MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Grand Solar Minimum

Are any of you prepping with that in mind? 

It's May 25th, and we're running our wood stove. It's cold!! 

IMG-20220504-WA0005.jpg

• Like 2

I’m not sure I realized we were in one.  It would be interesting to see if there might be something specific we should prep for.  More weather changes perhaps?  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mother said:

I’m not sure I realized we were in one.  It would be interesting to see if there might be something specific we should prep for.  More weather changes perhaps?  

I'm not hugely versed in the subject, but listen to a guy that goes by Ice Age Farmer: https://www.iceagefarmer.com/  . Also, a guy that goes by Adapt 2030 https://www.oilseedcrops.org/mini-ice-age-conversations-podcast/ .  The latter of these two gets into some ideas that I'm not sure about, but I don't have to agree with everything he says to know he's onto something.....

The basic idea they present is that the world is getting cooler, and it has to do with the sun and it's cyclical solar cycle. It happens every so often....the big question is how long and how big of an impact it will have. It's not so much that it will get cooler (although it certainly can), but that it will affect food production, growing regions, how long seasons are, droughts. It's interesting to look into...and I wish they were wrong, but I haven't seen that they are so far. Just one more thing to think of!

• Thanks 1

I guess I did know about that but just not by that name.  Just one more thing to adapt to and survival is primarily being adaptable.  We could worry about it but we could also be prepared to change our food production methods.  Take tips from people in places like Colorado who have extremely short growing seasons or those growing in desert climates.  Hmm, that brings up the thought of how the changes might affect those people.  Perhaps we will all need greenhouses with hydroponic systems.  

You are right, it DOES make interesting research. :grinning-smiley-044:  

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Mother said:

I guess I did know about that but just not by that name.  Just one more thing to adapt to and survival is primarily being adaptable.  We could worry about it but we could also be prepared to change our food production methods.  Take tips from people in places like Colorado who have extremely short growing seasons or those growing in desert climates.  Hmm, that brings up the thought of how the changes might affect those people.  Perhaps we will all need greenhouses with hydroponic systems.  

You are right, it DOES make interesting research. :grinning-smiley-044:  

Haha! It does!! It's like a rabbit hole....just keeps getting more and more interesting!  We bought our wood cooking stove because of this. It covers a bunch of other reasons too, but this was the main reason we got it. We also have shopped at thrift stores buying wool and heavy coats of varying sizes to clothe our family and others if needed. And the greenhouse, we built it for this reason, too. Last winter we lost a couple of panels in a severe wind storm (highly unusual one, at that), and haven't fixed it yet, although we do have the panels. So much to do, so little time!

• Like 1

Joyfilled, I've listened to those two guys too.

Also Danny from Deep South Homestead has been talking about it for a couple of years now. He has put his money where his mouth is with all of his farm improvements. A couple of days ago he showed how to cut up a chicken. It was already dead and plucked, Good thing or else Youtube would have removed it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Joyfilled, I've listened to those two guys too.

Also Danny from Deep South Homestead has been talking about it for a couple of years now. He has put his money where his mouth is with all of his farm improvements. A couple of days ago he showed how to cut up a chicken. It was already dead and plucked, Good thing or else Youtube would have removed it. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I've seen him....I'll look him up! I wish I was more tech savvy, I'd switch from YouTube to something else, but I just don't want to take the time to learn something else. We have chickens ready to butcher soon, so I'll look it up! Hubby has done it before a few times, but it's always good to see what others do and learn from it!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Joyfilled said:

I'm not sure I've seen him....I'll look him up! I wish I was more tech savvy, I'd switch from YouTube to something else, but I just don't want to take the time to learn something else. We have chickens ready to butcher soon, so I'll look it up! Hubby has done it before a few times, but it's always good to see what others do and learn from it!

Check out the Hollar Homestead on YT. They have several videos showing how they set up their station, etc. They actually time lapse through most of the "gory" stuff, but you can get a basic idea of what is needed to do it safely. 

• Thanks 2
4 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

Check out the Hollar Homestead on YT. They have several videos showing how they set up their station, etc. They actually time lapse through most of the "gory" stuff, but you can get a basic idea of what is needed to do it safely. 

I was going to get stuff done today, but now...:24:

• Haha 2