MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Is your food ruined??? (pressure canning "problem")

Having had some small amount of black stuff, and listening to my long deceased grandmother, she told me at one time which food might cause a slight amount of black "stuff" that was OK.  Most of what I see here I would never feed to humans.  Grandmother did feed it to the pigs, though.

• Like 2

I watched the video.   She can call that staining all she likes, but that doesn't make it true.  The internet if full of experts and having a youtube doesn't gift anyone with any extra trust on my part.  I'm someone that will eat something 5 years out of date if it looks good.   You do what makes you comfortable.  I would not be and would be mad if someone served it to me.   Everyone has their comfort level.  That is well beyond mine.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, euphrasyne said:

The internet if full of experts and having a youtube doesn't gift anyone with any extra trust on my part.

My thoughts exactly and no, I did not watch the video for that reason.  You ask, “is your food ruined?” If my food looked like that I would say “yes it is”.  Just MHO though.  

• Like 1

I have had jars like that. When I found something like that first picture I went ahead and ate the food in the jar. Actually the lid wasn't even that bad. A small dark spot or two. Only on the lid.  

But if I saw black stuff traveling down the jar or on the food, then there is no way I would eat it. Even if it was safe the ick factor would be enough for me to not chance it. I know it happens, I've had black on my lids too. But a little discoloration under the lid is one thing. That looks like it has been there for a number of years. Another reason to check on your stored food and rotate it. 

I read some of the comments under the video. Most of those women act like it's a big issue to throw away a jar of food. Pitch that crap now instead of chancing getting sick, especially when a doctor or meds may not be available. You (figuratively) deserve what you get. Your innocent family doesn't.

Here are my guide lines...would I serve it to my little grandson?

Would I show it to my family and ask them if they want to eat it?

BTW, I eat out dated food too. But it had better smell good and look good.

• Like 3

I indicated "small amount on the lid".  I have never seen it creep down the glass jar.  Those jars would go into the trash.  Would not even open them.  If my memory serves, I believe it was only tomatoes that showed on the lids.

• Like 3

This is the most pinholing should ever look: in my non-expert opinion (but I too can quote master canners :canning:  :sassing:.)

Notice that is is not streaky, built up, traveling down into the food, or on the actual seal part.    The pictures above, just the shear amount of build up indicate that the problem is well beyond staining and the medical bill for food poisoning is going to be much higher than the $2-$10 the jar of actual food is worth.  

68i3qrvezoba1.jpg

• Like 1

I have had some black on some of my food but nothing like some of those pictures. And yes, if it was going down the jar, I would throw it out. what little bit of black on the lids I had wasn't very much. So, I was ok with it and never got sick. But I have limits also.

• Like 2