MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

?#3 food for thought

I would regret telling a family member who has disappointed me over and over again in the past that I am proud of him in so many ways, that he is such a blessing to me and makes me smile.

Why wait? I'm writing this person a letter today. This situation has bothered me and even though this loved one repeatedly makes bad choices...I will always love him very much and have hope that things will get better.

Thanks,Theyd, for these most interesting questions.

Nothing. I tell my children each time I see or talk to them that I love them. DH and I have discussed if either of us should die after an argument to not feel guilty. We know we love each other and if by accident or illness one would die after an argument it does not diminish the love we've felt for each other for over 37 years.

My parents are both gone. I miss them terribly but again we had no bad words or feelings so the only regret is that 2 of my favorite people are gone.

Such good questions theyd!

Not forgiving my father for being a vicious alcoholic, not fogiving my ex for stealing my kids and making me homeless for awhile, not communicating with my sister over this for the last 17 years, whew, alot of baggage but its ok. I've moved on. If Jesus can forgive me then I can forgive too. My dad is now deceased but I've forgiven in prayer. Dont know for sure where the ex is but in my heart I've forgiven. Now I need to call mysister soon and make peace with her. Karen

I'm with Dee and lkaren3.

Those who I can't talk to for whatever reason, I have forgiven in my heart. Sometimes, I have to practice forgiveness over and over until I can let it go. The ones I can talk to, I talk to them now. When amends are needed I make an effort to make them at the first opportunity as close in time to the occurrence of the situation as possible.

My daughter and I are estranged (she won't talk to me), so I have been writing memories and keeping them in a file on my computer so that when I die, at least there'll be some means and some chance of communicating to her the messages of love and family stories she is missing now.

A couple of years ago, I read a book One Year to Live which guides a person through an exercise where they pick a date a year away and live each day as if they are going to die on the day they picked. It reminded me of something I had learned in church as a child but had not really absorbed: I began to really understand that life is not a guaranteed proposition and that I might not even have the opportunity to draw my next breath. I saw how I was taking life and breath for granted. It changed the way I exist in this world.

All these thoughts are summed up in this one question that you have posted, theyd. Thanks again for a heads-up.

seldiesgirl

(((((SeldiesGirl))))))

I'm praying that your DD will not wait till your death to know how very much she means to you. Along with Karen, I think its a wonderful idea for any of us to journal our memories and pass them on to our loved ones. What a dear and precious gift!