MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

RSV ?

Been hearing a lot about this RSV. Anyone know anything about it. Hospitals are getting full, and it affects mostly children, stuff like that. With 4 kids at home 11-3, it makes me a little nervous....

• Like 3

I don't know much about it either but I have 9 grandchildren...Even though they don't live near me at all, my husband and now wear masks in the stores [only public setting we go to]. We do this for ourselves but moreso for any children that we may come across while shopping-- and the elderly [though i dont know if we count as 'elderly' too at 63 yrs.old] But I'm noticing more and more people are wearing masks in the stores where we live. My mother who is 85 told me this a.m. that RSV is also hitting the elderly too--not just children. I have continued to use disinfectant wipes in the stores and wipe down my buggy in all areas that i know I touch it--not just the handle. I use the disinfectant wipe when cashing out too for debit and keep it in my hand frequently wiping down my hands while shopping. So far, we've not got covid at all. In the summer, we stopped wearing masks sometime after it was not law to do so anymore but we've started up again. I think these are good precautions to take. If you take these precautions while out and about, I hope that we can alleviate our loved children getting ill. I can see you're a homeschooling mom--and I was too--I think schools are nothing more than germ factories so you're one step ahead with kids at home and pretty safe--just take precautions while out.

Edited by Motherhen
  • Like 4

I know that RSV can either be mild or very serious depending on the person/child but I believe the real concern is the fact that there are also strains of flu and Covid flying around too.  One of those alone might be mild but a combination could be deadly.  

DH and I have only been in a store or any where else a couple times in the last couple years without masks.  Is it a pain?  Definitely!  But considering we chose not to take the Covid or flu vaccines (Me because of my doctor’s veto due to allergies) we made the personal choice to wear masks, wash our hands often, and etc.  We still see family, still go to stores but we follow the precautions we learned many years ago while prepping for any contagious illnesses. Our family members might have different views but they all respect and understand our choice and do their parts to keep us safe.   So far we have been blessed.  

We have literally dozens of grand children and great grand children (17 of the first and 20 of the latter) and I, too, worry about them.  I trust their parents to do their part to keep them safe but do my part as well.  

Joyfilled. Gather the info from around your area. The place your family would most be likely to contact these or any illness.  Then follow your heart to do what you feel is best for your family.  :hug3:

• Like 5

I had RSV pneumonia in 2017 (I am particularly vulnerable to all respiratory infections due to my asthma). It nearly put me in the hospital and they almost sent me home on oxygen. It was the worst shortness of breath I've ever had. For young babies and toddlers and the elderly/immunecompromised it can be extremely serious. Most people who have it just think they have a cold. If you know anyone with young children or who are vulnerable just be considerate and wear a mask or stay home if you have cold symptoms, wash your hands, etc. So much comes back to common sense and not being around those who are ill or going out when we are ill. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DD19 was born in 2003 almost 8 weeks early at 3lb 11oz.  There was a big concern about RSV and SARS at the time so she fell into the high risk category.  We had to get 3 shots every few weeks as a precaution and were told not to take her anywhere around people.   I'm not sure if they still do that vaccine for the vulnerable population or not.   Most people are ok, but it does cause the shortness of breath issues Becca-Anne mentioned and agree with her advice.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I am very careful when going out to stores. In some stores I don't wear a mask as those stores are not crowded. I do wipe down the grocery baskets all over to be safe. Our Food Lion has both liquid anti sanitizer and the wipes for the customers. I take the wipes and hold under the liquid for wiping down the carts. Makes it moister to wipe down the whole cart. Then when I leave store, I grab a couple of the wipes for when I go back to car to wipe hands again. I also keep wipes in car as some stores don't offer that. So, I always carry a small pack of them in those stores with me. So far, I have been very thankful that I have never had covid nor the flu for years. though I do have a cough and I think it is coming from the new blood pressure meds doctor put me on. will be taking to him about that on next visit. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Becca Ann I agree with you.  More and more of these "new" diseases are coming along, but those "universal precautions" always seem to work...wash your hands often, stay away from crowds, stay home if you are sick, etc, etc.  Not sure how well the masks work, but they certainly cant hurt and are a courtesy to those around you.  Getting enough sleep is becoming more and more touted to keep the immune system in working condition so now we all have an excuse to sleep in more often, LOL.  :offtobed:

• Like 3