MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing Zucchini, Pumpkin and other Breads

I've made pumpkin (pie pumpkins) and zucchini bread for years.  I would freeze the loaves and cut off slices as I wanted them.   Obviously, I'm a slow learner because just last year I figured out to slice the bread before freezing.  I cut whatever size slice I want and wrap each slice individually in plastic wrap.  I usually stack 2 or 3 wrapped slices on cookie sheet and freeze.  Once frozen I put them in a large plastic bag and take slices out as I need them.  

Wrapping them individually will keep them from drying out and you can take out as many slices as you want for your meal.  Take them out an hour or so before your meal is ready, and they'll be ready for you to butter and enjoy.  If you don't think of it early enough put the slices in the microwave to thaw.  I don't know if I haven't learned the knack or what but when I thaw in the microwave they seem to have to be eaten with a fork as they don't pick up nicely BUT they are still good!

I'm so looking forward to the zucchini and pumpkins being ready this year.  I'm really going to make a lot more than normal since I found this simple way of preserving and eating the bread.  Cutting frozen slices off the frozen loaves made me think twice before serving it.  NOW, it's simple.

I have wrapped each piece in one piece of plastic wrap, but I've also torn off a long strip of plastic wrap and wrapped one, added another and wrapped, and so on.  Either way works well but the long piece works faster as you don't have to rip and tear and rip and tear.

• Like 3

Good idea Miki and I use my minis too, but I only have 2 of them and 8 loaf pans.

I do like the mini pans though because I can cut the long way and have a big slice for each of us.  I may just have to buy more pans. :) 

• Like 2

With all these ideas, I think I need another freezer for sure. I canned some meat from the big freezer and got a little room and GS took that over with foods he likes to eat. So now it is full again. Going to have to look into getting another smaller freezer or a stand up one instead of a chest type like I have now. GS could keep his stuff in the standup freezer, and I can have room to freeze breads. That would work for both of us. Though I still have to get the big chest freezer emptied as soon as I can get past the construction. I have meat in there now for making my vegetable beef and chicken soups to can. Hoping to have those done before cold weather this fall. I have a long list of things I want to get canned and right now I am going to be heading to market to buy a bushel of peaches to can. Might get a couple of bushels but not sure yet. Need to reinventory my jars. 

• Like 1

I bought another freezer just a month or so ago Littlesister.  It's, I think, 20 cu. feet.  Part of the reason I wanted another is I can't pressure can any longer.  We moved a few years ago and my stove top is the flat glass top thing.  I tried to get it switched to gas but because of the size pipe they used coming into the house, 1/2" instead of 1", it's way more work and expense than I'm willing to spend.  I can go to the library and use their kitchen, but I haven't done it yet because it seems like way more work than I want to do to haul it all back and forth. Hence, the new freezer. :) 

Your canned vegetable beef and chicken soups bring back memories though....good ones!

• Like 2

Dee, that is bad that you can't pressure can any longer because of the stove issue. I am thinking maybe a propane cooker for outside. Like the turkey cookers or something. That would be better than nothing and you wouldn't need to drag anything to library and back. You would need to check the BTUs on them, but it would work. Just something to think about. Will be canning tomato soup as well. 

• Like 1

Dee, you have a new garage, why not look into having a canning stove out there using a 20# or even 100# propane tank? 

• Like 3