MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Banana Cream Pie

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

There's nothing more invigorating than taking a Saturday morning and gathering some bananas.

Here in Saipan it's quite a chore. First, we put on our hiking boots and climb down through the boonies, looking for those little yellow hanging nuggets. When we find a ripening bunch on the tree, we spend the next few minutes climbing the tree, with a rope and machete in our backpack.

When in position, we tie the rope onto the bunch of bananas and cut the stem with the machete. We carefully lower the bananas into the awaiting arms of our helpers.

Then we place the heavy banana bunch on a long pole, and two people carefully carry it back up through the boonies to our bungalow. Our treat for the vigorous morning exercise is a piece of banana pie.

Banana Cream Pie

Ingredients:

3/4 cup white sugar

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups milk

3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten

2 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 - 9 inch inch baked pie shell

3 - 4 ripe bananas

Directions:

In a medium saucepan, pour the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Continuously stir and cook over medium heat, until the mixture starts to boil. Continue to stir, cooking for 2 additional minutes. Quickly remove from the stove.

Using a wooden spoon, stir a small quantity of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, and immediately add egg yolk mixture to the rest of the hot mixture. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring briskly. After removing the mixture from the heat, quickly stir in the vanilla and butter until mixed in smooth.

Peel and thinly slice bananas into the baked and cooled pastry shell.

Top with pudding mixture and cover with a piece of plastic wrap until cool.

When completely chilled (at least 2 hours, preferably over night) top with whipped cream and serve.

*and of you believe all this, I've got a bridge to sell you* grin.gif

------------------

homest.jpg

Guest Guest

**Cat swats Homey on the arm...**

I was gonna say... you *can't* climb a banana tree like that! rolleyes.gif

When I was in Brazil, I learned that they are so soft that you could stick a knife into the trunk. They're basically a folded bunch of leaves.

Anyway, thanks for the recipe!! smile.gif

(This will go nicely with the coconut cream pie you posted in Darlene's thread!!)

------------------

cat.jpg

[This message has been edited by Cat (edited August 01, 2002).]

Guest Guest

OH GIVE ME A BREAK...SWAT's homey...

I have a dozen banana trees in my back yard and about 6 stalks of bananas growing now.

All *I* do is take a kitchen knife out to my back yard, lift my arms up a little bit, cut the stalk and carry them inside...

You need to WAKE UP chica, you're having some WILD dreams...

LOL!

*darlene throws some rice at homey*

------------------

d5.jpg