MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Lose to Win

logcabinmama

Well I haven't lost yet. But I still have good news. About 3 months ago my Dr. put me on a new med. She told me it would probably cause me to gain a few pounds. I got weighed on my "official scale" Friday afternoon. It was my first weigh in since I started taking the med. I was the exact same weight. For a minute I was irritated at not loosing..then I remembered about the pills so I was happy not to have gained any. I am still being very good..Maybe next time that big ugly needle will actually move to the left!

That's great, Spider! It certainly does count - just think of four cubes of butter being removed from wherever you want to lose it from.

I am starting to use an exchange system today. I have these trackers for the week that includes whether I exercised or not and five things I am thankful for today.

Jan

Although I have been watching what I eat a little closer I have not been on a real diet for about 2 years. Today I was looking at an old calendar and noticed that on this day in 2004 I weighed 24 pounds more than I do now. I am so glad. Maybe if I put my mind to it I could lose more than that this year!

Ok, girls I'm in with ya here!!!! I started yesterday with a new diet and exercise regimen....Here is what I am doing,, I get at 6:00 am and take an Estrin D tablet (calls for 2, I only take 1)..with a 1 pint of water... then at 7:30 am I eat breakfast..I have 1/2 cup of red grapefruit, and a bowl of Kelloggs smart start antioxidant or heart healthy cereal with skim milk..and 1pint of water..around 10:30 am I have a cup of hot green tea, with splenda and lemon, and 1 piece of fruit.For lunch I have a slimfast shake and a bottle of water, or some fresh raw vegetables with a fat free dressing...then for dinner I have a very sensible meal with 1 pint of water,and allow myself 1 diet soft drink. I am doing my regular daily activities and doing 45 minutes on a recumbent bike...

Needless to say after not really participating in hard exercise for several years, this morning I am officially bowlegged, but do feel quite a bit better than I have in several weeks... Just yesterday alone(being the first day on this I lost 5 pounds of water)...

For those who aren't familiar with ESTRIN D, It is the first and only diet pill specifically designed for menopausal and perimenopausal women...

It raises your resting metabolic rate, boosts energy,and increases stamina, reduces, diet fatique....

I have read up on this in several magazines and then checked the web on it.. It has had more good reviews than bad... People are mostly complaining of headaches and shakiness from it.. Which of course they are probably downing a 6 pack of cokes a day with it.. You cannot use a lot of caffeine products with this...I am very sensitive to most things like this, I didn't have any problems with taking the estrin d yesterday..

Along with this, I have cut out a lot of fat, Just all around eating better, I have been doing this for several weeks now,just cooking lighter and smaller meals... It has gotten to where sweets just don't appeal to me that much lately... I even turned down getting that yearly box of valentine chocolates yesterday...

I intend to follow this through, I have too I invested $28 in the estrin D tablets.

Good luck everyone, and will check in, in a couple of days..

BTW, if you haven't tried the smart start cereals by kelloggs do so they are delicious...

Well I weighed in this morning, I have lost 7 pounds in 4 days... Mostly fluid.... but I feel so much better....also have hubby on (not a diet, diet) he doesn't need to lose weight, he needs to lower cholesterol and blood pressure diet... also went and got him a mens multi vitamin for healthy heart and prostate... and I stood over him this morning and made him take the vitamins... he knows Mama Is serious......

Wow!! You guys should all be proud of yourselves!!! I too, decided that I would like to lose some weight this year. I ahve been deeping a food diary and watching what I eat. Especially during the day, like breakfast and lunch, instead of just drinking coffee. For excercise I have been walking to church and back twice a week on tuesdays and thursdays, it is just over a mile each way. I even get in some resistance just pushing the little ones up the hill on the way home. They are becoming my most two favorite days of the week, I feel really enerigzed when I get back home after walking. I know what I weighed the last time I went to the doctor, however I have don't own a scale so I won't be weighing in every week, but I will let you know how the excercise and healthier eating is going. Snowmom - We don't eat all that much fish either. My food budget is pretty tight and for me right now fish is just too expensive. I am going to start by buying more fresh fruits and veggies and maybe introducing vegetarian dinners or instead of meat, we have beans. I don't know.

Good Luck and keep up all the good work ladies!!!

Love, MOM

Speaking of menus, at www.brandnewyou.com through general mills, there are menus and a diet plan there using alot of the products we are used to using everyday already. Like cheerios for breakfast, yogurt for snacks and dinner is ranges from chicken, to carmalized pork slices to hamburger helper(the old stand by). They are easy to follow. And its easy to swith out your own recipes. MOM

On the meat, I watch for the store sales, Like chuck roasts, buy one get one free,,, and I refuse to pay over $2.00 lb for it... I will buy several at a time,, some I cut up into stew meat, or steak, or beef tips, and I even put it in the meat grinder and make my own ground chuck.. Then on chicken, I watch those sales too, and buy a lot of the whole chickens, I boil them down and shred the meat, and I usually have enough to make 2 meals for the 5 of us off of one whole chicken (except when I do rotisserie), then they act like hogs and eat it all...LOL.. My family doesn't do much fish at all, from time to time we might do long johns or captain d's. Now crab and shrimp is a hit with my hubby and oldest son, but the rest of us just don't do that much seafood..

To make that meat stretch farther, do casseroles....it is really a budget stretcher....

Unike - I hear you about buying whole chickens..I do the same thing. I can usually put away some turkey too. Around St. Patty's Day I like to buy a few extra corned beef briskets..who says you have to eat it just once a year? My guys love it...I have some old better homes and gardens cookbook that has pictures in the back for making a chuck roast, shoulder ham and chicken go farther just on how you cut them up. I use it alot just for a reference. Talk to you all later. Have a great day!! I'll be thinking of ya as I excercise today!! MOM

Ok, girls,I have weighed in.. For a total loss of 10 pounds ( I started this on the 10th and today is the 20th). Had my blood pressure checked, it has gone from 145/95 down to 130/83. So all the careful eating and exercising in payin off... I have also completely cut out caffeine...except for my one cup of green tea per day.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok weighed in for a total loss of 12lbs,now....I feel a lot better, just really sore.. I started out riding the exercise bike for 45 minutes a day,but am now riding the bike for 15 minutes a day, and then added aerobic exercises to this.. still 45 minutes a day 5 days a week....

I start every morning out with 1 pint of water, and a multi vitamin,along with 1 estrin D tablet.. I wait 30 minutes, then eat a breakfast of Kelloggs smart starts healthy heart cereal, with 1/2 of a red grapefruit, and a medium apple....

I drink about 7 pints of water a day, and at the start of each meal I eat 1 medium apple....the weight loss is slow, but the benefits is really stacking up in my favor... I am feeling a lot better about myself.. I am actually getting up in the mornings and putting makeup on.. It has been years since I have done that!!!!

I have also switched to using smart balance, cooking oil along with olive oil, and also the smart balance margarine...I have also had hubby on this.. he is already able to tell the difference in how he feels..

I have him taking (1)one aday mens health prostate multi vitamin, 2 saw palmetto tablets, and 1 vitamin B-12 tablet per day.. He has always had a smokers cough,, and bad sinus problems... the saw palmetto has really just about stopped the cough... and his skin looks better.... he doesn't look as wore down as before and he sleeps better...

I always knew saw palmetto was for prostate problems,, I never knew that it is excellent for menopause, and also for bronchitis, coughs, chest congestion,and asthma...

And I will swear by it from now on. If it can stop the awful cough he has had for 10 years, it must be good.....

Archived