MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freeze Dryer: Yay or Nay?

Hello, ladies! 

I was thinking about potentially investing in a freeze dryer (not a dehydrator -- I already have one of those), and although I knew that the prices would be hefty, I definitely got sticker shock at what I found.  A medium freeze dryer is around $2600, before tax and all of the delivery add-ons.  

I know the benefits of freeze drying, but I am not sure I can justify that price for one piece of equipment.  We try to be frugal in our preparation, and this seems like a lot of money to spend on a single-purpose item.  I would love to ask you all what you think.  Does anybody have a freeze dryer that they use?  If anyone has decided it's not a wise purchase, can you share your thoughts with me about why you made that decision?  I would be very grateful for any thoughts you may be willing to share.  

• Like 1

EmeraldCat.  I have also been thinking of a freeze dryer.  I finally sat down and made a list of the things I would be MOST likely to use enough to warrant the price.  Then I ordered a variety of freeze dried foods to make sure we would like them. Then I listed what other prep or preps I might spend that money for instead. When I realized I had a generator on one list and if we lost electricity I would need the generator to operate the freeze dryer I began to have doubts.  I decided I could buy a whole lot of freeze dried foods AND a generator for the same amount.  :shrug:

• Like 4

My dear life-long friend who I stayed with and rode to Iowa with and returned with......  We had a LOT of prepping conversations!!!  This topic was one of them.  She was heavily leaning towards the freeze-dryer, mostly cuz of meat.  Different types of jerky with a dehy. But not most meats. 

By the time I left, she was leaning towards getting a much larger dehydrator with controls to be able to dehy a lot of herbs that she's been studying/cultivating/foraging for a while now.  And she's about worn her old dehy out!  She was doing apples and veggies by the bushel while I was there.  And  they have a generator. 

As for us....freeze dryer prices are not even close to possible.  I've used our dehydrator since the mid 80's.  It's a good box one with the dial for low [herbs] medium and high.  I need to use it more.....when I've got the energy.  First thing I did when Covld hit China was to dehydrate loads of onions, bananas, and stuff we use.

The most I'd think about would be a newer dehydrator, JIC     ....and we don't have a generator so....  :shrug: 

That's all I've got for opinion.

MtRider  ....... :lois: 

• Like 1

I'm really grateful for your replies!  I had similar concerns about the price.  We need to purchase a generator now that we live in tornado country.  Our neighbors told us about a huge storm that came through in 2011 that spawned multiple tornadoes; everyone's power was out for over a week.  When I think of what that would do to the meat I have stored in our freezer, I practically get hives!  We have two teenagers, and even though I try to make about two vegetarian meals a week to save money, we still go through quite a bit of meat.  

I think that a generator needs to take priority right now...maybe I can set aside a cash fund for a freeze dryer down the road -- if the world hasn't gone completely crazy by then.  :behindsofa:

• Like 3

I had been researching a freeze dryer this year. My SIL would consider buying half of it. Then she came down with Lyme disease and has been laid up ever since. I think that was our answer from above to purchasing the apparatus. Heading into winter, we don't have the garden volume that we had earlier this summer. All the kids are raised and gone. There is only so much that older people can eat now days.  :hug3:

• Like 4

I to have looked into the freeze dryers, and they are too pricey for being just one person. Don't think I would get my money's worth from one. I do use my dehydrator a lot though.  I also heard they draw a lot of electricity to run. So, I would check that out also.  

i do have a whole house generator that runs on natural gas. I am saving up for a solar generator to run if natural gas for some reason is cut off. My house is mostly natural gas.  Stove, clothes dryer, heat, and hot water. So, looking into a solar generator for all of that that will not be connected to the grid. 

• Like 3

Got one.  Don't use it.

Messy, very messy.  

Incredibly noisy.

Takes all kinds of fiddly work to keep it running properly.  There are user websites devoted to information the company should be putting out.  Unfortunately, you can't always tell which information goes with which generation of machine.

The company knows about various fixes and tweaks/upgrades, but sells them instead of putting them on the machine as it comes out of the box.  

• Thanks 4

EmeraldCat  :hi:

You joined while I was away BUT... WELCOME!

I thought you had one Ambergris was wasn't sure. They make them where you don't have to change the oil now. Or something like that.  :shrug:

I've thought seriously about one too. To be honest I don't think I'd use it that often. I probably would for fruit and veggies but how often would I eat those over fresh or frozen or even dehydrated? Apples, blueberries, bananas and strawberries would be nice but I could only eat so many of those. I dehydrated a boatload (a lot!) of veggies this year. But I did them with emergency food only in mind. For when all of my other food runs out and I'm hungry. 

I think the only other thing I would use it for is things like mac and cheese, chili or casserole type foods. That would be nice to have but I'm not sure how to prepare those after they were freeze dried. I mean, would I even like them. 

I still think about one. But they would have to come WAY down in price before I'd be seriously tempted. Right now I have more home re-doing than I have money so a freeze dryer has moved further down on my list.  

Then again, I'm an older single person so that probably makes a difference too. 

• Like 6

Same here Miki. I used the heck out of mine this year and I'm glad I did. I have a lot of jars of dehydrated veggies stored away. I really need to work on some fruit next.

Even though, I used frozen veggies from Sam's Club. Sometimes I felt like I was cheating. I'll get over that when I'm hungry and feeding my family. Betcha. 

• Like 4

You all have such great perspectives! I’m glad y’all have shared them with me. 

Hi, Jeepers! Thanks so much. It’s nice to meet you! 

Y’all have reminded me to get back into my dehydrating game. We moved over the summer and I’ll tell y’all, it knocked me off my game. I’m feeling pressed to work hard on preparing right now, though! 

• Like 2