Issues That May Effect Our Food Supply

It's becoming more and more difficult to find info on fires that effect our food supply. They aren't being reported for some reason. But today I did run across the two below. I titled the thread the way I did so we can report issues like fires, explosions, derailments etc. (all of which have happened within the last month or so) in one place.

From  PA. It says to give your email if you want to read more. I didn't. Very little reported on this one. Might be small.

Crews going to chicken houses on fire in northwest Berks

PUBLISHED: May 28, 2022 at 2:00 p.m. | UPDATED: May 28, 2022 at 2:28 p.m.

Fire crews from Berks, Lebanon and Schuylkill counties have bee called to chicken houses on fire Saturday at a farm in northwest Bethel Township.

The initial calls went out shortly after 1:30 p.m. for a chicken farm in the 1500 block of Pine Grove Road north of interstate 78 and a short distance from Schuylkill County.

The first personnel on scene immediately called for a second alarm and numerous fire companies were dispatched to the scene.

Crews going to chicken house on fire in northwest Berks (readingeagle.com)

This from Minnesota. It was reported that McDonalds is one of their primary customers but this article doesn't verify that. 

Fire kills tens of thousands of chickens at Wright County farm

Updated: 10:40 PM CDT May 29, 2022

HOWARD LAKE, Minn. — Cleanup is underway at Forsman Farms in Howard Lake after a fire on Saturday night.

According to the Wright County Sheriff's Office, crews responded to the scene off Highway 12 around 10 p.m.

Sgt. Troy Wachter told KARE 11 the fire destroyed a poultry building with an estimated 200,000 chickens inside.

Forsman Farms spokesperson Jon Austin said they do not have a firm number yet but they're estimating at least tens of thousands of chickens were killed, up to a couple hundreds of thousands. Some chickens in adjacent buildings were also affected, mostly from smoke inhalation. 

Eddie Olson was having a bonfire in his backyard, about six miles away in Cokato, when he started hearing sirens. 

"I'm a SKYWARN spotter so I do a lot of radio communications and stuff and this is one of maybe 50 radios I have. I just grabbed one and heard that they were dispatching other departments. So I knew it was big," Olson said. 

Olson filmed video at the scene of the fire. 

"It's a lot of chickens. It's a hit to the egg market, it's people's jobs, it's a local community. So any time anything big like that happens, it's not good," Olson said.

Officials say no injuries were reported, but there was extensive damage to property.

In a statement, Austin said, “Overnight, a fire destroyed one of our barns at our Howard Lake farm. No one was injured and we are grateful that first responders were quickly on scene to put out the fire. Unfortunately, chickens were lost because of the fire. We are evaluating the extent of the damage – which appears to be confined to a single structure – as well as investigating the cause of the fire.”

The Wright County Sheriff's Office said the farm fire is believed to have been accidental but the state fire marshal is investigating the cause.

Fire kills tens of thousands of chickens at farm in Wright County | kare11.com

• Sad 6
  • 2 weeks later...

A major Meijer's distribution center was destroyed by a tornado. At least this one wasn't man-made. :D

The pictures and videos are pretty scary. 

'Literally feet away from dying': Meijer worker narrowly escapes tornado's strike on Ohio distribution center'

June 8, 2022

'Literally feet away from dying': Meijer worker narrowly escapes tornado's strike on Ohio distribution center (foxweather.com)

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I heard about this Jeepers. And you are right. At least this time it was weather related and not possible man-made fire. Just too many warehouse fires to be coincidental 

Also heard about the chicken house fire. And I went to store yesterday and eggs more than doubled in price. Just over a week ago I bought a dozen eggs at .89 a doz. and yesterday those same eggs were $1.99 a doz. I needed them so I paid the price. Like I had any other choice in the matter.  This is not over by any means.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have heard of a lot of them as My e-husband's father worked for Cargill, and my SIL and now GS both work in food distribution. So, I do know about a lot of these places. To many of them to be accidental fires. Just saying.

• Like 2

And the hits keep coming!

Article on The Blaze:  'Smash to smithereens': China threatens US with 'war no matter the cost' over Taiwan

China's defense minister threatened all-out war while discussing Taiwan's independence during a meeting between top Chinese and American military officials. The threats were made on Friday during the first face-to-face meeting of U.S. Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin and Chinese Defense Minister General Wei Fenghe.

"If anyone dares to split Taiwan from China, the Chinese army will definitely not hesitate to start a war no matter the cost," warned China’s defense spokesman Wu Qian – who was quoting General Wei.

When asked if the U.S. would defend Taiwan militarily if the CCP invaded, President Biden said, "Yes... that's the commitment we made. The idea that it [Taiwan] can be taken by force... is just not appropriate. It will dislocate the entire region and be another action similar to what happened in Ukraine."

The Taipei Times reported this week that Beijing estimates that the Chinese military will be ready to invade Taiwan by 2027.

Hopefully we will have a new administration by then that can restore the status quo.

• Like 1

I did see where President Biden said that. Out loud. :sigh:

One thing I disagree with is the date 2027. I think they could do it now if they wanted to. D-ex had a very high A.F. security clearance when we lived in Taiwan. They were gearing up 50 years ago and I'm sure they haven't slacked off since then! That was when Mao was still in power on the mainland and Chaing Kai Shek was the president of Taiwan. The threat wasn't quite as high then because they had very strong US military bases stationed there and we were training them. I'm not sure how it is now.

I think I need to brush up on my Chinese. Ni hau ma da nan ren = How ya doin' big boy.  :D

• Like 2

There is still so much going on the world that I can't remember it all. There are still fires going on. A small one at the JBS (largest meat packer in the world) meat packing plant in Michigan. Fire at a Liquid Natural Gas terminal in Texas has taken it off line. Festive Food, a large food packaging plant in Wisconsin, had a fire that seems to have destroyed the entire operation. 

22,000 west coast dock workers threatening to go on strike. Docks are starting to become backed up again. German dock workers are threatening to strike. Most specifically in Hamburg. South Korea has a massive truckers strike going on right now. It is causing one of their major steel plants to shut down. They produce a lot of our electronics such as Samsung. It might be resolved right now.  U.S. Foods on the east coast are threatening a strike. They are a huge food distribution center catering mostly to restaurants.

As OOTO mentioned, Smithfield plans to shut down their operation in California and Arizona and move it elsewhere. The cost of doing business out there is no longer worth it. 

The beef processing plant that has started construction in Iowa, has been canceled. 

Our stock market and the Japanese bond market are exploding. Libya has shut down nearly all of their oil fields and halted all of its oil production

Nigeria's power grid has totally collapsed. Yes, it can happen. Texas set another high of electrical use yesterday because of the heat. 

And Nicaragua has invited Russian troops and planes and ships and possibly missiles into their country. Mexico is railing against America because of the American led NATO operations in Europe. Just in time for the 30 mile long invasion of illegal immigrants crossing our border from Central America.

At the moment I'm not even thinking about China.

Well heck. It will be easier to just post this:

Here is the Updated List of US-Based Food Manufacturing Plants Destroyed Under Biden Administration (thegatewaypundit.com)

Links to the above:

Multiple crews responding to fire at food manufacturing facility near Portage-Waupaca County line (wsaw.com)

Fire at LNG terminal in Texas jolts residents, fuel markets - ABC News (go.com)

Fire at Green Bay JBS causes nearly $30,000 in damage (nbc26.com)

Labor talks at West Coast ports hit snag amid automation issues (nypost.com)

German Ports Brace for More Strikes as Pay Talks Fail (gcaptain.com)

South Korea truckers’ strike threatens to disrupt computer chip production | South Korea | The Guardian

Union threatens a work stoppage at some US Foods facilities (restaurantbusinessonline.com)

Smithfield Foods to shutter California meat-packing plant - ABC News (go.com)

Beef facility in Tama, Iowa to pause construction due to rising costs (kcci.com)

BOJ ramps up bond buying to defend yield cap, undermining jawboning | Reuters

Libya Loses 1.1 Million Bpd As It Shuts Down Nearly All Its Oil Fields | OilPrice.com

Blackout as Nigerian national electricity grid breaks down again - Vanguard News (vanguardngr.com)

Texas power demand breaks record as severe heat wave hits the state (cnbc.com)

Nicaragua gives permission for Russian troops to enter country - CBS News

Mexico in the face of Russia's invasion of Ukraine - economic, political, and commercial consequences | Wilson Center

A Caravan of Migrants Set Off Toward U.S. During Americas Summit - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

• Sad 3

DH keeps looking at his 401K and freaking out.  Stock market is crashing.  I told him to stop looking for now.   We've done what we can to mitigate losses and will just have to ride some of it out. 

*Note that we are in very conservative, safe funds and it is tanking across the board.  

• Sad 4

Wow! two more fires I didn't know about. And it just keeps getting worse. 

Euphrosyne, I have been watching my retirement. DH and I pulled out of the 401k with both our jobs when we retired and put it all in different conservative safer funds. Though I am calling my financial adviser today to find out what is what and where that is going.  I have been hearing that Biden plans on taking our retirement and what is in banks when the banks fall. The collapse of the dollar will come about for a digital currency. Part of the build back better plan and we will lose over half of our money. I hope and pray it isn't true but have been watching and reading up on the stock markets, and such. Not good. 

This country is in a boat load of trouble, and I fear we are running out of time to prepare.

1 hour ago, euphrasyne said:

DH keeps looking at his 401K and freaking out.  Stock market is crashing.  I told him to stop looking for now. 

The numbers are only on paper. My brother used to say that that our investments only lose value if we CASH THEM IN during a crash. I understand what he said but its still difficult to see our life savings going up in flames, just like everything else. :hug3:

• Like 6

Euphrasyne I'm the same way with my stocks. Except I only look at the monthly statement. Mine are conservative too. I've had them for a couple of decades and I learned to not panic. Stocks go up and they go down. If you have the good established ones, you can usually ride out the storm. And if you can ride it out, it's better to hold on to them, for now, if you can, because selling them will cost you a ton at the end of the year in capital gains. I sold one of my low performers to use as a down payment on a house. It wasn't all that much but I was so surprised by how much I owed in capital gains that year. Taxes are killer!

Also, I never cash in my dividends. They all roll into a savings account at the company. That provides a pretty good savings nest egg to fall back on if I need it. The interest is low but it's something. And the feds are starting to raise that rate again. Two or three times a year I make an auto withdraw from that savings account into my regular bank checking account. That passive income is how I live. Along with Soc. Sec. now. 

WARNING!

I am not a financial guru by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just relating my experience and what works for me.

• Like 1

I'm fairly satisfied with how the 401K is set up.   It is through his work at the navy so we don't cash anything out, just move things around annually or so.   We are about 10 years out of retirement.   DH keeps looking at it every day.  I told him that it wouldn't help anything.   When the big C hit in 2020 he saw it go down 70K in one week.   Most (not all) of that came back, but he just likes to look and freak out.    I manage everything else because I'm better at it and I cannot deal with his look at it daily and freak out approach.   I just make budgets reflecting possible scenarios to reflect me turning 120 with all the projected expenses.  Then we follow the  main one and swap to one of the alternates if something happens.    I really am OCD.  

• Like 1

I found this today and it helped me to be calm.   Perhaps it will help with perspective for someone else.  

4deffaba6c7e0cdee716928a31091f9d.jpg

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

And some are showers of blessings! 

• Like 4

Well isn't this just Hunky- Dory. 

THE Abbott baby formula manufacturer has shut down again after being open for less than 2 weeks. This time flooding. They say there is "ample existing supply of EleCare" special formula. I say it's only because of the humanitarian aid we are receiving from other countries. We can't even take care of our own.  :banghead:

Abbott's baby formula plant closes again after severe storms and flooding

June 16, 202211:01 AM ET

Abbott has stopped production of its infant formula at its Sturgis, Mich., plant less than two weeks after restarting due to severe thunderstorms that caused flooding inside the plant.

The company announced the pause in production in a statement on Wednesday, adding that it will re-sanitize the plant and production is likely to resume in a few weeks.

"Severe thunderstorms and heavy rains came through southwestern Michigan on Monday evening, resulting in high winds, hail, power outages and flood damage throughout the area. These torrential storms produced significant rainfall in a short period of time – overwhelming the city's stormwater system in Sturgis, Mich., and resulting in flooding in parts of the city, including areas of our plant," the company said.

"As a result, Abbott has stopped production of its EleCare specialty formula that was underway to assess damage caused by the storm and clean and re-sanitize the plant," it added.

The company said it has informed the Food and Drug Administration and will conduct comprehensive testing to ensure the facility is safe to resume production.

"This will likely delay production and distribution of new product for a few weeks," Abbott said.

Abbott says there is ample supply of specialty formulas despite the plant closure

The company had just announced the reopening of the plant on June 4 and planned on releasing the EleCare formula to consumers on June 20. But even with the latest pause in production, the company says it "has ample existing supply of EleCare" and other specialty formulas to last consumers until more is available.

Production of EleCare — formulated for infants with allergies to cow's milk – had been stopped at the Sturgis plant since February when the plant closed following a Cronobacter sakazakii bacterial contamination.

Abbott also issued a voluntary recall of EleCare and other specialty formulas in mid-February after learning four infants had become sick with bacterial infections and had consumed products made at the Michigan plant. Two infants ultimately died.

The recall only exacerbated a larger nationwide shortage of baby formula that has been a major stressor for parents for months.

To ease the strain, the Biden administration has been working with manufacturers to import formula from overseas. President Biden also invoked the Defense Production Act in May to help production in the U.S.

Abbott says it is nearly back at the production level of formula it saw in January despite the Sturgis plant being out of commission.

Dr. Robert M. Califf, the commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration, said on Twitter that the storm was "an unfortunate setback." He added that the measures already taken mean the U.S. should have enough product to meet demand and that the FDA and Abbott both want to get the facility up and running again in a quick and safe manner.

"We know Abbott is working quickly to assess the damage and will be reporting its progress to us in the days ahead," Califf said. "Once the company establishes a plan, FDA will be back in the facility working to ensure that they can restart producing safe and quality formula products quickly."

Abbott's baby formula plant is closed again after flooding : NPR

• Sad 1

A huge fire at a produce warehouse distribution center in KY. It was 2 days ago but I haven't heard any updates.  Bolding mine.

Crews battle fire at Castellini Company produce warehouse in NKY

Published: Jun. 15, 2022 at 5:32 PM EDT

CAMPBELL COUNTY, Ky. (WXIX) - Crews from multiple fire departments are at the scene of a warehouse fire in Wilder, according to Campbell County Dispatch.

The fire broke out sometime before 5:15 p.m. in the Castellini Company-owned building on Plum Street. 

Authorities say the fire started from a trailer that was parked at the produce warehouse and then spread through the structure.

No injuries have been reported.

The Castellini Company is a supply chain company specializing in produce sourcing and delivery and transportation services, according to the company’s website.

We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Crews battle fire at Castellini Company produce warehouse in NKY (fox19.com)

To get a better idea of what they do you might want to look at their website. Or maybe not.

Wholesale Produce Distributor - Supply Chain Services | Castellini (castellinicompany.com)

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

Just to show It isn't only in the U.S. This is from the Netherlands.  Boding mine

Two hundred baby cows die in barn fire ‘They were trapped like rats’

By The Animal Reader  June 15, 2022

Two hundred calves died in a barn fire early Wednesday morning in Streefkerk in the Netherlands. The baby cows in the burning shed were in boxes and could not escape. “They were trapped like rats,” a reporter from local Dutch media RTV Rijnmond said.

The fire broke out around 4 a.m. in one of the four large stables at the animal farm. The fire brigade managed to prevent the fire from spreading to the other three stables, where 1000 calves were locked up.

The cause of the fire is unknown. In August 2019, a large barn fire at the same farm killed 1500 pigs.

The Dutch government hasn’t prioritized fire prevention on animal farms despite more than 1.3 million animals dying in barn fires over the past eight years.

In April, 43,000 chickens died in a barn fire in Heusden in the Netherlands. “The animals were trapped like rats and couldn’t go anywhere,” a neighbour who saw the devastating fire from her home told Dutch news channel RTL Nieuws then.

In January, fourteen horses died in a fire near the village of Koningslust in the Netherlands. When the fire started, the horses were locked in the barn and couldn’t escape.

Two hundred baby cows die in barn fire 'They were trapped like rats' (theanimalreader.com)

Edited by Jeepers
Forgot Link
  • Sad 1