moving is TOUGH, Jeepers!! Even with all the help in the world it's still tough. I'm sorry you're going through it mostly on your own. We've called on local churches to help us before. And they did! It was so nice....they were happy to help and we were happy to be helped! They moved a huge couch to the basement and a piano in. I was pregnant and DH had a bad back. Would that be an option? Praying you can get some help somewhere!!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Annarchy said:

Regrets….

 

Having to go to TX every month to take care of MIL…  

Traveling away from home every month is tough. DH used to travel a ton for work, and now works from our basement. We love having him home! I can imagine, especially during these times that it'd be hard to be gone so much. I hope something works out for both your benefit soon!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Posted (edited)

Alternative power to the well.  How many times have I said this?  I've even spoken to an electrician and a well guy, and tried to get a solar-projects guy to come out here.  And still it isn't done.

(They want me to do the whole-house solar.  Not happening on a twenty-year-old mobile home.  I want a few panels for a few essential systems.  Nobody wants to install these for me.)

Edited by Ambergris
  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ambergris said:

Alternative power to the well.  How many times have I said this?  I've even spoken to an electrician and a well guy, and tried to get a solar-projects guy to come out here.  And still it isn't done.

(They want me to do the whole-house solar.  Not happening on a twenty-year-old mobile home.  I want a few panels for a few essential systems.  Nobody wants to install these for me.)

I don't understand why people don't listen to the smart people! Solar panels for the well would be nice... 

 

Does anyone know if solar panels can withstand an EMP?

Edited by Joyfilled
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Joyfilled said:

Does anyone know if solar panels can withstand an EMP?

I’ve done some research and there is controversy over that.  The general consensus is that smaller, stand alone systems would probably withstand an EMP but the wiring to hook them up might not.  A larger grid connected one would most certainly be affected but to what extent really isn’t known.  
 

Ambergris, It takes a large output system to run a well pump, most pumps being run from 220V.  They are not cheap though if the well is a shallow one it’s possible to get 12V well pumps.  We have been looking into them.  Unfortunately we have a submersible 220V well pump now and an auxiliary pump might not fit into the well easily.  The existing pump would take a lot to get it pulled and replaced.  We do have a small hand pump that attaches to pvc pipe that we can slide into the well but even at 20 feet that’s a lot of draw for that small pump and we aren’t sure if the water table level would even be high enough in the well. Also, once the well head is opened you could easily introduce bacteria which might mean boiling the water before drinking it. 
 

Water aside, if you only want to run lights or fans there are many small, inexpensive solar panels that will provide that.  Harbor freight is where we got ours on sale and they came with some very high efficiency lights.  Paired with batteries for a back up system the system becomes more expensive but work great.  We have three of them. An older one and a newer one to run the system and one still in the box for a back up.  
 

If anyone is thinking of a solar system, large or small, it night be wise to get them now for two reasons. One, some of the components with some systems come from overseas. And two, once the rolling black outs start they, like generators, will be scarce or priced much higher because of demand.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

I could get a moving company in here but they would take everything. There are a lot of things I don't want to take with me. So in the end, I need to go through everything to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I sure don't want to pay for moving junk I don't want. I've thought about renting a pod or even a pull along U-Haul but I couldn't load one up. 

 

I looked around at furniture donation and became discouraged. We have a Furniture Bank in my area. Like a Food Bank except you can donate furniture to help the needy. But you have to actually pay to have them come out to collect your donation. There is a scroll on the site that says they need sofas and dinning room sets. I have those (and a whole lot more) but I'm not paying them to come and get them. It just rubbed me the wrong way. They are less than 30 min. from my house. I haven't checked with Goodwill or Salvation Army yet. At this point, 1-880 got junk looks good to me even if I do have to pay for it. 

 

From the Cleveland Furniture Bank:

"Give your stuff new purpose

There is a fee for one of our trucks to pick-up at your location. The service fee for items located on the first floor of a home, on the porch or in the garage or the first floor of an apartment building is $25.  If the service team has to go up or down stairs in a home, the service fee is $50.  Items in an apartment building above the first floor can only be removed if there is an elevator and the fee is $50."

 

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Jeepers said:

I could get a moving company in here but they would take everything. There are a lot of things I don't want to take with me. So in the end, I need to go through everything to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I sure don't want to pay for moving junk I don't want. I've thought about renting a pod or even a pull along U-Haul but I couldn't load one up. 

 

I looked around at furniture donation and became discouraged. We have a Furniture Bank in my area. Like a Food Bank except you can donate furniture to help the needy. But you have to actually pay to have them come out to collect your donation. There is a scroll on the site that says they need sofas and dinning room sets. I have those (and a whole lot more) but I'm not paying them to come and get them. It just rubbed me the wrong way. They are less than 30 min. from my house. I haven't checked with Goodwill or Salvation Army yet. At this point, 1-880 got junk looks good to me even if I do have to pay for it. 

 

From the Cleveland Furniture Bank:

"Give your stuff new purpose

There is a fee for one of our trucks to pick-up at your location. The service fee for items located on the first floor of a home, on the porch or in the garage or the first floor of an apartment building is $25.  If the service team has to go up or down stairs in a home, the service fee is $50.  Items in an apartment building above the first floor can only be removed if there is an elevator and the fee is $50."

 

Yikes! That's sad....I understand, sortof, but then it makes it really difficult for people to donate. What about Craigslist? Or Facebook Marketplace? Give them away, they move them. That said, it opens up your home to strangers which can be dangerous. :( Even if you have someone there with you, I would say it was still dicey. Hmmmm....praying with you for a good option!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

I don't do any social medium and I'm very picky about who I let in. I even bristle over repair people.  :unsure:

 

I looked at the fee for donating as 'looking a gift horse in the mouth.' They have a clause on their site saying you have to sign a waiver incase anything in your house gets damaged. I have a lot of furniture to donate. Three bedrooms, living room and a dining room table and chairs. Plus some other odds and ends like a desk and cedar chest. All solid wood. A lot of older stuff but perfectly good. Especially if you had nothing. Their loss. 

 

I'll get it figured out sooner or later I suppose.

  • Sad 2
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

I don't do any social medium and I'm very picky about who I let in. I even bristle over repair people.  :unsure:

 

I looked at the fee for donating as 'looking a gift horse in the mouth.' They have a clause on their site saying you have to sign a waiver incase anything in your house gets damaged. I have a lot of furniture to donate. Three bedrooms, living room and a dining room table and chairs. Plus some other odds and ends like a desk and cedar chest. All solid wood. A lot of older stuff but perfectly good. Especially if you had nothing. Their loss. 

 

I'll get it figured out sooner or later I suppose.

Too bad, really. A lot of people could benefit, including my oldest DD and her future husband, who are in need of stuff like that right now, and are just starting out. Yes, something will work out. I pray it will be a blessing to you and to those who receive it.

  • Like 2
Link to comment

Jeepers, that is crazy.   The local thrift stores here will come out and pick up your junk for free if there is enough of it.   Alternatively, you could donate one or two pieces a trip if you have access to a truck or trailer.   Sometimes we donate a few boxes/large items at a time so as to not look crazy.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Jeepers could you call a church and see if they have anyone who needs those items? They might be willing to come to get them for free.

 

I'd regret not putting in a big garden. It's just not happening this year, but I will work to get in what I can. All we can do is take the next best steps which in my case is to keep finishing the home improvements so I can organize my home and build my pantry back up.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Jeepers, I think the Samaritans purse will come and pick it up for free. You could try calling them if you have one in your area. That is a good one as they help people that have lost things in fires and so much more. 

I regret that I haven't had the well worked on yet and is next on my list. Need a new pump and the plan is for both solar for the electric pump and also one where I can pump water if need be. So having both would be a plus. Rain barrels is also on the list but a bit further down the list.  I don't regret that Dh and I never moved to country as he had the stroke back in 93 and it just never happened after that. But I still want to move but now is a very bad time to do it with the housing market as well with my age, not sure if I could handle the move. Would have to have movers to pack and move everything for me. I would pack a lot of things but would not be that easy. Though like jeepers said, I could get a pod to load things I don't want the movers to move for me. And then have it dropped off at the new place. I still want to move to country and get out of this area. That part I really regret we could not do early on. But it was what it was. Chickens. Still want to do that but on back burner as well. Need to get a chicken coop and a run for them. Can't let them run loose with fox and opossums.  Fencing in back yard is on my list and regret not doing that years ago. Living in neighborhood on corner lot there is no privacy here. Regret not doing that a long time ago now that things are getting bad. But back then there was no food shortage and inflation. Now that is changing, and I need to be able to hide the garden and the firewood. Lots to work on and hope I can get it all done next year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
10 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Jeepers, I think the Samaritans purse will come and pick it up for free. You could try calling them if you have one in your area. That is a good one as they help people that have lost things in fires and so much more. 

I regret that I haven't had the well worked on yet and is next on my list. Need a new pump and the plan is for both solar for the electric pump and also one where I can pump water if need be. So having both would be a plus. Rain barrels is also on the list but a bit further down the list.  I don't regret that Dh and I never moved to country as he had the stroke back in 93 and it just never happened after that. But I still want to move but now is a very bad time to do it with the housing market as well with my age, not sure if I could handle the move. Would have to have movers to pack and move everything for me. I would pack a lot of things but would not be that easy. Though like jeepers said, I could get a pod to load things I don't want the movers to move for me. And then have it dropped off at the new place. I still want to move to country and get out of this area. That part I really regret we could not do early on. But it was what it was. Chickens. Still want to do that but on back burner as well. Need to get a chicken coop and a run for them. Can't let them run loose with fox and opossums.  Fencing in back yard is on my list and regret not doing that years ago. Living in neighborhood on corner lot there is no privacy here. Regret not doing that a long time ago now that things are getting bad. But back then there was no food shortage and inflation. Now that is changing, and I need to be able to hide the garden and the firewood. Lots to work on and hope I can get it all done next year.

This is why I'm thinking about regrets....because last year we had the money for a milking cow, and this year we have to scrimp and save for it. It's fine, just makes things a little tighter. The thing is, I saw what was coming last year, and we still didn't buy one. :sigh:

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

I really like Samaritans Purse but there aren't any around me.  

 

It's a good lesson to think about regrets now so hopefully we still have time to thwart some of them. I thought of a few more. Medical, dental and eye care. If I  don't start on those soon I will regret it in a SHTF situation.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Jeepers, I am with you on the medical, dental and eye care. I really need to get those taken care of.  Put off mammogram 3 years ago due to DH's health and now construction. Going to take care of all of this hopefully in the next month or two. Hoping they will be done with house within a month or sooner.  Don't think I will need to cancel the foot doctor as that is still 3 months away. 

I did think of something I was planning to do about 3 years ago and that was to buy a couple of those 250 to 500 gal. plastic water containers that are wrapped with a metal frame. Now they cost more, and I still want them. Hoping by end of year I can get at least one. Will see how it goes. That was a huge regret because of a price hike that I wasn't expecting 3 years ago. I wanted to put it at end of the big garden for watering garden. Guess I better be thinking fast for the rain barrels.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
19 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Jeepers, I think the Samaritans purse will come and pick it up for free. You could try calling them if you have one in your area. That is a good one as they help people that have lost things in fires and so much more. 

 

Samaritan's Purse was here helping re-supply people after the Carr Fire raged through Redding. :wub:

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I'm overdue for a mammogram too. I've read where some medical scans and images are being pushed back or postponed. I can't remember why they said. It's a shortage of some imaging material or something from China that we can't get. I'm not sure what all it effects but it's getting sort of serious in hospitals. Another link in the supply chain broken. 

  • Sad 4
Link to comment

Braces for 2 of our kids. Dentist said it'd be better sooner than later. But the cost....:sigh:

  • Sad 3
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.