MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storage Idea for Manuals Or Receipts

Jeepers

In another forum Snapshotmiki mentioned printing off an instruction guide for an item she had bought. Great idea to do when you buy something that comes without a booklet. Or you misplace it. That got me thinking about all of those booklets and pamphlets I used to have laying around...somewhere. They used to tell us to keep your instructions with your appliance/tool so you will always know where they are. That was before we had all of these choices in countertop appliances and battery operated tools. 

Years ago I bought two of those container things that look like those little boxes with the back removed. The kind doctors hang on the door to put your chart in before they enter your room. I got the clear plastic ones. I hung one on the garage wall. It keeps all of the manuals for the tools, lawn mower, snow blower etc. in it. Now I can lay my hands on any of the instruction booklets without trying to search for it. I also have one for all of my kitchen appliances. I just haven't come up with a good place to hang it yet. Probably a closet in the pantry room. My kitchen space is limited and I don't need it in plain sight anyway. I just need to know where they are. I staple the receipt to the manual. If I buy a bunch of small items along with a big ticket item, I pay separately just so I can save the receipt. That is if I can remember. I used to keep them in a shoebox type tote but some of the manuals were wider than the tote and then there was the issue of where to store the tote. So now I use the wall space. Mine is similar to the picture below. It was $13.00 at Amazon. They are pretty pricy at office supply stores though. If the manuals tend to flop over, just put them all in one of those cheap 2 pocket binders first. I think I'll do that with mine just to keep them cleaner. Make sure your container is wide enough though. Really a basket of any kind would work. Wicker, metal or plastic. Anything to ease some of the aggravation in our life, huh. 

All that to say use a hanging container.

(Deleted a picture that didn't show up)

Edited by Jeepers
Dead Picture
  • Thanks 2

Well, I like your idea of putting them in a gallon baggie first. Better than a folder to keep them clean. Especially with the zip lock top. And I already have the bags. I'm stealing your idea.   :bow:

• Like 3

Jeepers I like that idea, but the picture wouldn't come up for me. But I know what you are talking about.

I think that is a great way to organize all the manuals and instructions for appliances, and yard items. Keeps them all together to find in a hurry when needed.

• Like 2

:gaah:

I deleted it from my desktop and it must have deleted it here too. Never mind though. Here is the item I was talking about. If you go to Amazon and type in wall organizers a lot of different ideas will show. 

image.jpeg 

• Like 3

All of my manuals are in 3 ring binders.  I buy those clear sleeve protectors and stuff the manuals in them.  Some have multiple manuals in the same sleeve and others just one.   It is very easy to organize and find things this way.    I sort them by binder: (outside stuff green binder, major appliances and kitchen items white binder, rest in a black binder.)  then each binder has a sections like kitchen/laundry/house or garden/recreation/tools  or medical/craft/etc.  I further subdivide stuff then alphabetize it or group like things together under a common collective name ie.. scrapbook tools, drills, etc.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Euphrasyne, that is also a good way to keep them all together.  DH has a brown filing box that he kept all the garden stuff in. That stays on top of the toolbox and is still up there now. I need to go through it to see what all is in there. I know the furnace, air-conditioner. hot water tank and the lawnmowers, tiller and things are in there but don't know what else is in there. Something that can wait for a while though. I have enough I am going through right now.  One thing at a time. 

• Like 2

Euphrasyne, I use that sleeve method for my prep info that I've printed out too. I have eight binders that I have divided into, health, lists, food preservation, crafts etc. Most of the binders have subs group inside. Such as my Weather Binder also has subgroups of radios (scanners, CB, Ham, short wave, codes) Nuclear (waste, fallout, preventions) and so on. I just ran out of room to store them all so I had to start condensing them. I like the ones with a pocket on the front and on the side so I can see at a glance what is in them. I have one skinny one that says, "Last Minute" It's light weight and easy to grab and very concise for a last minute preparedness. 

I made a H U G E binder of quilt patterns that I've printed out. It's one of the biggest binders I could find and it still doesn't close all the way. It takes up a lot of room but each pattern is safely ensconced in its own little protective sleeve. :rolleyes:

I still want to make a binder of my canning recipes. I have them typed out and organized in the computer but I want them neatly organized on individual cards.

• Like 4

I do have a huge binder that I keep all the canning recipes and also general recipes that I have printed out over time. All are in those sleeves. I had been working on that before DH got sick and need to get back to working on it again along with some other things. But getting the house back together is first priority. It's getting closer to being done everyday.

• Like 2