MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

beef and penicillin

PlanoPa

After having a rough two weeks...got deathly ill from eating a rib eye steak and found out most beef is pumped full of antibiotics or their feed is...i was wondering if anyone else out there has ever run into this problem?? I love my steaks on the grill and i hate to give them up but being sooo allergic to penicillin i cant run the risk again of having that happen. If you have run across this, what did you do? How do you find out if the beef you are buying is okay?

that is so sad, sorry it happen. have you thought of or can you even raise your own?

we have been very blessed.. we raise one for our self and then after that was gone my ex-SIL gave us one of hers. we are almost out. and will have to buy again till we can get one to raise. the prices whoa!!! that's enough to go to just veggies.

or maybe there is a farmer near by who can sale you one of his? we have a couple around us that does.

We buy both beef and pork locally. This way we know what it was fed and how it was treated. We usually split it with a friend because a whole cow/pig is way too much for just us. This arrangement has worked out great for the past few years. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

I know it's expensive, but can you find brands like Laura's Lean Beef? They use no antibiotics or growth chemicals in their feed.

I'm a DES daughter. I was exposed to artificial estrogen (DES) "in utero". Until fairly recently the drug DES was used in animal feed to increase the growth rate (and shorten the time to market).

It's now banned in the US, but still sometimes turns up. It burns me up that I'm already affected by the in utero exposure, and now I have to worry about getting additional doses from the food I eat.

Archived