MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Does Your Child Fuss About Using the Safety Seats in Your Car???

Midnightmom

Found this on Quora. Posting it here in case anyone would like to give the same "explanation" to a toddler who doesn't want to use a child safety seat in a car.

When my daughter was a toddler she didn’t like the feeling of being harnessed in her car seat. She asked why she had to wear it, and I told her that’s the rules. Everyone has to buckle up for safety, besides, there’s a sensor in the car where the car won’t go if a child is in it and the car seat isn’t buckled up. She asked, “really?” And I said very seriously, “Yes.”

The next time she got in the car, we were going somewhere fun, I put her in her car seat and “pretended” to forget to buckle her up. I could see her grinning through my reverse mirror. She was positive she was going to escape the clutches of the dreaded harness. I started the car, and revved the engine. I muttered, “Why won’t the car go? I guess I better call a tow truck.” I turned around to my daughter and said sadly, “I guess we have to cancel today, there’s something wrong with the car, I’m sorry.” The disappointment in her face was over the top.

Suddenly, she said, “Mommy I know what’s wrong! You forgot to buckle me up for safety!” I slapped my forehead, hopped out, went around to the back and buckled her up. I hopped back into the driver’s seat, and amazingly, the car started up, went into drive and on our way we went.
Along the way, I heard several, “Mommy, are you so proud of me?” To which I responded, “I am so proud, I could just fall over.” which was followed with a gale of giggles.

I never had a car seat issue again.
  • Like 2

Love it. Sometimes parents have to pull out all of the stops just to get through the day without everyone having a meltdown. Especially momma.

G-son uses the line, "Click-it or Ticket"

Something else but I can't remember what. Probably something from the dog McGruff?