MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wanting to begin canning soon....

....have you started? What have you canned? Or do you have plans? Trying to get my groove going! How do you get motivated?

Here is what I'm hoping to can this year:

Pinto beans

Black beans

Kidney beans

Spaghetti Sauce

Diced tomatoes

Tomato soup

Tomato sauce

Salsa

Jalapeno jelly

Pickled jalapenos

Banana Peppers

Chicken stock

Dill pickles

Dill relish

Apple sauce (if we have access to apples)

Peaches

Chili

Ground beef

Sloppy Joe Mix

Chicken noodle soup (without the noodles, of course)

Cranberry juice

Pineapple chunks

There are more things, but seeing this  much in black and white gives me an idea of what kind of work I have ahead of me. We don't eat green beans, and I'm not sure I should can potatoes. Is it a good idea?

• Like 1

I'm not canning much this year. When I'm in Indy I spend most of my time at sons house or else I'm working on the house or yard. Or there are workers in there. I can't seem to devote a big block of attention to canning over there. And I've pretty much learned my lesson about doing food preps in Ohio and then schlepping it over to Indy. The dry stuff was sooo heavy. I can only imagine how heavy the canned food would be. And delicate. 

But I will probably do some canning this winter when it's cooler and the yard work gets some control about it.

Here is what I want to do off the top of my head:

Asparagus

Beans. Black, White, Kidney. Chili beans

Bean Soup

Beef

Beets. Plain and pickled

Bruschetta

Chicken

Chicken Soup

Chicken Veggie Soup

Green Beans

Ham and Beans

Ham and Potato Soup

Ham Veggie Soup

Hamburger

Potatoes

Sausage, Gr. Beans, Potatoes

Sloppy Joes

Spaghetti Sauce

Stew Meat

Taco Meat

Tomatoes

Veggie Soup

Apple sauce/butter would be nice.

I don't think I'll do any more pickles until I can grow my own. The last time I did them I bought them and they didn't turn out very well. They were bitter and sort of sort. I did use Pickle Crisp though.  Some one here (Ambergris?) said they were probably old. And that's probably right. 

• Like 2

Potatoes change consistency a lot. They are sort of rubbery or at least more firm. I've canned chunks before and they do make good fried potatoes especially if fried in bacon grease. But the texture will be different from fresh potatoes. Best thing to do is buy a small can of potatoes at the store and try them to get an idea. I would blanch them or soak them in cold water over night to remove some of the starch. It won't hurt anything but it looks unappealing in the jar. Easy to rinse off when you open the can though.

I saw a video of a woman who sliced her raw potatoes like small French fries and canned them using Pickle Crisp. She said they came out great. She used her air frier on them and said her family loved them enough that she planted a lot of potatoes this year and plans to can more of them that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Jeepers, I've been wondering. We eat a fair amount of chorizo in our home (it's a Mexican sausage). Can I can that on its own? I'm guessing the consistency would change, unless I cooked it before? Or raw pack it? I'd love to store this staple of our home, outside of the freezer!!

Would love your bean soup recipe if you would be so kind!! 😊

9 hours ago, Joyfilled said:

@Jeepers, I've been wondering. We eat a fair amount of chorizo in our home (it's a Mexican sausage). Can I can that on its own? I'm guessing the consistency would change, unless I cooked it before? Or raw pack it? I'd love to store this staple of our home, outside of the freezer!!

You wouldn't be able to safely can it in the jacket. You would have to open up the casings and par fry the meat so that it wouldn't become a solid mass in the center of the jar. Or, you can skip the opening the casings part by buying it in bulk - like ground beef - and processing it the same way. This would be considered "hot packing" so use that process and follow the time and pressure indicated for your elevation and your jar sizes. You may also want to do a test run on a jar or two the next time you process another meat to see if you like the consistancy, and to make sure that the spices haven't become overbearing.  :cook: :canning: :feedme:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Midnightmom said:

You wouldn't be able to safely can it in the jacket. You would have to open up the casings and par fry the meat so that it wouldn't become a solid mass in the center of the jar. Or, you can skip the opening the casings part by buying it in bulk - like ground beef - and processing it the same way. This would be considered "hot packing" so use that process and follow the time and pressure indicated for your elevation and your jar sizes. You may also want to do a test run on a jar or two the next time you process another meat to see if you like the consistancy, and to make sure that the spices haven't become overbearing.  :cook: :canning: :feedme:

Ohhhhh....this is good news!! This is doable. I will give it a try at some point. So treat it like say, ground beef? Cook it, then can it according to my area? It would be great to have some available, even if the power is out! I'll follow your suggestion, and do a test run. Here's hoping!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Joyfilled said:

Ohhhhh....this is good news!! This is doable. I will give it a try at some point. So treat it like say, ground beef? Cook it, then can it according to my area? It would be great to have some available, even if the power is out! I'll follow your suggestion, and do a test run. Here's hoping!!

National Center for Food Preservation Website

Selecting, Preparing and Canning Meat

Ground or Chopped Meat

Procedure: Choose fresh, chilled meat. With venison, add one part high-quality pork fat to three or four parts venison before grinding. Use freshly made sausage, seasoned with salt and cayenne pepper (sage may cause a bitter off-flavor). Shape chopped meat into patties or balls or cut cased sausage into 3- to 4-inch links. Cook until lightly browned. Ground meat may be sauteed without shaping. Remove excess fat. Fill jars with pieces. Add boiling meat broth, tomato juice, or water, leaving 1-inch headspace. Add 2 teaspoons of salt per quart to the jars, if desired.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, can it just like you would loose sausage or hamburger. Bown it just a little first. I do remove some of the fat and water first before canning it though. 

I even rinse my hamburger before I put it in the jar. Then I cover it with beef broth, de-bubble, wipe the rim very well with vinegar, cap and process.

75 min. for pints. 

90 min. for quarts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Jeepers said:

Yes, can it just like you would loose sausage or hamburger. Bown it just a little first. I do remove some of the fat and water first before canning it though. 

I even rinse my hamburger before I put it in the jar. Then I cover it with beef broth, de-bubble, wipe the rim very well with vinegar, cap and process.

75 min. for pints. 

90 min. for quarts.

Wanna come help me? 😁

What broth do you suggest for chorizo? 

2 hours ago, Midnightmom said:

National Center for Food Preservation Website

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/ground_chopped.html

So I can use water instead of broth. 

The chorizo I use comes in long (8" or so) plastic casings. I'd obviously remove the plastic, but then should I cook it into ground beef like pieces or just brown the outside of it and leave it in one piece (cut to size)?

I think it would be a LOT of fun canning with another lady! Warning: I sing while I work. Loudly and very badly. Have been known to dance around the kitchen and take a little nap on the cool kitchen floor. But other than that...:24: 

For sausages you can use plain water.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd remove the casing, put it in a skillet, chop it up like you are frying hamburger and brown it. You don't need to cook it all the way through. Just enough to brown. Drain some of the fat off IF you want to. Loosely pack your jar, cover with water, de-bubble, wipe your rims well, cap and process.  

• Like 1