MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What would you really do? - Body cleansing products

I'm sure y'all have noticed that from time to time I compose posts that stem from a burden that's on my heart.

Today is no different.

For the past week or 2, as I've been reading the forum, I'm always asking the Lord, "what should I say?" or more important, "what would You like me to say?".

We have all spent varying degrees of time, from weeks, years and decades, prepping. We are an usual sort and have been often viewed by others as an anomaly, and at times, an example of what others DON'T want to become. As this world falls apart faster than any of us could have imagined, there's a certain gratitude for all we've amassed and learned over those years.

Our homes are packed to the gills and we continue to gather all that we can, while we can. For me, however, there's something in my heart that is sounding a faint warning that time and finances are running out. I don't think I can quite explain what I'm feeling, but I sense a warning, a caution. Perhaps it's a shift from relying on "Plan A", which would be purchasing all that I can, while I can, to learning to rely on a "Plan B", which is either doing without, or somehow making it myself. As I've said before, grocery stores (or any commercial establishment for that matter) are not your friend. 

MrsSurvival is not just about purchasing a bunch of things to make it through rough times. It is all, and is equally important, a venue with which to learn how to become independent so that you can thrive in the days ahead.

So, over the weeks ahead I will present topics that we can talk about in the hopes that collectively, we will have suggestions and/or ideas that we may have never thought about before in the hopes that it just might help in the days ahead.

With that said, and in regard to body cleaning products (soaps, shampoos, etc), how have YOU prepped in that area? Have you spent the time and money putting away a stash that should take you XX amount of time into the future?

I'd like to hear what y'all have done and what you plan to do...and a little later, I'll share what my game plan is. I can almost guarantee it will be different than most.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I love this woman:

She used to work in Williamsburg for the tourist education.   She has a book on amazon:

The American Duchess Guide to 18th Century Beauty: 40 Projects for Period-Accurate Hairstyles, Makeup and Accessories: Stowell, Lauren, Cox, Abby: 9781624147869: Books: Amazon.com

I've done pomade for a few months a long time ago when I had long hair.  I still have and use a horn comb.   

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2

This is very timely, I happened across some 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner bars today at a very reduced price so I bought 6 to put away. I do also have enough soap and shampoo for about a year not including the bars I got today.

Once all that is gone and there is no way to replace it, I have a very healthy Soapwort patch growing away in my guerilla garden which will then be used.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I Love the idea of soapwort.  I haven’t thought of it in a long time but I also have a very nice patch of it growing.  Thanks for the reminder. 

With my chemical sensitivity I have to be very careful of what I use. I have enough products stored for more than a year but I also have knowledge.  I can make soap from many different ingredients and fats.  I not only have lye stored but also know how to produce it from wood ashes and to make old fashioned lye soap with it.  I make my own lotions and creams and have access to the ingredient and plants I might need. I could also make/use a dry shampoo if needed. 

On an expanded note I have several gallons of safe laundry soap and several bags of soap nuts which wok best with a small amount of detergent or soap.  They will work alone but can extend the soap multi fold.  I can also use plain lye soap for most cleaning tasks as well.  

• Like 4

If I recall rightly  you boil some in a kettle of water, then use the water to wash whatever you need cleaned in it.  I prefer the name "Boincing Bet" as its origin is so cute....named after the irish washerwomen who used it a scrubbing away on their washboards...bouncing up and down and up and down....

then rinse in clear water and hang on the bushes to dry.

that reminds me I need a washboard.  If I don't need it to wash I can play it in a band.  I learned years ago to use that and the washboard base in a jug band.  LOL.  

But unless I could find a patch of soapwort I'd just have to make my own soap, and soft soap for launder.  Vinegar water as a hair rinse after to get out the residue.

Edited by kappydell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That’s how I use the roots but the leaves and flowers I just simmer fifteen or so minutes.  You can also steep it like tea.  

I use herbs steeped in vinegar as a  hair rinse.  It can be diluted with water and still be useful to restore the natural pH balance which soap changes.  

• Like 2

Soapwort reminds of the of the books in The Clan of the Cave Bear series. At 'certain' times the lead character (Ayla?) would go down to the river and purify herself with soapwort. I need to look up soapwort.

Something like that would be very useful because with just about anything home made, you will still need to buy ingredients for. Leaching lye from ashes (oak?) would be very helpful! Good skill Mother. Having said that, I do have pounds and pounds of the home made powdered laundry soap made up and more of the ingredients stored away to make more. After I made a ton of it I heard it wasn't great for your washing machine.  :shrug:

I probably have enough shampoo and conditioner and body bar soap stashed away for 5 years IF used sparingly. And remember, I live alone. The issue with it is would it degrade over time. And in what way. Right now I usually use a body wash that doubles as a shampoo. It works well for me when I have short hair. My longer hair requires more attention and more products. My DIL keeps me supplied with huge bottles of the Philosophy brand body wash every Christmas. :wub:  But I need to do a better job at keeping my hair manicured lately. Not for looks but for product rationing. Lockdowns should have taught me that. 

I'm a low maintenance kinda girl. While lotions and potions are nice, I don't need them. I guess I have normal/average skin type. I have 10 bottles of name brand lotion I bought when K-Mart was going out of business. Never used any of them. They could probably use a good shaking by now.  :sEm_blush: 

But that soapwort really has me thinking. 

• Like 4

Jean M. Auel rocks!   I've read Clan of the Cave Bear series over and over and over.  The Valley of Horses was one of my favorites.

I have psoriasis, so in Erma Bombeck's words 'If someone ever wants to stuff a mattress with trail mix to make it more firm, they need look no farther than my pantry" --only with lotions.  

• Like 2

@Jeepers I'm not one for lotions either. If I find my skin getting a bit dry then I use Olive Oil, it's good for hair too. I have a friend I've known for many years and she hasn't washed her hair in over 40 years, she does use a few drops of Olive Oil now and again. I tried under her tutelage but after 3 weeks I was going nuts itching and scratching and I caved and washed my hair again. I always regret not having the fortitude to see it through.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Soapwort reminds of the of the books in The Clan of the Cave Bear series. At 'certain' times the lead character (Ayla?) would go down to the river and purify herself with soapwort. I need to look up soapwort.

Something like that would be very useful because with just about anything home made, you will still need to buy ingredients for. Leaching lye from ashes (oak?) would be very helpful! Good skill Mother. Having said that, I do have pounds and pounds of the home made powdered laundry soap made up and more of the ingredients stored away to make more. After I made a ton of it I heard it wasn't great for your washing machine.  :shrug:

Jeepers I have used homemade laundry soap in my front loader for years. In fact the one time we had to have something fixed on it I think it was because I had gone back to store bought soap. 

Wychwood, I go for months without shampooing my hair and only occasionally wash it with a gentle soap like Dr. Bonners or a home made one. I follow that with an herbal rinse with a small amount of vinegar to restore the pH balance.  I do rinse my hair with hot water and an herbal tea two or three times a week and use a few drops of olive or coconut oil on it occasionally.  My hair is, however, very dry and very fine and it curls easily.  I have more trouble with it wisping around my face.   I still get compliments on the shininess of my hair and people are amazed when I tell them I rarely shampoo it.  

• Like 1

I used to make my own shampoo/conditioner. It had coconut milk in it, and worked well. But then I started traveling with my hubby for his work, and stopped using it. I haven't gotten back into it. I do have shampoo (that is not great for the body), etc, but am thankful that know of simpler ways to clean my hair. I'm not opposed to just not doing anything, too, to be honest. I'm not convinced that using soap to remove the natural oils is a good thing. I just don't know if I can handle the grease. I've heard that if you let it go long enough, it balances out. I know of someone that all she does is shower, no soap, no shampoo, no deodorant. I do believe that she uses lemon juice as "deodorant", but I could be wrong. She has long beautiful hair!

It's great food for thought! Ideally, I would want to make sure that whatever I do is sustainable. Not sure I can do that at this point....:sigh:

• Like 1

Wychwood, I loved Clan of the Cave Bear series. But they were so long. I decided to get the tapes (before CD days) from the library and listen to them at night in bed. I should do that again. Except on the computer where there won't be all of the tape glitches. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Wychwood, I loved Clan of the Cave Bear series. But they were so long. I decided to get the tapes (before CD days) from the library and listen to them at night in bed. I should do that again. Except on the computer where there won't be all of the tape glitches. 

I don't think I'd have the patience to read them now Jeepers, I struggled the first time around all those years ago. I've never got into audio books Maybe I should try.

• Like 1

I have some shampoo ginger, but while I have used the cone squeezings to wash my underwear, I don't like using the goop to wash my hair.  I've planted other plants to use for cleaning, but it came down to the same thing--I don't want to use it, and I don't.  This doesn't count various teas or lemon-water to do a final rinse on the hair or skin, or to wash my hands, as that's fine--but it's also not soap.  Soap to me has to have a fat content.  I have used just oil or oil and salt/soda to clean really filthy hands and then rinsed them with a strong tea, but in a famine situation most oil I could grow that would be clean enough to wash with would be premium food material.

Wet salt finds every little tiny break in the skin.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Ambergris said:

I would have to just cut my hair really, really short.

Or grow it really really long, lol. for 20 yrs my only haircutting expense was granny hairpins.  That would not help with shampoo issues though.  

I have a hair clippers, gotta order some hand powered ones - I think the Amish still carry them.  

Truth be told…

I can not stand my hair or body to be unwashed.  Shower daily, sometimes I don’t wash my hair one day.  That’s it!  Perspiration, sweat buildup, along with oils.  Nope, it isn’t going to happen.  DH showers 2 times a day including shampooing.   If’n I can smell the funk, I know others around me can too.   

We have a 4 year stock of products for cleansing…. Use one, replace with 2… No way am I going to stink with BO!

Plus, I'm extremely allergic to scents… it has to be unscented, laundry, dish, body, & shampoo.  I can instantly tell who uses, the popular brands of “scents” that cover the grime, but don’t clean clothes…. :yuk:

• Like 1

I can't stand to be dirty either. And even more so for greasy hair. I always feel so good after a bath/shower. 

I'm not allergic to any scents and I do love to smell good from body washes or shampoo. I feel all girly  Perfumes can be another story though. I've walked past women and I swear I can taste their perfume. Worse yet, for me, is to get in line behind someone who just put out a cigarette. Loud perfume, cigarette and BO and I have to move along. 

I'm with Ambergris, I'll cut my hair short. I have always had between shoulder and waist length hair. But every time I get it cut I just love the way it feels. So nice and light and airy on my neck. A little dab of shampoo is all it takes. Most of the time I just let it air dry. Why I don't get it cut more often is a mystery to me. Old habits? And money I suppose. 

• Like 1