MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Proficient layers

Help! My layers are producing faster than I can use or sell! I have made tons of noodles, eaten eggs until I am cackling and I think I heard my hubby crow this morning! We don't have a big enough connection to sell, and are getting g over run. Any suggestions?

• Haha 2

I used to go through that too franksgirl.  I would freeze some in ice cube trays to have enough in the winter when they didn't lay as well. I'd also give some to family or friends.  Then, before I knew it, I didn't have enough for everyone wanting to buy.  It's a vicious circle.  :faint3:

I don't know what you're asking for your eggs but I was at a Farmer's Market in Des Moines yesterday and they were getting $6.50 dozen.  Not organic just your typical run around the yard chickens.

Good luck!

• Like 2

I have frozen some.  Made tons of noodles.  Gave them away.  I think people are starting to avoid me,  like zucchini season! 

• Haha 7

Have you considered boiling them, mashing them shell and all, and feeding them back to the hens to supplement their feed.  I have done that and mixed them with a small amount of their grain but they will eat them plain.  Just don’t feed them raw or whole.  

This is also a time when a pig is a big help. :happy0203:

• Like 1

We are experimenting with something called deep watering the eggs. Use pickling lime and distilled water, plus fresh unwashed eggs. We have had them on the shelf for 2 months and they are fresh as new. 

• Like 3
37 minutes ago, franksgirl said:

We are experimenting with something called deep watering the eggs. Use pickling lime and distilled water, plus fresh unwashed eggs. We have had them on the shelf for 2 months and they are fresh as new. 

Is that like waterglassing eggs?  I have thought about it but haven't tried it yet.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, snapshotmiki said:

Is that like waterglassing eggs? 

Yes it is. Pickling lime, calcium hydroxide and water.  I’ve had eggs store up to a year with them but they have to be fresh, unwashed eggs.  Doesn’t work with commercial eggs as the coating left on the egg by the laying process has been removed and the lime permeates the egg instead of protecting it.  Unwashed fresh eggs can also be stored in baskets in a cool place just as they are for several weeks without spoiling. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Franksgirl, when you start crowing from too many eggs that is a lot of eggs. But that's a good thing. 

I have heard of water glassing eggs and watched how they did it on I think U-Tube. But I have never tried it. For one I have not found anywhere that sells fresh eggs straight from the farm. I will be taken grandson to store on his day off and will be checking the price of the eggs. I have heard they are going way up. So might go ahead and get another doz. and maybe some to freeze would be a good idea as well.

• Like 1

Thought I should mention that I thought you wrote "lawyers" not layers. Your post was a LOT funnier with that in mind. :24:

• Haha 2

I like this channel....I haven't tried this yet, but this is what they have to say about it:

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

It is working great! We are starting a second container. 

Edited by franksgirl
  • Like 3