MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Another flu shot shortage...

Guest Guest

so get yours VERY SOON if you depend on them!!!

http://content.health.msn.com/content/arti...02.htm?GT1=5370

Oct. 5, 2004 -- Expect flu vaccine shortages again this year. Manufacturing problems mean half the U.S. flu vaccine supply -- some 48 million doses -- won't arrive.

The U.S. gets nearly all its flu vaccine doses from two manufacturers, Chiron Corp. and Aventis Pasteur.

Last August, Chiron announced that manufacturing problems resulted in contamination of some early lots of its vaccine. Correcting these problems, they said, would delay vaccine delivery.

It now turns out that those problems were quite serious. The U.K. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) -- the U.K.'s counterpart to the U.S. FDA -- has found Chiron's manufacturing process unacceptable and has pulled Chiron's flu-vaccine export license for three months. Unless there's a rapid reversal of this action, this means all of the company's 48 million doses of flu vaccine will be destroyed.

(continued at site)

I'm thankful that I got my flu shot on Monday! There was nobody ahead of me at my doctor's office, so I didn't have to wait long... I'll bet the lines have lengthened since this news has come out. I probably wouldn't have had trouble getting the shot later... they say that the old should get them first... and I guess I qualify!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Snowmom, I'm sure that I'm a L O T older than you!!! I'm older than dirt!!! No, I got mine the day before they started limiting them so my doctor didn't have to say it was alright... thank goodness! I heard a funny one today... Senator Kerry said "When I become President, there won't be a flu vaccine shortage."