MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Are these good prices for Auguson Farms items?

That is an amazing deal.  It usually runs closer to $60 and 204 servings works out to about 25 sticks or roughly 6.3lbs of butter which is around 2.50 LB shelf stable.   GIMME!  Even if only used in baking that is a very good shelf stable deal.  

Warning on the Morning Moo...I used it for years.  It tastes great, but does not always set up properly in puddings and such.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That is really a great price. Wish I had a Winco around here. I would be buying up some of that. Euphrasyne is right. The prices of that are usually double to triple that price. Though I would check the dates as they could be older dates and if so, you won't have the full 25-year life span on them. But I would still buy them. If kept in a cool dark place they can go beyond the years mark.

• Like 2

I don't know about the Country Fresh milk but the Morning Moos is pretty darn good for powdered milk. I also have the powdered butter but I plan to use it in making up some dry mixes. I'd like to make up some instant Stove Top stuffing cups to microwave. I've never been able to find those as a side dish. Like the little Mac N Cheese cups or Rice-A-Roni cups. I'm thinking (uh-oh) of using the box mix of Stove Top and adding the powdered butter and storing them away. When I want one, just add water and microwave. That may or may not be genius. And you may or may not have heard it here first. 

It would be just as easy to make up your own mix but I already have the Stove Top squirreled away. 

• Like 1

Thanks Euphrasyne! I copied that one down. I'll use that when I run out of the boxed stuff.

I emailed the Stove Top people years ago asking them about offering individual servings to microwave but surprise surprise, they never responded back. Probably thought I was a crack pot. 

I bought the little individual cardboard cups with lids a long time ago. Now I'd probably just mix it all in a big jar, shake it up and dole it out from there.

• Like 1

Or the little half cup or cup mason jars.   Like for doing fancy jam in.   Easy to store, microwave, and wash.   Sometimes I put pudding in them for DH's lunch.   They are also good for small things that need to be heated --like the meat for a soft taco lunch.   Make all the cold stuff on the flour tortilla, meat in the mason jar.  Heat meat and dump on wrap.  boom.  lunch.  

• Like 2

I also copied that one down. I have a few boxes of the stove top stuffing. Need to get stuff together and get it jarred up for longer term. Just can't get to anything right now. Going to try to get all the spices put away tomorrow. I have a lot of those. So, I need to go through them. I am sure some might be rather old by now.

I almost forgot. On the powdered milk you can add a little vanilla extract to it, and it makes it taste much better.

Jeepers you are right about the Morning Moo brand milk. That is the best.

Edited by Littlesister
Powdered milk
  • Like 1

You cannot beat the taste of Morning Moos for powdered, but it will not set up in pudding, custard, etc.   Even if you cook it with eggs or try to make flan.....it just won't.   Great for drinking; terrible for cooking.   That is why I quit buying it.  We stopped drinking so much and mostly I cook with milk these days.  

Budget 101 has a ton of DIY mixes.  I usually tweak them, but they are my go-to for the base of many modern mixes.  

Complete Mix Recipe Index (budget101.com)

• Thanks 2
On 6/6/2022 at 9:14 AM, Littlesister said:

That is really a great price. Wish I had a Winco around here. I would be buying up some of that. Euphrasyne is right. The prices of that are usually double to triple that price. Though I would check the dates as they could be older dates and if so, you won't have the full 25-year life span on them. But I would still buy them. If kept in a cool dark place they can go beyond the years mark.

I went back to the store yesterday and I did not see any of the butter! I must have circled that display at least 6 times and could not see any cans of it anywhere - I was kicking myself in the butt for not buying it when I was in the store previously!  I saw the employee that works in the bulk dept and asked her if, by some miracle, there was more in the back. I was expecting a "no" and was not disappoined. :blush: HOWEVER, she started examining the display too, and, lo and behold, there WERE a few cans buried that the bottom that other product had been moved on top of to keep the display looking neat and tidy. So................ she moved some stuff out of the way and got a can of it and put it in my cart for me!!!  :hapydancsmil:

(BTW - the Lot Date is May 2022 with a Best Buy date of May 2032:thumbs:

I also checked out the meat dept while I was there because I wanted to pick up some more chix split breasts (skin on, bone in). They did have some, but, they also had some boneless skinless chix breasts for 60c/lb CHEAPER, and since I was going to can it, I went with that option instead.  :shopping: 

I wound up spending more than I intended to in that trip, but overall, I think it was a wise decision.  :yum3:

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 4

Those are good dates. Glad you were able to get it.  

I have both the morning moo milk and the powdered milk. I am saving the powdered milk for baking and such and using the morning moo for drinking. My dates are still very good so not going to use any of them now. With hard times coming on even worse, all that long term food will come in handy. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Littlesister said:

Those are good dates. Glad you were able to get it.  

I have both the morning moo milk and the powdered milk. I am saving the powdered milk for baking and such and using the morning moo for drinking. My dates are still very good so not going to use any of them now. With hard times coming on even worse, all that long term food will come in handy. 

I mostly use cream. Have no need for milk since I don't drink it or have cereal to put it on. However, I have plent of "Gov't issued" dry milk packages. People who get the monthly food supplement boxes put the items they don't want in the laundry room. I have been stealthily collecting milk, beans, and spaghetti for the last year! :grinning-smiley-044:

euphrasyne, I have that one also.  Will need to buy another one soon as I am down to about half a jar now. Might be a good idea to go head and get it while I still can. Seems the way things are going that if you see something you use but don't think you need it yet, might be a good idea to grab it as soon as you do see it. Things are a bit easier here to find but still a lot of things are hard to find. 

• Like 1

We should get together and can or such at some point when we are both in good health Littlesister.   We have a lot of similar interests.  

Things are hit and miss for me to find.   I see things I am not currently looking for, but then a few months later are looking for.  It is hard to predict.    The biggest problem is that family changes what they want every few months.  Stock up on X?  Suddenly everyone is sick of X and wants Y.  Currently we are doing way more takeout/ delivery than usual because of my wrist etc.  I do not anticipate this lasting but it is where we are at in the moment.   I am using pintrest to find other uses for X to get it into the rotation.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, euphrasyne said:

I have Hoosier Hill heavy cream powder and I love it.   I add it where I need a bit of extra dairy fat in powder form.  

Amazon.com: Hoosier Hill Farm Heavy Cream Powder, 2lb (32oz), Gluten Free & Hormone Free : Grocery & Gourmet Food

Thank you for the comment and the link. I have been a bit shy of getting something like this. It is why I didn't get the butter powder when I first saw it in the store. :blush:

• Like 1

Euphrasyne, I would love to get together sometime and us doing some canning and such. It would be fun. Right now, I am still stuck here with construction and hoping and praying they will be done by end of this month. I have been on the owner every week lately. This job started in Jan. and by contract it was supposed to be done April 17th with one week added on just in case something went wrong such as bad weather or something. Now here it is almost halfway through June. I'll message you my phone number. Would love to hear from you. Maybe we could learn stuff from each other.

• Like 2
On 6/9/2022 at 6:59 PM, Midnightmom said:

I also checked out the meat dept while I was there because I wanted to pick up some more chix split breasts (skin on, bone in). They did have some, but, they also had some boneless skinless chix breasts for 60c/lb CHEAPER, and since I was going to can it, I went with that option instead.  :shopping: 

Those boneless, skinless chix breasts I bought were quite "unusual." They took off the leg quarters, the wings, and the skin. The ribs and backbone were also gone, but the two sides of the breast were still connected where the breastbone would be - except there wasn't one! It was very easy to cut up and can. :canning:

I used 2 packages and got 8 pints of chix, and I still have two more packages in the fridge. Will get to them later today. 

957971084_uglychix6-2022.thumb.jpg.016078bc2d99ace39b87bf51b3aabc1f.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I was shopping in Winco at the beginning of the month (Sept 9th) and guess what I found?

YEP! Another can of Auguson Farms Butter Powder! And it was still the same price as before so naturally I grabbed another one!

(oops. :blush: This was $4 more than the last purchase)

305567275_5566272880096928_7888048671339021993_n.thumb.jpg.8f86b136c8854b5671b105f108cf48fe.jpg

Over the past year I have also been squirreling away other products that I use that are usually much more expensive.

Swerve has been on "sale" off and on over the last year. I have garnered a stash of each type/variety - granular, brown, and confectioner's. The normal price is closer to $7 or $8/ bag depending on which store-chain you are shopping in.

Manager's Special - Jan 2022 (I think I also got some of the Bragg's vinegar)
swerve.thumb.jpg.48f12b46c1978e92feae73fbc06817f1.jpg 

Manager's special - Sept 2022
swerve2.thumb.jpg.aa6ab789a656803b88f9c7eda120b2d4.jpg

This is also usually very expensive. Found this at Grocery Outlet - Nov 2021

allulose.thumb.jpg.4ee6c770e9578b11a705555a09caac03.jpg

Almond Flour June 2019

walmart.thumb.jpg.6fd6d6b9f7a4ddc77e556d925696d27a.jpg   

SF Choc Chips, Grocery Outlet $1.99/bag - Dec 2020

936786690_hersheys.thumb.jpg.1cd413aac46dc4954daa8661498783bb.jpg

Got tons of butter when it was on sale back in March 2022

butter.thumb.jpg.3e05e02c691f9585f984c4282b91939b.jpg

Can't possibly make ketchup for less than this! May 2021 

heinz.thumb.jpg.099f9a7fd84b4749c58bc774e6e52be6.jpg

And, my most recent bonanza.

Jelly Belly's were on CLEARANCE at Walmart for $1.99/bag! (Sept 2022)

This price is from the website - I was curious about the normal price. They don't usually carry this size bag in the store and the small one they do carry is right around $5 bag so is it any wonder that  I snatched up all 19 bags!!!

364216603_JellyBelly.JPG.843ee154bd70025e859cc5f4e5f74577.JPG     IMG_20220920_203628341.thumb.jpg.893f1bba21bfaa31fe78fb768f44502d.jpg     

305567275_5566272880096928_7888048671339021993_n.jpg

Edited by Midnightmom