MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

When the shots are gone... what will you do?

Well, the last of the flu shots hit my town a week ago, anyone who didn't make it into the line is outta luck for a while. The folks decided against getting theirs, and I'm allergic (fun fun) so I was wondering. Other then wash your hands continually... staying away from small germ-ridden children (can you tell I'm not yet a mom?

I'm a bit puzzled about the flu shots because it's always been my understanding that this year's flu will be slightly different from whatever came before.

I read a little blurb in the newspaper that said "cough or sneeze into your elbow" instead of your hand and then touching doorknobs, etc.

I'm getting a lot of exercise, eating healthy foods and take some supplements. I'll wash my hands a lot. Basically since I'm not working I feel more protected. The last two years working at Job Corps with 500 plus kids coming down with sicknesses and coming up to the clinic and hanging their heads in the window of my office to cough and hack without that.

When all the shots are gone, what will I do? I'll just have to drive back down to the liquor store...

Seriously, I've been in EMS for almost 5 years now, and I've been up-close and personal with some *very* sick patients, I've never yet caucht so much as a sniffle from one. I've also never taken an influenza shot.

If you're in generally good health, are active, and eat a pretty sensible diet, and you're not in one of the high-risk populations (...and you're not off licking other people's hands after they cough...) you will probably miss the flu season. That's not to say that you won't get sick... you well may. And what most people think of as the flu is actually a whole cocophony of different bugs you pick up.

Influenza is a pretty nasty bug, and will knock you silly for two weeks or more. If you pick up a book on communicable diseases or disorders, you'll notice that 60-80% of the maladies they have in there present with "flu like symptoms" Which is to say having; fever, nausea, headache/bodyaches, lethargy, general feeling of unwellness. Well folks that covers everything from chicken pox to the initial stages of Ebola infection and all manner of little nasties in-between.

Reality, the best thing you can do to avoid flu-season colds is to keep yourself healthy.

Trim off the extra weight(you'll feel better, and you'll feel better about yourself).

Get plenty of sleep - 8 hours nightly is ideal, but however much you can manage.

Eat sensibly, (I'm a big eater, okay... I scoff at the 2500kCal diets, I'm well above that, but I am a very active guy, chasing four daughters around.... you do the math)I mean, don't pig out on any one item, and make sure you're eating a fairly balanced diet, vitamins and minerals do help a lot, which you'll already be getting from the balanced diet. Extra vitamin C is a good thing too. Have an orange, strawberries, cantaloupe, or my favorite- red chilli peppers! (sorry, gals, there's no Vitamin C in bonbons... I had to check)

Laugh and Love each day...

Just be sensible and live fully...

Be well

Dad

Last year, we got caught in asia during the SARS outbreak. When we finally got to the Japan airport, we had our temperatures taken before entry into the main airport. What a reality check.