MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Watcha doing today?

What really makes me mad is that when you call my doctors office, you get hooked up to a 'system'. A switchboard. You don't get the real office so asking about referrals out of the 'system' is impossible. I called twice today. One said they only do this test at that downtown campus. I explained the driving situation with the freeways there and she said she didn't blame me. I called again later, hoping to get my doctors office directly. What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results? Insanity? That would be me I guess. This time a different woman answered. Miss Congeniality said, "We are the only place that does it so I don't know what to tell you."  Fine. 

Ya know, even if I knew someone who would take me, I wouldn't ask them to take me down there in that mess. If son was here I wouldn't ask him. Plus, to be honest, it is a sort of seedy area.

So I guess tomorrow I'm going to have to go into the office and see if I can get a referral out of the system. They close early on Friday so I might wait until Monday. Probably won't be able to hear anything they say anyway. I can't go today because I have a lawyer appointment at 3:00. I'm getting disgruntled. 

Midnightmom, I hope it won't affect my driving statice either! Wouldn't that just be the icing on my cake. I'm fine sitting down. It's just when I'm upright and walking that is the issue. 'They' may not see it that way though. Just kill me now. 

My mower guy stopped by the hotel and I paid him for the month of April. So that's done. He had to raise everyone's rate by $5.00 a mow. He felt bad but I don't blame him. Inflation and the prices of everything is sucking the life out of all of us. It is trickling down to all areas of our life. Even getting your grass cut. The price of gas is really hurting him. Actually, I'm just glad I got someone reliable lined up to do it. One last mess to try to solve this year. He was in the parking lot and got out of his truck to meet me. We hugged and I handed him cash and told him to count it out. Nothing suspicious looking about that!  LOL

Well, my original lawyer appointment was at 4:00. They called a couple of days ago and said they had a cancelation and wondered if I could come in at 3:00. I assume they wanted to get out of the office early for the day. I don't blame them. I would too. It really didn't matter to me. I just got a call that they are running behind and could I possibly come in at 3:30 now. No problem for me but, sheeesh. From 4:00 to 3:00 to 3:30. Dang people, get your act together. Glad I'm not working or had other things planned. All I'm going in for is to sign some papers getting son on the POD. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Miki, that is good news about Peanut Butter. Sounds like a good plan of action. I always said I'd gladly eat her food. Home canned real food...heck yeah. My dog always got better health care from her vet than I did from my doctor! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had a great time at the lawyer office today. Probably don't hear those words very often. After we exchanged pleasantries he told me he and his wife just adopted a dog today. She is his receptionist. The wife, not the dog. We talked about dogs for awhile and he asked me if I wanted to meet her. Swoon. He brought her in the room and we bonded. I seem to be doing that a lot with dogs lately. Hotel lobby and lawyer office. Really nice doodle type dog. Must have been a labradoodle because she was pretty big. She was a little shy at first but that didn't last long. She was a really nice dog. A good time was had by all.  Finally. 

• Like 7

Dentist visit checked off the list.  

Antidepressants were out of stock/sold out at the first four pharmacies, but the fifth pharmacy had two bottles.  I bought both.  The woman behind the counter asked what she was supposed to tell the next person who came in wanting them.  I said, "I'm sorry.  We ordered too few this week, but we will try to do better next week." 

She laughed.

Found and bought a replacement emergency whistle for my purse, since calling 9-1-1 doesn't do anything here.  You're supposed to phone the neighbors, but which one first?   If you don't luck out on the nearest one who's home with the first telephone call, you might be sorely out of luck.  A whistle works better.  Bought a second one for PM, who has been looking for one for quite a while.  These are referee whistles.  Mine is up to 120 decibels and hers is up to 115 decibels.

The store that was supposed to have the resistance bands didn't have them but had latex "scarves" that didn't look useless and cost less than five bucks each, so I got one of each of the two available stiffnesses.  Then I hit a few other sporting goods stores and finally found what looks like only one step down from what my exercise guy uses.  Got that too, and plan to show it to him tomorrow for instructions.  (Catch a hint of how I managed to luck into the referee whistles?)

The trip to the fruit tree nurseries got rained out.  

• Like 6

Glad you got your tooth taken care of. That's a big one to be able to check off. 

That was a good answer to give to the clerk. Sounds like the other pharmacies could heed the same advice. Smart to get the meds while you could still find them. I would have done the same thing. 

The whistles remind me I need to get some more pepper spray. Mine are very old and the pharmacy by my house sells them. The new ones they have are a little bit bigger too. I want one for my car and one for my purse. I keep forgetting. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

MidnightMom, GS will be moving on on or before July 1st. That is his last day here. Job or no job.  

I am glad you found out about Peanut. Hopefully the liver counts will come down. 

Jeepers, I hope you can find a better place to take that test. That map looks bad. I wouldn't even want to drive in that. 

Went out to garden shed and emptied it out for the most part. I have a lot of mess on street and now have all garden stuff in one huge box all together now.  A friend and his brother was suppose to come by this afternoon to take all the electrical stuff and gas pipe fittings and things since that is what they do for a living. I can't use it and no need to keep it if I don't know what half of it is. DH worked for the gas co. and he had a zillion things dealing with gas and electric. Though mostly gas pipe fittings and things. So right now all of that is sitting in middle of shed waiting for them to come get it. GS did come out and help me go through a lot of stuff and then we got all the tools and things put away in its proper place. One the pipe fittings and stuff are out of shed, I will go  back and do a little reorganizing that I can't do with that stuff in the middle of floor. Worked on that shed all day long. I am tired, sore and over did it. But it's done for the most part. Now we are suppose to have rain and colder weather again. But at least I got a lot of it done before the rain hits later. 

Guess tomorrow I will be working in the house again. But needed to be outside on these nice days. Still need to deal with the rest of the flower beds but that won't be to bad. Will just have to play by the weather.  I wanted to get the big garden area tilled today but didn't make it that far. But the area is ready to till up now. 

May be hitting the bed a bit early tonight. Good hot shower and bed. I am really beat.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Littlesister said:

am tired, sore and over did it.

Oye, Little Sister!  You're still on 'sick leave' ....resting with some fresh air to get your strength back!  .....sheesh, she sounds like me!  :busted:    However, it's GOOD to hear GS was helping his Grma!!!!!  :thumbs:  But do be careful, friend.  None of us is as young as we remember being...  Is GS competent to work the garden tilling?   Cuz young body should exercise :woohoo:  and the rest of us should :pc_coffee:      Well no.  We all need moderate exercise but sorting out and organizing is a better use of our older bodies and competent minds.  ;)  

DH went to skin doc today and came out with lots of "freeze-treated" pre-cancer spots and 2 biopsied areas.  Good....cuz those areas didn't look right for a while now.  :pray:  We'll get results of biopsies soon, I think. 

I talked to grief counselor.  No further choking incidents for Mom.  She's doing well with a visit each weekday from eldercare person.  They went shopping today which both enjoy.  Even if they don't buy anything.  They do puzzles some days.  Her care person drives her to meet up with Bro so they can see the cherry blossoms or the buildings he's in charge of remodeling.  Everyone is happier cuz Bro and Niece abhor shopping.   And someone to check 5 days a week = that she's okay.  :amen:    All of us are less worried.   Mom's got more stimulation in her life!  :amen:  

Ambergris....yes.  I think it's TIME.....and over-TIME to stock up on essential meds.  'Script - if possible.  OTC - definitely!  I need to check some expiration dates on some we got just before the C.....cuz we were both nasty sick in early Jan 2020.  Restocked for that reason but haven't been THAT sick again.  Rumblings of continued "supply chain" and out-of-the-country products  [which kinda doesn't apply to you....or out of your current country? ] mean getting stuff ahead for any/all illness and injury potentials......  Take inventory and fill in the holes, everyone.  :thumbs: 

:frozen:   ...we got 2" of SNOW last night.  Since it's anti-wildfire wetness..... :amen:    Most has melted. 

Gaaaah.... took a very unintentional nap after returning from "town" today.  I wasn't even laying down....kinda half sitting up on the bed!  NOW I'm still up at 3am.  Not the plan.  Definitely NOT the plan!

MtRider   :offtobed:   ...perhaps to sleep and dream   or lie awake thinking  "Dang, that nap felt good! "   :busted:  

• Like 4

Rain here, today. Did a walkaerobics video instead of going for walk. I much prefer getting outside, but glad I have an option.
Helping a friend today and tomorrow.
Hope everyone has a great weekend!

• Like 2

Mt. Rider, GS does do the tilling for me. He did it last year and I will have him do it again. It's been raining off and on here so no yard work today. So working  around in house today. I have most of the windows open and it feels good to have the fresh air blowing into the house. As soon as I have garden fully planted, I will be washing all the windows and curtains in house. By then all the pollen should have stopped. I hate that stuff. Turns everything green. My car was really bad a couple of weeks ago. From a grey car to a green car overnight.  I still have the other shed to clean out but won't be as bad as the garden shed. But I don't even remember what all is in that one. But will soon find out, weather permitting. I know there are clothes, old drapes, books, still some  canning supplies, christmas decorations and from there I forget what is in there. But will get it all sorted out.  Then I move to the attic. That will be fun. I need to inventory my paper supplies up there. Still a lot of stuff both in shed, attic, and house to sort through and down size it all.  

• Like 2

Glad to hear you can make use of the resource of young muscles, LittleSister! 

Oye.....  I've been sorting/clearing inside.  Still pretty cold outside tho wind is not bad.  I vacuumed in one bedroom, then started vacuum up for the living room and poof.  The electricity in the living room plugs and the hanging light/fan was gone.  :scratchhead:   Other half of front of cabin is the kitchen and everything was fine there.  Also bedrooms/bath/basement is fine.  Porch light went out with the living room section. 

EH and I both tried flipping the switches in the circuit box.  Several times.  Called J/B caretakers.  They're out-of-state til next week.  No worries.  We have heat....light in most places...kitchen/bath.....  We're good.  Had to run an extension to power the Internet router tho.  We're HOPING AND PRAYING that it's merely a bad circuit in the box outside.   But.....a lamp in that corner malfunctioned a couple months ago.  Replacing the bulb didn't help.  :scratchhead: 

I've been meaning to get back there and get a look at the outlet.....  But that's where our "pantry " is located.  THIS will be a HUGE deal to move all that....and move it to WHERE?    We haven't given up WINTER :frozen:  yet.  Can't just put it out on the porch.  If it is the circuit switch....why would the lamp show a problem months before the whole deal blew out? 

Living in a very old log cabin.......I'm a bit nervous about anything that could cause a fire.  I spent today sorting more Mom-stuff in the small bedroom  Got some space cleared.  624 sq ft in the whole cabin does NOT give much space anywhere!  But maybe I can start dismantling that corner....just to make sure this isn't an emergency situation.  Like...if I see burn marks by the outlet?   Prayers appreciated that this is simple and safe!!

I have a HORSE RIDE tomorrow.  :amen:   I'm well enough to sustain for an hour....I hope.  Still fairly wiped out for stamina.  But haven't ridden in weeks now. 

Everyone around here is getting sick.  Is it the same in your areas?  :fever:  

MtRider  .....  :sigh:   

• Sad 3

Feel better Mt Rider. Hope the electrical issue turns out to be something simple. Homes sure keep us busy with repairs!

Littlesister glad GS can help you till. I need to get my kids to help me this year since the area will be bigger and more grass to clear.

Jeepers glad your business at the lawyer went smoothly.

Ambergris so glad your tooth got fixed.

Miki have a great weekend too! and glad Peanut is doing better.

Today was my birthday so I spent it doing what I wanted. That involved going to the paint store to buy the paint for the room I'm still renovating, and then I relaxed most of the rest of the day and we went out for dinner at a Thai restaurant and to a beautiful string quartet concert by candlelight tonight in St Louis. It was delightful

• Like 3

Happy Birthday Becca Anne.

Mt. Rider, get better soon and hope your ride is a great one. I know it helps you a lot.  And I hope the electrical issue is a simple fix. 

Ambergris, I didn't see where you were having issues with a tooth but glad it is now all fixed and you are doing better.

My energy is drained today. Don't know why other than I have congestion coming back again. Haven't gotten over the coughing from the first time yet. This isn't like me to just keep getting sick. Been a few years and I don't need to be sick now. I have to much to get done. 

Grandson is still in bed. Guess he can't break being up working all night and sleeping all day. I really hope he finds a day job and very soon. He has put in applications everywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I stopped by the house today and did a little bit of packing. I got the pottery I collected from my trips to Pennsylvania all packed up. No big deal really but since it's packed, I can put it in the Jeep and move it to Indiana. The place I got it from went out of business. I figure it will either be worth something as a collectible or will be worthless. I'm thinking the latter. :rolleyes: 

If you ever need to buy boxes from U-Haul they have a small one called Book Box or something like that. They are smaller than the small boxes and are really nice for heavy things like books and pottery etc. Especially if you are older and not very strong.  

I think I have officially cornered the market on cross stitch thread. The place I ordered patterns from online list the number of DMC thread you will need for each pattern. Actually they will sell it to you in a bundle if you want. I didn't, but I did get the numbers and went shopping. I got a lot. Enough for 8 patterns. Now I have to label all of those little cards and wrap all of that thread around each card. That should keep me busy the rest of the weekend.  :0327:  I have all of that thread and no patterns. I had them sent to Indy to thwart porch pirates. Suppose I should get some cross stitch material too. This got involved quicker than I had planned.  <_<

Kind of aggravated me though. Hobby Lobby now charges for their bags. I think people pay enough for the merchandise without paying for the bag too. I'm old school. Treat your customers like you actually like them and want them to come back. I know. I'm a dinosaur.  I had bags in my car but walking back out across the parking lot to retrieve one was more upright walking than I could do. I stuffed all of that thread in my purse and did not buy a bag to put it in. That'll show them.  :grinning-smiley-044:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jeepers a lot of places here are charging for bags now.  I keep bags on the front seat of my car and put my purse with them so I will remember to take them in with me.  I know Aldis and Lidl's both charge for bags. 

I have been watching Bible prophecy on TV most of the day. Very interesting Bible teaching. 

• Like 2

Jeepers, would it be possible for your son or DIL to take pictures of one of the patterns and send them to you?  We do that in our family.  That way you could get started in something.  

• Like 3

They have just started charging for bags around here the last year or so. The trend seems to be catching on. As far as big box stores are concerned, Wal-Mart and Meijers don't charge. As far as specialty type shops go, only Hobby Lobby charges here. Michaels and Joann don't. At least around here. Some stores will ask if you want a bag. I rarely do if they ask. Nice to have an option. I remember when I worked retail, we weren't allowed to let the customer leave the store with a purchase without a bag. I have bags in the Jeep but I can't remember to take them in. Making room in my purse is a good option. I didn't even think of that.  I think I need a bigger purse. 

Mother, that is a wonderful idea!  Hopefully I will be over there in a week or two. I just keep having appointments and it gets delayed. Things are starting to settle down now though. To be honest, when I was searching for patterns, I was surprised that no one offered to sell any digital ones. You could follow them on the computer or print them out. Maybe copyright issues? Third party selling the same pattern over and over and only paying for them once. Don't know. Of course that wouldn't be an issue with DIL emailing my own to me. There are a lot of houses in the pictures and I could get started on one of those. 

• Like 3

Thanks for well-wishes, everyone.  We had a cloudy but warm day.  I rode and it was wonderful.  Fresh air and exercise....  :faint3:    No...didn't fall off but I was plenty tired for rest of the day.  I hadn't ridden for 4 wks.  :amen:  

We're forecast for good weather for a while.  Tomorrow - Easter, since we are alone now, we'll do a ham that DH picked up.  Maybe he got sweet potatoes [if they're good this far out of season?]  

Thinking of putting one of my OLD stories down in Fireside.  Not really finished but....  one of those I don't want to be coming true.  Futuristic.  :shrug:   I haven't begun to read all your stories on the last topic Mother got going.  Anxious to do that too!  :reading:  

Happy Bday Becca Anne!  :balloons: 

As for bags in stores, DH forgot to bring in our bags so he just puts stuff back into the cart....wheels it to car and unloads it.  [we have many bags in the car]. 

MtRider  :shopping:

• Like 4

Several years ago Calif started requiring stores to charge 10¢ for bags - no more free bags for you! The "new" bags are more heavy duty and reusable, but a lot of people would still rather get new bags than try to remember to bring the "old" ones back to the store with them. I think most people just toss the bags into the trash once they get them emptied at home; kinda defeats the idea of "reducing" plastic waste and keeping the landfills from filling up too quickly. The bags aren't really that great for using as trash bags at home either. The only "exception" for stores having to charge for bags is if less than X% of the goods sold are grocery items- can't remember the percentage - but Hobby Lobby is definitely one of the stores that wasn't mandated to charge for bags. I have no idea if they are doing it now as I don't shop there.

10 hours ago, Jeepers said:

Hobby Lobby now charges for their bags. I think people pay enough for the merchandise without paying for the bag too. 

8 hours ago, Littlesister said:

a lot of places here are charging for bags now. 

Edited by Midnightmom
  • Like 4

I keep reusable bags in the back of my van because I shop at places like Aldi and BJs.  I also use boxes (mine or from the store) I have a big panara catering bag that I keep all the other bags in and I Keep a D clamp on it and use that to hang it off the shopping cart.  I do the same with my purse and diaper bag.  Baby in top, bags hanging under the handle beside her legs.   Lots more room that way.

Also I have a baby wagon that I use with the baby when we go places like parks or the zoo or aquarium.  I use it to haul purchases from the van to the house.  I can hold 300lbs.  We've been using it about a year now and it is great.  It does seem to have gone way up in price since we bought ours.  We paid 119.75 and it is now over 150.00

Amazon.com : Mac Sports Utility Wagon Outdoor Heavy Duty Folding Cart Push Pull Collapsible with All Terrain Wheels and Handle Portable Lightweight Adjustable Folded Cart Landscape Wagon (Denim Blue) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

• Like 5

I need to get re-usable bags. No charge here yet but in Oregon they started charging for bags and then most stores stopped carrying paper bags which I used for my paper recycling. They don't recycle paper here just cardboard so more stuff in the landfill. I use the plastic bags to line my small garbage cans but they give you so many now at Walmart practically one per item that I always have too many. I am not good at taking them back to the store to recycle them either so I would do better with re-usable. Thanks for the reminder I'm going to go put some in my Amazon order

• Like 2

Ohio and Indiana aren't mandated to charge for their bags. I do reuse my plastic bags. The first thing I do is to double bag them because there is usually a hole in the bottom of them. They are so thin these days too. I've noticed Wal-Mart is double bagging a lot these days too. I always thank them when they do. Saves me the time of doing it at home. I have stacks of the double bags. You wouldn't believe how much stuff I have packed in them and moved to the other house. Very convenient and light weight to handle. I use them in my kitchen trash can to keep the tall trash bag in there clean. That probably doesn't make much sense but..  I usually have some in the car. I have bought a few reusable bags and a couple of the heavy duty ones for transporting cold or frozen food from the store. My main problem is I can't remember to take them in the store with me.  Or I run in the store for 1-2 items and end up with a cart full. Then I'm at the check out line and remember I have no bags. They are in the car. What to do? Hold up the line while I run (there is a visual) back out to the car or buy a bag or two. The last couple of times I was at my regular grocery store (Giant Eagle) I mentioned that I only came in for a quick couple of items and ended in with too much. They usually say that happens to a lot of people and give a free paper bag. It isn't the price of the bag that 'gets my goat'. It's just having to pay for it when I forget to bring one. Another thing I don't like is when you go in a store and don't know they charge for bags. Like I did at Hobby Lobby yesterday. Up here you don't necessarily assume you have to buy them. 

I remember (here we go) back in the 90's when they made a big fuss over paper bags. They wanted everyone to stop using them because we were killing the trees. A big to-do was made over that one. So everyone had to stop using paper bags. Remember being asked "Paper or Plastic?"  I do. We were being conditioned to use plastic only. Like plastic bags are better for the environment. Think chemicals and landfills. Now when my grocery store offers bags they are paper bags. Full circle. They should deduct that dime from my cost of supplying my own bag. Did they reduce the price of a item when they were no longer supplying us with a bag. A 'free' bag that someone (me) is still paying for. You know that cost was added on as a 'doing business' expense. I want credit for remembering my bags. I want credit for remembering anything! It's elder shame plain and simple. Same when I scan and bag my own items. I should get paid for doing someone else's job.  Self scanners should be compensated too. 2% deducted from the total bill for using self check outs. I'd take 1% at this point. One person oversees the rest of us worker bees at six different scanners working away. Bringing in the honey-money. We are going the job of six people while one overlord watches us. And do these cashiers really want to be handling all of these bags people bring in from their dirty roach infested houses? Assuming that could be the case. Or disease ridden houses? No coincidence that strep throat is at epidemic proportions now. Marberg is rearing its ugly head too. Why? Reusable bags. We have to wear a mask in public (sometimes) yet fling around these petri dish laden bags for the world to breathe in.  

In my opinion, everything is just a big fad and everyone wants to jump on the band wagon to make themself look kool and so they can shame other people for not following along. Then years later we find out 'they' were wrong after all. After all of these years I have discovered that I don't get to sit at the kool kids table in the lunchroom anymore. Not too sure what that means right now but... Well, a mind is a terrible thing to waste so I thought I'd share with you's guys.  

OR, it could be living in one room is giving me too much time on my hands to think about these important world issues.  :shrug: 

• Haha 4

I rarely forget my bags because I keep them on the D clamp, my main 2 stores don't use bags, and it is a habit.  On the rare occasions I do forget, I just put everything in the cart and bag it when I get to my van.   We always bag at the van after a BJs trip.   Most of it is bulk and big enough to just stack in the van, but there are always a few smaller items.  

• Like 4