MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Atkins weight loss doesn't last

Guest Guest

In defense of this diet or way of eating as I choose to call it....One can eat whole grains and fruits as healthy carbs. Being on the Atkins diet, you elimate white flours, starchy vegetables, sugar and processed foods...basically all the foods that nutritionally do your body no good! Atkins may not be for all, but it does help many to achieve good health.

I have been doing this way of life since May and have lost over 30 pounds and have never been more healthier! I have thyroid disease and this diet combined with the meds I take daily has benefitted me greatly. Where I once ate bagels and donuts, I am now eating lean protein and a variety of fresh vegetables. Many I know have lost over 100 pounds and years later are still maintaining this weightloss and sustaining a healthy way of life.

The following link has many facts and results of low-carb living:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/

My DH and I have been on Atkins for almost a year now. He lost 45 pounds, lowered his cholesterol, lowered his blood sugar (he was borderline diabetic) and feels so much more energy. I lost over 60 pounds and although my cholesterol went back up a bit, it DID go down, I am off my stomach medication and feel good (except for senior aches and pains of course!) We do go off the diet once in awhile but get right back on and don't really feel deprived at any time. We eat "good carbs" - brown rice, popcorn etc. and just watch our portions etc. Incidentally although we do eat Bacon and Sausage, we are sure to buy lean meats for dinners and so on. It really is a good program

I have met people who are on that diet and are doing really good and some who didn't do good at all.

As for myself I don't and wont go on any diet but my grandmothers. Her's is eat every day at least three meals a day. have furit, a leafy green, and some kind of dairy evryday. get some exersice and get yourself outside. and drink lots of water. For the dinner table she always had two kinds of vegtable, and a salad. and she was never over weight nor any of her kids. of that family i am the weighty one at 145# at 5'6". maybe if i would leave those sheesecakes and chocolate alone.

There are different kinds of low-carb diets. I know when I asked my dr. about it, he said that I should not be on it for more than 3 months. Then go off it for a while and then I could get back on for another 3 months. So in a years time, I would be on it for 6 months.

I haven't been on any diet now for a while. I just haven't gotten myself where I can do it. You know, one has to 'get in the mood', for this too. Or have to be determined.

At the diabetes education classes I went to last year they said low carb/Atkins is not a recommended for diabetics because of the possibility of damaging the kidneys. I believe they were referring to Atkins. I understand South Beach allows more vegetables and fruit. Weight Watchers just came out with The Core plan which you can opt for (other plan is Flex Points)and at least some members seem to be having good success with it - including some who are diabetic. I believe the difference from other diets is you can have nonfat dairy products, lean meats, whole grains. If you eat something else (like a hamburger on a bun) then it is counted in a weekly allotment of flex points.

I am in this crazy mode where I started walking in late July (usually doing 2 miles most days now) and I'm barely losing weight so I may try Core if I get my doctors approval next month. I wonder if people on The Core will find they are not losing as well after a year.