MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Journal

Hello again! :hi:

Any of you fine ladies (or gents!) use a canning journal? If so, what can you tell me about it? Is it self made? Bought (bonus points for links!)? It's occurring to me that it would be nice to know when I canned something (other than just writing it on the jar), and how many....mainly to see how much lasts for how long for our family. I've seen some journals on Amazon, but they seem to focus on what's in each recipe and how it was canned. Still valuable if I don't have access to internet, but not quite what I'm looking for.

Thanks! :)

I keep all types of journals.   Most of mine are DIY.   I'm currently using a disc bound base (Happy Planner).   I use an half size weekly planner to breakdown what I cook and eat all week.  My preserving and shopping are mixed in with that.  If you are less of the DIY type and just want canning, I think something like the etsy download below is what you are looking for.  It would also be fairly simple to just sketch out the columns on a notebook if you wanted to personalize it.   I could probably mock something similar up if you tell me what exactly you want to track.  

Mother's Day Giftcanning and Preserving Journal for - Etsy

Planners are my second biggest hobby after antique cookbooks.  

I don't but I wish I had started one. I like to measure everything so it will always turn out the same. But sometimes I forget when I don't follow the recipe exactly. I have a canning recipe book that I started with all of my recipes in it but sometimes I forget to update it when I amend the recipe. I guess I sort of do have a canning journal now that I think about it. I'm just not very good at it. Its so easy to think you will remember. But you won't. I struggled with  my vanilla sugar recipe. It's sugar and vanilla beans. But after a couple of years I had forgotten the ratio. Same with cinnamon sugar. Each had two ingredients but I had to start all over again because I didn't write it down. I have all of my canning recipes typed out but I need to make it more like a journal. Also so it can be passed down to loved ones. 

• Like 2