MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Bush Surprises U.S. Troops With Iraq Trip

Bush Surprises U.S. Troops With Iraq Trip

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent

BAGHDAD, Iraq - President Bush (news - web sites) flew to Iraq (news - web sites) under extraordinary secrecy and security Thursday to spend Thanksgiving with U.S. troops and thank them for "defending the American people from danger."

The unannounced visit brought wild cheers from battle-worn soldiers, stunned the nation and even surprised the president's parents, who had been expecting him at the Thanksgiving table at his Crawford, Texas ranch.

Bush, the first U.S. president to visit Iraq, promised that insurgents testing America's commitment will not be rewarded with a U.S. retreat.

"We did not charge hundreds of miles into the heart of Iraq, pay a bitter cost of casualties, defeat a ruthless dictator and liberate 25 million people only to retreat before a band of thugs and assassins," Bush told about 600 soldiers from the 1st Armored Division and the 82nd Airborne.

The troops had been told only that they were gathered for Thanksgiving dinner with a VIP guest in the mess hall at Baghdad International Airport.

L. Paul Bremer, the U.S. administrator in Iraq, added his own drama to the surprise. Billed as the special guest along with coalition forces commander Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, Bremer opened the program by telling the soldiers it was time to read the president's Thanksgiving proclamation.

He asked if there was "anybody back there more senior than us" to read the president's words. Bush emerged from behind a curtain as cheering soldiers climbed on chairs and tables to yell their approval.

The president shed a few tears.

"I was just looking for a warm meal somewhere," he joked, fresh from an 11-hour overseas flight. "Thanks for inviting me to dinner."

Wearing an exercise jacket with a 1st Armored Division patch, Bush then worked the entire room and dished out — but did not sit down to eat — sweet potatoes and corn from the chow line.

"We thank you for your service, we're proud of you, and America stands solidly behind you," he said during brief remarks delivered on a day when Americans count blessings. "You are defending the American people from danger and we are grateful."

Later, back aboard Air Force One for the flight home to Crawford, the president told reporters that he made his decision while thinking about how hard it must be for soldiers to spend the holiday far from home and family.

"It's got to be a lonely moment for them," Bush said. "I thought it was important to send that message that we care for them (the troops) and we support them strongly, that we erase any doubts in their minds as to whether or not the people stand with them. ... Having seen the reaction of those troops, you know it was the right thing to do."

With U.S. forces in Iraq the target of regular, deadly attacks, Bush has been heavily criticized for his policies, particularly from Democrats seeking to turn the issue into a political vulnerability for him in next year's presidential election.

More than five dozen U.S. troops were killed by hostile fire in November, more than any other month since the end of major combat in Iraq on May 1. Since operations began, nearly 300 U.S. service members have died of hostile action, including 183 since May 1.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=st...mi_ea/bush_iraq

Not being a war vet, never having seen an M-16 and still being a Democrat I'd have given a lot to have been there too. Those servicemen/women must have been ecstatic to see their Commander in Chief walk into that room. What an emotional time for all of them.

I think it was a wonderful thing for him to do. I bet the Secret service people were twitching for days afterward though. Can you imagine the security nightmare that must have been.