MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Looking for a house dog

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

We've always had outside dogs. DH and I are thinking about an inside dog now that he's retired and can spend the time training him/her.

We've searched and read until we're blue in the face and still don't know what we want. Any suggestions? I do know I can't handle a yappy dog. I think I would go mad with a dog in the house that barks constantly. I'm sure there are way to train them not to do that but I also wonder if some are less apt to be yappy. Short hair would be best and not huge......although is there anything cuter than an English Sheep Dog? We're thinking about adopting one from the humane society so if you know of mixes you like that's a good idea too.

I've always been a cat person myself but do like dogs and hubby loves them.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

An especially smart dog is an Australian Shepard. That is the kind I want when we have the right space and time for one. They can alert you before siezers or other health problems are about to occur. You should look online about them if you are not familiar.

Guest Guest

I owned an English springer spaniel and I agree. Once you have had one, you will always want them. They are totally devoted and dependent on you. They are definitely big babies in a good sort of way. And their long hair...... It is not like the hair of most dogs, it is sorta silky and more like human hair. You can't use dog brushes on them, they need to be brushed with a human hairbrush.

They don't tend to be yappy. Or at least mine didn't. He would only bark when he needed to tell me there was someone or something around. Of all the dogs I had at the time, he was the one I could always trust to tell me something when I needed to know it. The other dogs were a bit yappy, would bark at their own selves or simply nothing at all. But not Browny, if he barked, I paid attention. He would not bark just because the other dogs barked. Only when he needed to let me know something.

They also are VERY alert to dangers. He woke me up and insisted I get up out of bed one Christmas morning. I knew this was very out of character of him, so I got up to see what he was trying to tell me. I couldn't figure it out so I sat down and he insisted that he wanted to be on my lap. Another thing out of character of him. He liked my lap but was never insistent about it. He laid on my lap nervously for about 3 hours, growling the whole time and would not leave my lap.

Finally I discovered what had him so upset...... My ex. had installed a scanner antenna, and did what I told him not to do. We was soon to discover that the cable (that we had not finished connecting up and was inside our home) was arcing. Well DH had hurt his back by the time we discovered it, so we took a big gallon glass jar and stuck the cable inside of the jar until he got well enough to get it out of the house.

I sat there with this big, upset dog on my lap for 3 hours. I noticed the cable in the jar was arcing and every time it arced, Browny would growl. My ex. pulled the cable out of the house and the dog got off my lap and settled down.

These dogs are also fast learners, and homebodies. When the other dogs would wander or chase a fox from our yard, they would go for miles before returning home. Poor Browny wanted to be part of the chase and would stand there dancing back and forth at our property line, but would not leave his yard unless he was at my side. He lived for his rides, that to him was the bestest treat you could give him. He was very protective of his family and his car. Many people used to love to torment him when we'd take him shopping. They loved to make him protect our car (he was like that from the very first day we got him, but I have not seen another Springer like that, I have walked up to many Springers sitting with their owners in their car and petted them.). I used to tell them, you think it's funny, try sticking your hand through that window and lets see you laugh than.

The red/liver ones they say have a tendency to become bitters, and mine was red and he had that tendency when he was a pup and I was housebreaking him. When I got done with him, he NEVER bit again. Would make you think he would, but never did, never would. Some of them can be very verbal dogs, mine was (alot of them are not, I just had one who was.). In saying verbal, I mean growly. Mine came by his nickname grouch honestly. BUT it is not really being grouchy, people take it that way, but it is not. It was his way of communicating to us. My vet thought he was a grouch and thought sure he was going to bite her. He was simply telling her that he didn't like something she was trying to do or about to do and he didn’t like her after she muzzled him. I told her if you do this, he would remember and NEVER forgive you. He was that type of a dog. Well she muzzled him and he panicked, hyperventilated, we almost lost him. She took the muzzle off him and promised him she would never muzzle him again. She never did and she learned to love her and trust her again because she kept her word to him. Also because she fed him lunchmeat every time he came to see her. LOL

These dogs are gluttons and can easily overeat. The quickest way to their heart is through their stomach. They are very intelligent and you can talk to them like a human and for the most part they will talk to you too. They will find ways to tell you what they want you to know. Not just need you to know, want you to know.

When mine was wanting his mom time, one of his favorite things was the touch of my hand. It comforted him, just like child wants to be held for comfort and that loving touch us Mom's give. Well for Browny, it was my holding his paw until he fell asleep. He was never insistent about it, but sometimes just wanted a touch, so he'd lie down and lift his paw to me. I'd hold it until he fell asleep.

If I ever get a chance to have another one, I would in a heartbeat.

Guest Guest

I agree about spaniels. Our red dog was a spanial mix. I found her on the corner of a busy street at the gas station. She was 2 at the time and just comeing out of heat. She was always gentle. The Humainse society is a good idea. I think I'd adopt older dogs from now on. Often they will let you have a trial period with the dog. This is a good idea both for you and them. Some animals just aren't adoptable with out a lot of training. I've work with the local HS for years and love it. Terriers tend to be nippy and noisy. My beagle isn't noisy and doesn't run. But that is unuseual. We get lots of beagles in at animal Control. Diane

PS I'd recomend obediance classes to anyone. I've had dogs all my lfe but I sure learned alot at the classes. I took them through the county Comunity Education and they were really cheap. d