MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question, question....

I have electric glass top stover, or whatever they're called.  I can't pressure can on it and have been wondering about a hotplate.  Does anyone use one for canning?  Do they work?  I've looked at Amazon just to get ideas, but I know absolutely nothing about them so I'm not even sure what to look for.

Thanks!

• Confused 1

Dee, I don't know about that. I know you would need to find out what the BTU's are as to how hot it gets. It might not get hot enough to can on. But what I use for summer canning now is a propane burner. Like they use to fry turkeys on or cooking crabs in. You would need to check the BTU's the higher the better. I am looking into getting a double one as I usually have 2 canners going at the same time.  I also have a two-burner propane stove that DH made me. That has been up in the loft, and I need to get it down and start using it as well. It was made out of an old gas stove. 

I think someone had asked about that on here a long time ago but don't know where that post is. 

• Like 1

The problem I’ve found with hot plates is that they tend to not be big enough to support a canner but the real problem is they fluctuate in their temperatures making pressure canning a bit risky. People do can on the burners of their gas grills but again, you’d have to test the evenness of the burn.  

Is there such a thing as a modern gas canning stove? You would probably be better off with something gas because you would then also have something to cook on in grid down situations, like during Iowa storms.  

• Like 1

I once bought a $130 hot plate that advertised it was good for canning.  It had a dial for heat, infinitely adjustable, and was very strong/heavy.  I did a good bit of canning on it before it disappeared.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Dee said:

I have electric glass top stover, or whatever they're called.

Is it an induction stovetop? They work by magnetism so any pots or pans you use have to be made of iron or at least have a certain amount of iron in them. I imagine there may also be a "weight limit" per burner???

Propane burners are used by many canners, BUT, you have to know what the BTU limit is for your CANNER, not necessarily the output of the stove being used. A lot of these set-up are located outside, on a porch etc, and care is taken to make sure there is a wind shield in place to prevent the flame from fluctuating and causing uneven temp shifts.

• Like 2

Most of the electric glass top are not induction.  Instead they are just flat for easier cleaning and you are advised not to can on them as they heat unevenly (because most pots are not flat) and they have a weight limit.  I used to have one and I hated it.  

You should follow all safety precautions you feel comfortable with, but know that many people cook with gas inside as long as there is good ventilation.   This would be me on my gas stove and previously on an Asian style cooktop.   It is also exceptionally common to see east Asian cultures using butane and gas indoors in their everyday usage.  When I had the glass top stove, I used something like below for flame issues. 

Amazon.com: Suntouch Portable Gas Stove with Case (ST-7000 Blue): Home & Kitchen

• Like 2