MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Learn to make candles

I love making candles, we save all our ends that don't melt. Some of the larger 3 wick ones can leave so much that doesn't get used. By Christmas time, we have several to melt down and put into jars to give away for gifts. We experiment with scents and use crayons to deepen or change the color. Thanks for the link, Snow...I can always learn new ways to make candles.

Jenna, check out, examine, look at, observe, visit, set yer eyes on all the fun things you can find in these places:

http://www.candle-making-superstore.com/ (link no longer valid)

http://www.discountcandleshop.com/

I'm with the others... if you can, get your candle wax from old candles and remelt them into new ones. Some people buy candles & containers at garage sales & create nice candles from small canning jars, goblets, etc. Sometimes you can reuse the unused part of the wicks, too.

I remember making sand-cast candles as a teen. We made them again for Vacation Bible School last year! FUN!

And we made ice candles... put an old taper into a paper quart milk container, hold it straight while you fill around it with broken ice cubes, pour prepared wax gently over the ice to fill up the container. Allow it to harden, then tear off the paper outsides over a sink, drain well (sometimes a pin is needed to free leftover water). It creates a lacy effect when it burns. (If water is left in it, it can put out the candle & make a watery mess! LOL)

• 1 year later...

Boy am I glad that I read this post! I was cleaning through things and getting ready for a yard sale. I pulled out tons of candles that we weren't going to use...the taper kind! I prefer using the kinds with jars that are safer to burn, etc....DUH I can melt these taper kind into jars and make candles! What was I thinking...I almost threw out a great treasure!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Help! I have a bunch of old candles including some long thin ones. I have a dozen ornamental small glass jars from a coffee special offer (buy 6 get 6 free). Can't I just place 3 or 4 tall thin candles in a jar and microwave them?

On the keyboard of life - always keep one finger on the escape key

Quote:
Help! I have a bunch of old candles including some long thin ones. I have a dozen ornamental small glass jars from a coffee special offer (buy 6 get 6 free). Can't I just place 3 or 4 tall thin candles in a jar and microwave them?

FWIW, I made candles in the 80's, the ice cube in a milk carton kind. Of course, as a child my mom helped us make candles using our broken crayons, but she did the hot stuff.

I was wondering how you would regulate how much wax goes in each jar to the right level if you just randomly stick candles in and 'nuke' (microwave) them. I would think melting them in a container in a water bath and then pouring the correct amount would be better. Also, here in California there have been warnings about wicks with little metal strands in them. I would think that microwaving might burn them, so you should check for that first. My 2 pennies worth.

OK Amber, I followed your advice on the water bath. I heated a pan of water, put a baked beans tin with 3 candles into it and waited (for what seemed a week). Then I poured the whole melted mess into the glass jar to about a third full. Then I spent the next hour fishing up the wicks and making a mess inside the jars. Now I ended up with 2 wicks showing above the wax, so tommorrow when it's all hardened, I'll light them and see if the heat will clean up the inside of the jar. Not a very successful start to this project.

Yes, what Lois said.

I can think of several ways to clean the sides of your jars. Depends on what they are made of, glass or pottery? 1) Basically heat will melt it down, so maybe a hot water bath (up to the opening, but not into) till the wax melts down, then let the whole thing harden again. 2) place in a warm to medium oven in a baking pan till it melts down and let cool to harden again. I have not tried a microwave, but you might try very short settings and rotate the jars till you see a satisfactory result, then cool.

FWIW, I was used to making candles from old candle bits, parafin (bought in blocks) and coloring with old crayons. I see there is new stuff and a whole hobby science to it apparently--new formulas and color buttons. What I saw on a TV hobby show here, was that the water bath is important: direct heating of parafin can cause flare ups, the same as heating liquor vapor will flame up. Sorry it took a week to melt. Hint: They shaved the candles and parafin into smaller bits to allow for more surface for melting quickly.

Second thing, is the wicks. If you use prepared wicks, as per Lois, you can just attach them to a little metal base and do the tie to a pencil or skewer thing. If not prepared, then you need to prepare them first, if memory serves, by dipping them into the melted wax and letting the wax soak in and remove them and let them lay straight on cellophane wrap to dry/harden or hang with a weight over newspaper and cut to length. Then they can be put into the mold and wax poured over as per Lois' instructions or hold them straight up between two pencils laid across the mold, just make them long enough to stick up between the pencils.

I would think you can find instructions in on-line places like about. com or askjeeves. com or there may be books in your local library. Are there instructions in the archives of MrsSurvival? I have not looked yet.

You have had a practical lesson, learned from it, and now you know what 'not' to do next time. Refine your method and you will have success. Good luck.

Hmmmm, a couple of thoughts here.

Candles that burn near the edges of a chunky candle can cause leaks and candle wax to run down and all over if not contained.

Several wicks in 3-inch diameter jar??? Would the flames be near the edge of the jar and cause the glass to heat and possibly break?

Would a thicker wick make more light than three regular wicks? Would it burn better, more efficiently?

Either research needs to be done, or someone with a lot more experience in candle making should join in and give us the benefit of their knowledge.

I'd have to experiment as I do not know the further answers to your questions. However, I am not into candles or live flames at this point as we have two very large dogs whose tail wags knock everything off the coffee table and end tables when they are nearby.

I bow to anyone more experienced and encourage their input.

Quote:
OK Amber, I followed your advice on the water bath. I heated a pan of water, put a baked beans tin with 3 candles into it and waited (for what seemed a week). Then I poured the whole melted mess into the glass jar to about a third full. Then I spent the next hour fishing up the wicks and making a mess inside the jars. Now I ended up with 2 wicks showing above the wax, so tommorrow when it's all hardened, I'll light them and see if the heat will clean up the inside of the jar. Not a very successful start to this project.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to laugh but you are just TOO CUTE!

rofl
  • 5 months later...

hi, i use old food cans cleaned up to make my candles in im taking hemp twine for wicking, i usually pour just a littl wax in the bottom of the can to stick the twine to let that cool then pour the rest in, just wrap the top of the twine around a pencil across the topbut a nut or something will work fine to hold down the wick while you pour, predip your wick and let it dry stiff ans straight while your wax is melting the rest of the way. this way the wick is cheap, the container is free and recycled and all those old candles work great.

• 3 months later...