MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A CHATTANOOGA ICON PASSED AWAY TODAY,,

Judy Moist

MaryEllen Locher Remembered

Tanya Mendis

June 9,2005

MaryEllen touched many people's lives with the warm and personal way that she delivered the news each night, but it was her willingness to share her battle with cancer that truly made her unforgettable.

"MaryEllen loved people, loved life, had such a wonderful faith and encouragement to all of us," remembers Kathy Dittmar, Director of Breast Services at Memorial Health Care System. "She would say, be healthy, enjoy life, and take care of yourself."

MaryEllen's battle with cancer first began in 1987. She was diagnosed with Hodgkins. But she turned a negative into a positive. And through her faith in God and love for people, she became a pillar in the cancer community.

"MaryEllen has a huge heart, just a huge asset to this community and when she takes on a project, she takes it on and gives 500 percent effot," said Janet Kramer-Mai, breast cancer service coordinator at Erlanger Hospital.

While sitting in her doctor's office one day, MaryEllen decided to come up with a way to help women who had lost their hair to cancer. That's how Hats From the Heart was born. Thousands of crocheted hats later, she has warmed the heads and hearts of thousands of women in the area. Including three-time cancer survivor Emma Dean Castle.

"I can relate this story to me very closely because I've watched her as she was so brave," Castle said.

But MaryEllen didn't stop there. In 2002, she created the Children of Breast Cancer Foundation. The program has given 50 college scholarships to the children of cancer patients. But that kind of effort was typical for MaryEllen. She volunteered much of her time at Memorial Hospital to help and inspire breast cancer patients. So it was only fitting that Memorial Hospital pay tribute to the woman who gave so much. A year and a half ago, they created the MaryEllen Locher Breast Cancer Center. Phase one will open next month. And people who knew her well say there is no better legacy.

"For someone who did not know MaryEllen Locher," Kramer-Mai remembered as she choked back tears. "Just if anybody could have a quarter of the heart that she had or the passion that she had for whether it be breast cancer, being a mother, being a wife, being a friend; those are the things that I think she would like to be remembered for.

And MaryEllen put it best, herself, in an interview three years ago.

"You don't know how it will turn out. I don't know but I know that I have faith that whatever happens, it's going to be good. I have that peace."

I know most of you do not know who this lady is,, but I have watched her for many, many years on our local news,, practically grew up with her.. she has fought a courageous battle with cancer. She made a statement two days ago, announcing her retirement, so that she could spend time with her child and husband and family and friends... NO one knew how close to the end her life was. WE all awoke to the sad news that this wonderful person had passed on. Her friends and colleagues at WTVC9 news and WUSY101 radio, have had a rough time of it today, trying to stay professional and not show how deeply they are hurting. They had a rough time getting through the tribute and the broadcast. Alot of tears were shed on the this station tonight..As well as everywhere else in this city...

Thanks for letting me post this here,, she is a lady well deserving of every tribute and honor that is sent her way.. You will be deeply missed MEL.....

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of our friend and colleague MaryEllen Locher.

As many of you already know, MaryEllen had been battling cancer for quite some time now.

For 20 years, Mel shared her infectious smile, charisma and professionalism with the NewsChannel 9 family and you.

MaryEllen passed at her home Thursday (June 9, 2005) at the age of 45... surrounded by her family.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to her husband David and son Alex.

MaryEllen’s death comes just two days after the announcement of her retirement from WTVC NewsChannel 9 after almost 20 years as reporter, then anchor-reporter.

As we at NewsChannel 9 suffer over this announcement, our thoughts and prayers are centered on David, Alex and the rest of MaryEllen’s family. We know our viewers will understand how difficult it will be maintaining our professionalism while presenting the day’s news,” said news director Tom Henderson.

“Today is a sad day. The NewsChannel 9 family has lost a loved associate and the Tennessee Valley has lost a true icon and good person. We have to remember that David and Alex have said goodbye to a loving wife and mother. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and all of MaryEllen’s family and close friends.” said Mike Costa, WTVC Vice President and General Manager.

During her career at NewsChannel 9, the station benefited greatly from her hard work and success. MaryEllen won awards for Best Newscast, Best News Team, and Best News Series Reporter by the Tennessee Associated Press. Viewers responded by keeping NewsChannel 9’s newscasts top rated.

MaryEllen has battled cancer since its first occurrence sixteen years ago. Her personal experiences with the disease have influenced her civic commitments. She founded the not for profit Hats from the Heart program, giving free hats to cancer patients onsite at cancer treatment centers. MaryEllen also founded Children of Breast Cancer Foundation (link below). This non-profit organization provides endowment money to public colleges and universities for children who have lost a mother to breast cancer.

MaryEllen most recently was honored by Memorial Hospital with the naming of their Breast Cancer Center as The MaryEllen Locher Breast Center at Memorial. The goal of the center, according to Memorial Hospital, is to streamline the patient’s experience with the best care possible as expeditiously as possible. It will combine the latest in technological and clinical advances with an emphasis on the whole person - body, mind and spirit. Construction of the center is set to begin no later than July 2006.

Service information for MaryEllen Locher:

Friends and family will gather Saturday, June 11th between 4 and 8 p.m. at Heritage Funeral Home, 7454 East Brainerd Road.

The Celebration Service for MaryEllen's life is 3 p.m. Sunday, June 12th at Hixson United Methodist Church, 5301 Old Hixson Pike.

Hixson United Methodist Church has made the following arrangements for those wishing to remember and honor MaryEllen by attending her services:

-- Parking will be available at all church lots, as well as Hixson Middle School and Hixson ballfields. Shuttle transportation will be provided to and from the church.

-- Child care will be available in the church nursery.

-- If the church sanctuary is filled, overflow seating will be available, with a live a video feed, in the Christian Life Center.

MaryEllen's family requests in lieu of flowers memorial contributions be sent to:

MaryEllen Locher Memorial Fund

P.O. Box 4032

Chattanooga, TN 37405

MaryEllen’s family requests respect for their privacy at this difficult hour.

Archived