MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Made bread today....

That looks yummy.  I can almost smell it. :happy0203:  A quality loaf of bread here is close to $5. I used to make bread by hand every week.  Now I use my old bread maker even for the gluten free bread I use.  Gluten free is almost $7 a loaf now but it is getting more expensive to make too.  

• Like 2

I have a question for you ladies BUT first Joyfilled I'd like to have a piece of that bread and jelly.  It looks delicious!!!

I've made bread and rolls, etc. for years.  Used to do it all the time but not so much anymore.  My question?  I've never used vinegar when making it.  I've been googling it today as a recipe I read calls for it.  It sounds like I should have been using it all these years.  Do any of you put vinegar in yours?

• Like 1

It depends on what type of bread you want to make.   Vinegar gives you a fluffier loaf and will make the crust more crispy, but it will take longer to rise.  A LOT longer.  Up to a whole day depending on temperature/altitude/humidity.  If you have the time for it, it can give good results, but remember that it is liquid and does not offset the other liquids in equal measure to itself.   Start with a standard recipe then experiment for the ratio that works for you.      I do this occasionally, but I don't have as much time as I used to at the moment.  Perhaps when the youngest gets bigger.

It also works best in less dense loaves (not oatmeal for instance) and those where you use a smaller amount of honey/sugar as those things will make it more dense.   A nice french bread recipe usually benefits the most.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 8/17/2022 at 10:44 AM, Dee said:

I have a question for you ladies BUT first Joyfilled I'd like to have a piece of that bread and jelly.  It looks delicious!!!

I've made bread and rolls, etc. for years.  Used to do it all the time but not so much anymore.  My question?  I've never used vinegar when making it.  I've been googling it today as a recipe I read calls for it.  It sounds like I should have been using it all these years.  Do any of you put vinegar in yours?

Come on over!! :)

• Like 2