MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Guidelines for canning your own recipes for soups................

Do you want to expand your preserved soup varieties beyond the limited number of recipes in the USDA canning book, or perhaps even those in the Ball books?

The Cooperative Extension Office at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks has published a 12 page guideline titled "Canning Soups and Sauces" that gives broad principles of how to do so safely. The exception to making up your own recipes applies to those that contain tomatoes:

For tomato-based soups and sauces, like chili and pasta sauce, only specific, scientifically researched and tested recipes should be used, like those included here.

(Aside: here's a question for you  more experienced canners. If a spaghetti sauce calls for mushrooms - which I don't like - would it change the approved recipe enough to make it unsafe to can?)

If you are interested in having this free resource in your library, click this link and the PDF will automatically download: 

file:///C:/Users/pclay/Desktop/FNH-00065_Canning_Soups_and_Sauces_small.pdf

ETA: Did you catch the "error" in the recommended canning process? An astute home canner did, and this is the reply to her post:

error.JPG.f221bad0e274eac3cffd2573cabad7f3.JPG

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I was processing some of that chicken today that I got on sale (see Watcha Doing thread) and decided to watch a vid to refresh my memory because I wanted to jar it up bone in. To my surprise I found out that you don't have to process bone-in chix as long as you have to process boneless! Has something to do with the bones helping to conduct heat I think. I visited several university extension sites to confirm the info, and by golly it is so! It is also in the USDA guidelines under "Processing Chicken and Rabbits - Rev 2020," so I don't think the info is in the older printed book(s).

I also found a sample recipe for veggie soup on the PennStateExtension site that indicates you don't need to follow a strict recipe when using tomatoes as the OP says. The caveat is, they used commercially canned tomatoes or tomato juice in this recipe, so I think it would be alright to make up "my own" recipe as that is what I use. The acceptable veggies include green beans, carrots, celery, peas, corn, lima beans, diced bell peppers, and fresh parsley. It also said "you could include onion for the peppers" or substitute "cooked or canned kidney beans" for the corn or lima beans. I will be making chicken soup with the remaining bad of chix drumsticks tomorrow following these guidelines. Perhaps someone could view the info and tell me if I've interpreted it correctly? Here is that link: https://extension.psu.edu/lets-preserve-soup

• Thanks 2

I use the National Center for my recipes…

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html

Selecting, Preparing and Canning Meat

Chicken or Rabbit 

Please read Using Pressure Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Choose freshly killed and dressed, heathy animals. Large chickens are more flavorful than fryers. Dressed chicken should be chilled for 6 to 12 hours before canning. Dressed rabbits should be soaked 1 hour in water containing 1 tablespoon of salt per quart, and then rinsed. Remove excess fat. Cut the chicken or rabbit into its suitable size parts for fitting into your jars leaving required headspace. Can with or without bones. The hot pack is preferred for best liquid cover and quality during storage. Natural poultry fat and juices are usually not enough to cover the meat in raw packs.

Hot pack – Boil, steam or bake meat until about two-thirds done. Add 1 teaspoon salt per quart to the jar, if desired. Fill jars with pieces and hot broth, leaving 1-1/4 inch headspace.

Raw pack – Add 1 teaspoon salt per quart, if desired. Fill jars loosely with raw meat pieces, leaving 1-1/4 inch headspace. Do not add liquid.

Adjust lids and process following the recommendations in Table 1 or Table 2according to the canning method used.

Go to the link above for the time tables and altitude variances.

• Thanks 2

@Annarchy I have that one too, but the link was to The University of Pennsylvania, College of Agriculture, Extension Services, so I thought it would be an okay recipe. I just wanted to make sure I didn't misunderstand the options for using tomatoes in "my" recipe.

• Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe developed by Andy Hirneisen, Penn State Extension. Senior Extension Educator and Team Leader, Food Safety & Quality

Expertise

• Food Safety
  • Food Quality
  • Environmental Monitoring
  • Home Food Preservation
  • Like 2