MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cheap Health - Part 1

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Cheap Health Part 1

You can approach from either direction: you want to save money, or you want to be healthy. Or both. This is shooting from the hip: here is a simple, safe, cheap and effective plan for eradicating most sickness in our lifetime.

STEP 1: CHEAP, HEALTHY EATING

Follow an unauthorized but NEW AND IMPROVED "Four Food Groups":

Eat primarily GRAINS, LEGUMES (peas, beans, lentils), FRUITS and VEGETABLES.

Physicians for Responsible Medicine, along with pediatrician Dr. Benjamin Spock, support this near vegetarian diet, where all other foods (including meat and milk) are considered to be condiments for flavoring. Whole grains (wheat, oats, barley, rice, etc.) and legumes are CHEAP. They are LOW FAT. They are GOOD SOURCES OF FIBER. They are GOOD SOURCES OF VITAMINS AND MINERALS. They TASTE GOOD. They are EASY TO PREPARE. They will virtually put the food processing, pharmaceutical, and medical industries OUT OF BUSINESS. This diet will AUTOMATICALLY PROVIDE REAL HEALTH CARE REFORM FOR EVERYONE WITHOUT GOVERNMENT INTERFERENCE OR TAXATION. (After all, there is not [yet] a tax on lentils.)

Fruits and vegetables do all of the above as well. To save money on your vegetable bill, start a garden. A few yards of soil and a couple of dollars for seed produces more veggies than you can eat. The average gardener puts less than $40 into a vegetable garden. The average return is way over $500 in fresh produce.

The money you save in not buying meat, milk and medicines will buy a lot of fruit. Want to save even more? You do not have to live in a warm climate to grow fruit. Trust me: I live in upstate New York, right off of Lake Ontario. Just across the lake is Canada. To one side, Buffalo, NY. To the other side, Rochester and then Syracuse, NY. Does the word "cold" mean anything to you? When you hear the words "lake effect snow" or "blizzard," think of me. And even I grow my own fruit.

Homeowners, remember that fruit trees give food as well as shade and beauty. In the cooler climates, try apple, plum and cherry trees. You can buy specially tolerant fruit trees that will even grow in Montana or Maine. As a boy, I remember all the plums and cherries and apples that we got from nearly wild trees near our home (and occasionally, I confess, from neighbor's trees that hung over their fences.) I never once saw any of those trees get sprayed. You plant, you water, you wait, you get fruit. I've planted apple trees from seed and we now have a tree that produces well. Cost? Nothing. If a botanical moron such as myself can do this (I got a "C" in Plant Sciences 201, and was lucky at that), then you certainly can expect success. No excuses!

Apartment dwellers, it's your turn (and homeowners can still read, too.) "Fruit" does not necessarily mean "big trees, in a yard the size of Tara." Tomatoes are a fruit. So are green peppers and beans, cucumbers and zucchini. (A "fruit" is any seed-bearing structure that develops from a flower.) Tomato, bean, pepper and squash plants need very little space. If there is any spare corner, try to grow one of these really hardy food sources. If yard work is out of the question, try a window box. If that is impossible (and it rarely is), you can grow sprouted seeds and sprouted beans in jars by your kitchen sink. OK, so sprouts aren't fruits (although I have a German medical article describing sprouts as "grain fruits"). Still, the twin goals of cheap fresh food and good health food are fully met. Sprouted wheat, lentils, alfalfa and other sprouts are loaded with many fruit benefits, such as fiber, minerals, and vitamin C.

Taken from Doctor Yourself