MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Protein Drink Recall *IMPORTANT UPDATE BELOW*

The Premier Protein brand is very popular around here. I have bought it a few times but couldn't drink it because it was too gritty for me. I know a lot of people drink it who have medical issues, especially after weight loss surgery. Some people have protein drinks stored away to help off set the price of meat. I'll admit I have one of those big jars of protein powder mix I bought from Wal-Mart to supplement g-son if meat becomes scarce or too expensive. It isn't one of the liquid brands below but dang.  :sigh:

BTW I also bought a couple of cases of Ensure from Sam's Club for a nutrition boost if needed. Hope it isn't next. Or if it is, will I catch the recall? 

It says 53 are being recalled but I don't count that many being listed. Also Premier Protein comes in strawberry and I don't see it listed either.

Glucerna, Oatly drinks among 53 beverages recalled for potential microbial contamination

August 2, 2022, 4:45 AM

Lyons Magnus, which produces nutritional and coffee beverages under its own name as well as Oatly, Glucerna and Premier Protein, is recalling 53 products due to potential microbial contamination, the Food and Drug Administration announced over the weekend.

"Preliminary root cause analysis shows that the products did not meet commercial sterility specifications," the FDA said in its recall notice, which added no illnesses had been reported as of Friday.

Among the FDA's concerns: Cronobacter sakazakii contamination. The agency cited fever, vomiting and urinary tract infections as common symptoms.

However, in more serious cases, Cronobacter sakazakii can cause bloodstream infections and meningitis. Infants, seniors over the age of 65 and people with weakened immune systems are the most susceptible to serious illness, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Customers with questions about the recall are instructed to call Lyons' 24-hour Recall Support Center line at 1-800-627-0557. Products can be returned to the place or purchase for a refund.

Which products are being recalled?

The following brands, flavors and sizes were covered in the recall notice.

If you think you may have an affected product, you can match them up with lot numbers and sell-by dates here. The products may be sold in single cartons or by the case.

Lyons Ready Care

Lyons ready Care 2.0 High Calorie High Protein Nutritional Drink: Butter Pecan, Chocolate, Vanilla

Lyons Barista Style: Almond, Coconut, Oat non-dairy beverages

Pirq Plant Protein: Decadent Chocolate, Caramel Coffee, Golden Vanilla, Very Strawberry

Glucerna Original (sold only at Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club): Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla

Aloha Plant-Based Protein: Chocolate Sea Salt, Coconut, Vanilla, Iced Coffee

Intelligensia: Cold Coffee, Oat Latte

Kate Farms Pediatric Standard: Vanilla

Oatly: Oat Milk Barista Edition

Premier Protein: Chocolate, Vanilla, Cafe Latte

MRE protein shakes: Cookies & Cream, Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Vanilla

Stumptown Cold Brew Coffee With Oat Milk: Original, Horchata, Chocolate, Cream & Sugar Original

Imperial: Med Plus 2.0: Vanilla, Butter Pecan

Glucerna, Oatly drinks among 53 beverages recalled for potential microbial contamination (aol.com)

Edited by Jeepers
Edited Title
  • Thanks 2

I love the premier protein drinks.  We like the coffee, caramel, banana, and chocolate flavors.   Make sure to serve them very cold  and shake well.    The only way i can eat 'ice cream' is to blend the coffee shake with ice until it gets soft serve/ milkshake texture.  It is really good that way.    Also, the coffee one + vodka = white russian.    None of the other brands have a taste I can stomach and the powder you mix is just nasty on every brand that I have tried.  I had GI surgery in 2016 and am somewhat limited on what I can eat.  I cook a lot for the family, but I cannot eat everything I cook.  

Between the family and I we drink about 8 a week or so.  

Edited by euphrasyne
  • Like 1

Dang Euphrasyne. Just be sure to check your dates. I forgot about the banana flavored ones but I have seen them too. I even tried putting them in the freezer for an hour or two. They ended up being too thick. I guess it's just a texture problem for me. I do like the taste though. I've never tried the powdered one but figured I could sneak some into some milk for g-son and call it chocolate milk. 

I have a family member who had the weight loss surgery and she really needs the protein shakes. 

I tried the Slim Fast shakes many years ago for no other reason than I really liked them. I don't know if they are considered a protein supplement or not though. :shrug:

I bought some Ensure for an emergency. I know you can live on that stuff alone if you had to. I'm thinking being snowed in or 'I've fallen and can't get up' scenario. My FIL had a gastric feeding tube in his stomach for a number of years and that was all he could use. He had facial surgery from non-Hodgkins lymphoma.  

As a heads up for folks, his doctor gave him a prescription for Ensure so Medicare insurance would help pay for it. So if you really need something like that be sure to ask your doctor for help. 

• Like 2

It always  amazes me  how many different  brands  of the  same  type  products  are made at one facility. 

I do use chocolate  whey protein powder  in my smoothies. It helps. Otherwise, they are just lettuce/  water/ blueberries  and stevia  plus ice. 

• Like 2

Same here Miki. Decades ago my MIL worked at a local canning factory in a tiny town. She said after the cans were filled and processed they would stick labels on the cans from all different companies. Same product just different label. 

• Like 1
On 8/4/2022 at 9:54 PM, Jeepers said:

Same here Miki. Decades ago my MIL worked at a local canning factory in a tiny town. She said after the cans were filled and processed they would stick labels on the cans from all different companies. Same product just different label. 

Back when I started working full-time (dinosaur timetable), my boss's wife worked for Continental. It sold food labels to manufacturers. Heinz catsup could also be a generic catsup brand. I was shocked to hear that. I was also very naive back then.  :24:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

Lyons Magnus adds 30+ nutrition drinks to recall over botulism threat, including Ensure, Pediasure

Updated Aug. 11, 2022

Lyons Magnus, which recalled 53 beverages including Oatly, Glucerna and Premier Protein drinks last month, has added more than 30 more drinks to the call back due to potential for botulism contamination as well as the previously mentioned Cronobacter sakazakii threat.

"This recall is being conducted due to the potential for microbial contamination, including from the organisms Cronobacter sakazakii and Clostridium botulinum," the Food and Drug Administration said in a release Wednesday. "Although Clostridium botulinum has not been found in products, consumers are warned not to consume any of the recalled products even if they do not look or smell spoiled."

Nor, it said, should consumers drink any products past their sell-by date.

Clostridium botulinum, the FDA warned, can bring on a severe form of food poisoning anywhere between six hours and two weeks after consuming a contaminated product. Symptoms may include:

Double or blurred vision

Drooping eyelids

Slurred speech

Difficulty swallowing

Muscle weakness

Botulism poisoning can result in death from respiratory paralysis.

The FDA had previously warned that Cronobacter sakazakii can cause bloodstream infections and meningitis. Infants, seniors over the age of 65, and people with weakened immune systems are the most susceptible to serious illness, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 

Customers with questions about the recall are instructed to call Lyons' 24-hour Recall Support Center line at 1-800-627-0557. Products can be returned to the place of purchase for a refund. 

Which products have been added to the recall?

The latest recall bulletin adds more than 30 new beverages as well as additional lot numbers of products announced in the July recall.

If you think you may have an affected product, you can match them up with lot numbers and sell-by dates here. The products may be sold in single cartons or by the case.

New additions as of Aug. 10:

Cafe Grumpy Ready to Drink Cold Brew Coffee

Ensure Harvest 1.2 Cal For Tube Feeding

Kate Farms Pediatric Peptide 1.0 Vanilla

Kate Farms Standard 1.0 Vanilla

Kate Farms Nutrition Shake Coffee

Kate Farms Nutrition Shake Coffee Chocolate

Kate Farms Nutrition Shake Vanilla

Kate Farms Standard 1.4 Plain

Kate Farms Peptide 1.5 Plain

Kate Farms Pediatric Peptide 1.5 Vanilla

Lyons Barista Style Sweet Cream Frappé Base

Oatly Oat-Milk Barista Edition 

Oatly Oat-Milk Chocolate

Oatly Oat-Milk

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Vanilla

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Chocolate

Organic Valley Organic 1% Milkfat Lowfat Chocolate Milk

Organic Valley Organic 1% Milkfat Lowfat Milk

PediaSure Harvest 1.0 Cal For Tube Feeding 

Premier Protein Café Latte

Sweetie Pie Organics Organic Lactation Smoothie Mango Banana

Sweetie Pie Organics Organic Lactation Smoothie Apple Pear

Sweetie Pie Organics Mango Banana Smoothie

Sweetie Pie Organics Apple Pear Smoothie

Rejuvenate Muscle Health+ Vanilla

Rejuvenate Muscle Health+ Chocolate

Sated Complete Keto Meal Shake Chocolate Flavor

Tone It Up Plant-Based Protein Shake Chocolate

Tone It Up Plant-Based Protein Shake Vanilla

Uproot Oatmilk Organic Oats

Uproot Peamilk Chocolate

Previously announced:

Lyons Ready Care 

Lyons ready Care 2.0 High Calorie High Protein Nutritional Drink: Butter Pecan, Chocolate, Vanilla

Lyons Barista Style: Almond, Coconut, Oat non-dairy beverages

Pirq Plant Protein: Decadent Chocolate, Caramel Coffee, Golden Vanilla, Very Strawberry

Glucerna Original (sold only at Costco, BJ's and Sam's Club): Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla

Aloha Plant-Based Protein: Chocolate Sea Salt, Coconut, Vanilla, Iced Coffee

Intelligensia: Cold Coffee, Oat Latte

Kate Farms Pediatric Standard: Vanilla

Oatly: Oat Milk Barista Edition

Premier Protein: Chocolate, Vanilla, Cafe Latte

MRE protein shakes: Cookies & Cream, Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Vanilla

Stumptown Cold Brew Coffee With Oat Milk: Original, Horchata, Chocolate, Cream & Sugar Original

Imperial: Med Plus 2.0: Vanilla, Butter Pecan

Beverage recall: Ensure, Pediasure among 30+ new drinks added to list (usatoday.com)

• Thanks 2
  • Jeepers changed the title to Protein Drink Recall *IMPORTANT UPDATE BELOW*