MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Questions on cooking a roast

Years ago, I cooked a roast in the oven.  You know, the whole works with browning the roast, adding potatoes and carrots during the last hour, etc.  Oh, so good.  Then I began cooking it in an electric skillet.  It was even better because if you let the broth cook down enough the potatoes and carrots, as well as the roast, were browned and wonderful.

Now, I do it in the crockpot.  It's good but, nothing like the electric skillet or oven.  DH likes it because, with his dentures, the meat just falls apart and he doesn't have to chew it much.

So, my questions are.  1:  How do you cook your roasts?

2.  What seasonings do you use?

3.  Do you cook it in water, soup, or what?

4.  What suggestions do you have on using leftovers?

Thanks ladies!:grouphug:

Only in a crock pot for me.  I make dry Ranch and French onion mixes, so add one of them and cream of something soup.

Or if it will be for Mexican--add chili powder, cumin, garlic and a little orange juice.

Or for BBQ-- Just add BBQ sauce.

• Like 1

Roasts:

Whole roasts can go in the crockpot, turkey roaster, or oven.   Sometimes DH smokes a pork roast on the grill.  

Sometimes I cut the roasts up into stew meat, steaks, stirfry or fajita strips, or grind it up for hamburger or ground pork.  

I have more seasonings for them than I can list.  It varies with the season, energy level, temperature, occasion, and what everyone 'feels like'.

Leftover roast is served as meat slices, shredded for tacos or sandwiches, or diced into casserole filler.    I often try to cut the roast to a size I think will do well with the amount of leftovers desired before I cook it and use the rest as ground/ stirfry/ steaks.  

Some of my more common ones:  *also if i have mushrooms, I usually add mushrooms to any of them.   

Mississippi Roast

Roast

stick of butter

ranch seasoning

brown gravy  or italian dressing packet depending on mood.  

banana peppers

Balsamic Roast

Roast

honey

balsamic vinegar

soy sauce

garlic

salt

beef broth

Mexican Roast

Roast

garlic

chipotles in adobo sauce

green chilis

onion

lime juice

apple cider vinegar

bay leaves

Sazon

cloves

beef broth

Roast for French Dip sandwiches

Roast

Onion Soup mix

broth

Worcestershire sauce

chopped onions

Old Fashioned Pot roast

Roast

onion

bell pepper

celery

carrots

potatoes

garlic

beef broth

seasonings to taste (usually italian or sazon)

Smoked Pork

Pork Roast

dry rub

honey

BBQ Pork 

roast

BBQ sauce

Jelly any flavor.  orange or raspberry are favorites.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1