MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Just found out Westminister KK dog show tonight at

Guest Guest

I love showing my dog, getting to meet others with your breed! you make friends, look at future breeding prospects as well as aspire to have dogs as nice as the ones winning, compare your dog to the breed standard and to other dogs.

Find a dog handling class, usually held in parks. Contact your local Dog Club and if you can't find one call a dog trainer in your area and ask them about it. Depending on your dog breed and where you are located, there may be a dog club specifically for your breed if it is a popular breed.

Go to a dog show in your area, if you have a movie camera take it and also take a camera with you so you can take pictures of the handlers of your breed in the ring. Look at their shoes (ulgy a** shoes! ROFL!), their dress, the colors that they are wearing...remember..you are showing off the dog not you! what you don't want to do is wear anything that distracts from your dog!!!! you are only a 'backdrop'. Take pictures of the leashes and collars the dogs are wearing.

Wander back with the handlers/owners and talk to them about showing. Take pictues of their set ups. Crates, rugs in the bottom of the crate, how they water and feed at a show. What kind of brushes or combs are used, how do they block the dogs from the sun or wind or rain? and so on.

This is where the camera comes in handy. you can take pictures and go back and look at them later. There is so much going on that there is no way you will remember everything.

A dog show is also a great place to purchase (cheaply) things you need.

I have Anatolian Shepherd Dogs, they are in the working dogs class.

What kind of dog do you have?

thanks for all the info... i live in a small area. don't know if they have any kind of dog show around but did fine out one of the feed stores in the area has some one who works there who might be of some help. I will be loading up on film.

my dog is a Saint Barnard. she is kind of spoiled. we sure love her. I just started getting her to pull for me; I needed help in getting the hay and feed out to the critters in this deep snow and she did a surprisingly great job. she show true to her breed. now i am bragging. sorry.

Brag away! if you don't brag on her who will?

Here are 3 links to discussion groups you may be interested in.

These groups will be able to help you find shows in your area

http://www.alaska.net/~iceworm/saints-l/subscribe.html

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Saint-Bernards/

this one is for cart training

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WorkingBigDogs/

Who knows, maybe someday your big girl will have her name up in lights! of course she can't sit in the Westminister Cup when she wins.... or can she? hummmmmmmmm ?