MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do for Anxiety?

angelbaby0930

Anybody have an idea what I can do for anxiety?

I have been to the doc and had a chest x-ray and bloodwork done -- no I don't know what's wrong -- and now I must wait 9 days until my next doc appointment [the 27th], to find out the results.

I have some lavender scent that I spray in my sheets, that helps to relax me some at night, but what can I do during the day? My sweetie is allergic to most scents [he has to sleep in a recliner at night, so is not exposed to the lavender-scented sheets].

Maybe something warm and soothing to drink? I need to switch from coffee at least part of the time anyway. I get too much caffeine already, and that can't help the jangling either. But I don't like drinks that are too sweet, like hot choc.

I love music... maybe some ideas about calming music, if you have any.

I know this is not the forum for it, but any good Bible verses or Momilies I could print out and put up around my kitchen might be good too.

Any help *much* appreciated!

Alie Jo

PS: My sister's into Tarot, and she says my card is The Fool, which means a new beginning or a change in direction. And after I stopped giggling about it, I realized it could very well be true...

Cat is right about music, I can change my mood just by listening to "Boots" on his sax, or a favorite happy or funny song, I love country gospel. Keep your mind on other things, positive things. Always remember there is a lot in this life to celebrate.

Chamommile is good, if it doesn't help oatstraw will. I use St johns wort tea for relaxing in the evening before going to bed. Most herb stores have all of them in the leaf form for tea. Just steep a teaspoon in boiled water for 6 min strain and drink. For a really good flavor add a small amount (1/4 tsp) of peppemint and 1/2 tsp of catnip to the st Johns wort.

what i do if i feel an anxiety attack coming on, is to go sit in a nice hot bubble bath, in absolute silence, eyes closed, just take in the peacefulness, this really helps calm me down, and calm my nerves, sometimes i will light a candle, and turn off the lights while in the tub and sneak me in a glass of wine if things are really tough.this is the only time i touch alcohol. i might have 3 alcoholic drinks in one years time.... oh yes, make sure you lock the bathroom door. and turn off the phone, and make sure dh knows that he is to tend to the kids, that you are having some down time all to your self......

Alie Jo,

My sister had anxiety attacks, and one of the things she was told to get rid of them was to find the TRUE source of what was causing her the anxiety. I don't remember the particulars of when she would have her attacks, but the true source was her abusive ex. It took a lot of soul searching to find the true source, and that usually isn't very easy. Once she could deal with the true source (it boiled down to making her most damaged part of her heart believe she was actually safe), the anxiety attacks went away-but it certainly didn't happen overnight.

Since your DH is so sensitive to scents, perhaps try putting a tissue with lavender EO underneath your pillow case. It may be easier for him to return to bed.

These ladies have made excellent suggestions, and I don't have more. I just wanted to say to remember that we love you more than we could ever tell you, and please come to talk if you need to.

I have had these and they are not fun at all. I never had them until after I had the pace maker put in. I was afraid to be alone any time in a store. I wouldn't go without DH and I didn't want him out of my sight. I am a lot better but do have times when I feel this way. It is NOT fun at all.

If I have them I get back to DH if I can, as fast as I can. Then I end up with a head ache for some reason.

The tea is beneficial almost immediatly while the tablets or pill form are slower and I believe less effective, possibly since it is not the whole balanced herb. You see I believe that herbs are best for us in their natural state, not with a specified amout of which ever constituent man decides is what works. That is just my opinion. But the fact is the tea is much faster.

Lois, I researched St. John's Wort at some time.

Am I remembering correctly - doesn't it take about a month for the good effects to build up in the body enough to help?

Or is that just the pill or capsule form?

Cat, if you have a chemical imbalance it would take several weeks to be effective, but for relaxation the tea is effective in minutes. I use it for relaxation, often we are just so bone weary that we just need to relax and allow our bodies to rest. Also the tablets are mostly all changed by the processing and balancing the constituents to suit the producer.

Alie Jo,

What I have done during high allergy season, or when I have a cold, is to put whatever EO I'm using on cotton balls, and then put them in a freezer baggie so I can keep it in my purse and then inhale as needed. The cotton balls seem to last longer than the tissues. The EO will degrade plastic, so the freezer bags last longer than regular sandwich baggies.

Also...I was watching this show a few weekends ago about this mom in Arkansas that has FIFTEEN children. Phew!

Anyway, what she had done with each of her children is to put a schedule up on the wall, with each individual time block in the day with a sticky note that said what they'd be working on that day. The sticky ntoes could be moved around to reprioritize if something didn't get done the day before. When they first showed it, I was overwhelmed, but something that the mom said was "We hardly EVER finish everything on the schedule, but it's a goal." That explains the sticky notes, instead of something written more permanently. Doing it that way, she can reprioritize as needed, and still feel more organized about getting things done. Sometimes the hardest part is telling yourself "It's OK that I didn't get everything done today."

That is something that I have a really hard time dealing with personally. Having a more flexible system would free me up emotionally-because I would see the ways that it could be moved around and changed on a given day. There are things that come up that you just can't anticipate, or put off for another day.

The reality of it is, when you're taking care of someone, be that children, or adults that can't take care of it all themselves, you simply cannot do it all, my dear. and it's OK to ask for some help. It's OK to have more drive thru dinners than usual, or more tv dinners. It's OK that not all the socks are clean. It's OK that you didn't get the dishes done after dinner (I personally, have not gotten all the dishes done after dinner in about 6 years-my youngest son is 5 1/2 LOL). Tell yourself that these things are OK. (And here's my biggest one, when most overwhelmed: ITS OK TO USE PAPER PLATES!)

Celebrate each thing that you DO get done. Hey! I made the bed today and I didn't have time to get to it all week! Now I can take that bubblebath and not sit there the whole time making a list in my head of all the stuff that didn't get done!

Look in to, or ask a friend to look in to, whether your husbands particular situation qualifies you for any type of in home help. It may be covered by insurance. Something as little as a visiting nurse for a few hours a week would free you up to take care of something else or relax.

Talk to someone about your church about getting some help there-having someone help for laundry or provide a few casseroles for the freezer would do wonders for "taking care of" things. Maybe one of your neighbors can lend you a teenager for a few hours a week-heck, I've got two of those I'd send you if you were closer!

Most of all, do what you're doing. Let those scary things out of the dark closet, keep talking about it, and keep coming back here when you need it.

Here's to make sure you feel hugged some today!

Much love,

Mommy of 5

I do make lists, and some of them work out, while others just overwhelm me. Maybe what I need to do is write *about* the activities, so as to see what priority to properly give them. Hmm....

I tend to -- like the MrsS ladies -- "journal" in my notes to others. My family and friends, my extended [gen] cousins and even my sweetie's family.

I may try some brainstorming tonight [write for a certain number of minutes without lifting pen from paper, it can bring out what's really on your mind], that might help.

Thanks, Ginger!

Alie Jo

Oh darlin, it WILL take you awhile to get used to taking help AND to some things being OK. I STILL hate laundry being on the floor in the laundry room and the floor not being vacuumed, but I'm getting better with some things.

Most of the people that come in to my house, know that I work full time, have a husband that works two jobs, and have kids to take care of. They are usually in a somewhat similar situation, and don't mind a bit of messy-ness. Those that would care, I don't particularly worry about-they probably won't be here for long! I remember once a Jehovah's witness came to the door fairly early one summer morning. We'd had a cool start to the day, so I'd mixed up several batches of muffins to bake before it got hot, the kids weren't dressed yet, and I hadn't showered yet. I was covered in flour and my hair was icky. As we were discussing he (rudely, I thought) brought up the cleanliness being next to Godliness issue. While I've never been keen on Jehovah's Witnesses, I've always been polite, listened, and thanked them for their time. On that day I told them to leave and to make sure not to come back, LOL. They have NO idea what my life is like, and it's not theirs to pass judgement. We don't always live like that, but they had no idea (and didn't want to take the time to learn), so I politely told them to leave.

Those that know you understand your difficulties, and won't mind if there's dishes in the sink (or in the sink, on the counter, on the stove, and on the table LOL). Those that do mind such things either don't know you, don't care about you, or don't care to know you. Their loss.

Of course, the hardest part is getting to the point where YOU don't mind those things! Letting go is always the hardest part, and you'll do it when you're darn good and ready! In the meantime, come back here for your daily hugs!

Just to Update Everyone:

It will be a bit longer than I thought, before I get the News. My doctor didn't work in the clinic today. So I won't find out my results until tomorrow afternoon. Fortunately they called the house to reschedule this morning -- my sweetie took the call while I was at work -- so we didn't have to make the trek down there, only to be turned away.

Piffle!

My relatives, my Church people, my gen contacts, *my sweetie's* gen contacts, his friend [since high school], many of you here, and a couple of my blog-Friends too.

I am hangin' in there, and I appreciate it all so much!

Frazzle-Jo