MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Learn to Quilt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I have been wanting to teach myself and have been buying books, you know building up to it, and I purchased the cutest book the other day it's called "The Cat's Meow" Purr-fectb quilts for cat lovers by Janet Kime.

Also if you love cats The Bad Cat page a day calander is funny as well as a classic called Cat High(a high school yearbook composed of cats). It's from 1988, but still just cute and funny.

• 4 months later...

kaseyb, that is beautiful. I love the design. How large are your squares?

I haven't made one yet, and am still getting squares from the friendship exchange. I'm kinda nervous about how to put it together. I have been searching different sites on how to make quilts, or the tops, and bought 4 magazines on quilting to get the feel of this new adventure. The hardest part is trying to sit still enough to figure how much more material is needed around and through and edged to make the size I *think* I want. I'm still fiddling with that. I was going to back it with fleece, but by the time I get this thing going, it may be spring-going-on-summer and I think that flannel would be better. I will be shopping for flannel this weekend, and hopefully I can find what I want colorwise.

Thanks again for posting the picture! Very Good inspiration for me, that is for sure. You rate a Blue Ribbon!

• 10 months later...

my mother started teaching me to quilt when i was around two. i would work the foot petal on the sewing machine. and watch her sew. when i got older she taught me how to put toghther. now i am trying to do one all by melself. i hope i do not screw up. good luck. with yours

• 1 month later...

I am collecting clothing and nightgowns from my sisters which were my mothers who recently passed away and I am wanting to make a memory quilt with them. Should I do lap quilts? I want to make one for my 5 siblings to remember her by. They are going to be various fabrics and color combinations. I could use some suggestions from all you expert quilters. Be gentle as this will be my very first quilting experience but I am so willing to learn!

Thank You!

Selah

If you want them used, washed, etc. (huggable) then make them lap quilts. If you want memory for show, then do wall hanging, as they don't have to be as large. Just showcase the materials you want towards the center and border them with something in a pattern or color that may have been your mom's favorite. If you do a wall hanging, you can adorn it with pieces of bracelets, parts of earrings, buttons, lace, or whatever was your mom's that would not normally be on a 'working' quilt.

Do make a label to put on the back that tells what it is for, who for, and who made it. It becomes part of the history and makes it family heirloom quality. You can use a plain piece of cotton material, write in dark pen and heat set it (iron it) so it won't wash out, or embroider the information if you'd like.

My friend took some of her grandmom's crochet pieces, arranged them with one of her grandmom's crochet hooks in a kind of window box frame with a colored background mat; and it is very lovely on the wall of her living room. It is the kind of frame that you can put items in and won't crush because it is a 1" deep frame with glass front allowing dimensional things to be in there. I don't know what to call it correctly.

Just an idea.

Thank you Amber that is a fantastic idea. I think your referring to Shadow boxes. Now my delemna is trying to figure out what to do for whom. I think I will email each one and ask what they would like to have. That might make my decisions easier. I will let you know what I decide to do and I will post pictures so bear with me cuz I am not a quick do-it-yourselfer when it comes to homemade things lol.

Selah

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Hey all I am back, sorry I was away so long. Alot has happened but I wont bore you with it all. I have a question about quilting and thank you westie for the links they are helpful.

Ok I am trying to find patterns for Octagon Corners Quilts. Anyone aware of these or have an ideas? I saw a completed quilt on a website i was at and i am intrigued.

Selah

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...