MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Legal Stuff You Need to Know

TechMom

This week I have been on jury duty and it has been a very educational experience!

The most important thing we've learned is no matter how upset you may be, if you're ever in a situation where you must give a statement to police, BE SURE TO REVIEW EVERY WORD before you sign it!!!! The case I'm involved in has multiple instances of incorrect information across multiple statements from numerous persons. If you sign a statement with an incorrect account of what happened to you or what you witnessed, then it WILL come back to haunt you. Whether you are the victim or the accused, count on opposing council having a field day with it!

Also, make sure you know your rights! One of the families in this case was told that if they insisted on having an attorney present while a search warrant was executed, then their son would be arrested on the spot. The parents obviously didn't want their minor son to be hauled away in handcuffs, so they didn't engage an attorney until later in the process, and are paying for it now. I'd recommend videorecording any instance where police enter your home if you can.

That's not to imply that law officers are untrustworthy, but stuff happens, and it's better to head off potential problems if you can.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing that helpful advice. I respect most police officers. But lately I have seen several cases on the news of cops abusing people. They dumped one poor man who was crippled out of his wheelchair.

Archived