MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I'm always looking for juices to flavor our drinking water. The rhubarb is overwhelming this year so I decided to cook down a few pounds into juice. I'm using my stove-top juice steamer for just about everything. I ended up with 18 pints of rhubarb juice concentrate. No sweetener added. A little raw honey is nice, but it freezes up when poured over the icy water concoction.  B)  We're not ice tea drinkers so any kind of flavored water is great for us in the summertime.  rhubarbjuice..thumb.jpg.cfcb35ac81bac2aaadf4e9103ccf0a6a.jpg:wave:

• Like 4

I am not a fan of rhubarbs. But did try a rhubarb pie once and that was good. Never heard of rhubarb juice before but great job Homesteader.  That is something I had not thought of doing is making my own juices. Something I would have to try doing.

• Like 1

This was my first try at rhubarb juice. Most recipes call for cooking it down in a pan and strain through cheesecloth. I chose to use my steam juicer. It cooks down the rhubarb in 90 minutes without supervision. Canning was in pints in waterbath. We both thought the quarter to half-cup amount in a tall glass was enough strength for us. You can season to taste but it's more of a flavored water. Others at picnic suggested adding seltzer water for more zip. 

I am always looking for ways to add vitamin C to our diet. Home canned fruits hit the spot in the summer with our cold well water.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Littlesister said:

But just wasn't sure if I would can enough juice to make it worth the price.

I think I paid around $85 from Walmart last year. The only reason I purchased it was to process cases of fruits that are leftover at the food pantry at the end of each week. They wouldn't last until the next week, and even then, I have to pick through some of the older cases and toss moldy fruit into my compost bins. So far, I found that the apples don't give as much juice as the berries. I end up with more of an applesauce leftover in the top pan. I just recycle it into cakes and muffins.

Sure wish i had chickens these days. They would love all the pulp I end up with.   :hapydancsmil:

• Like 2