MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Important ! Please Read.

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Today I trusted a friend and downloaded something they gave me. Only thing was, they didn't know they gave it to me and I didn't know they didn't intend on giving it to me.

So trusting them I downloaded it. Then I opened up a window for conversation with another person and before I could say hello I saw the same download being sent to that person from me! I quickly told the person to not touch it or do anything with it until I checked into it further because I did not send it to them, it sent itself.

I went back to the person who sent it to me and they never knew they sent it. They scanned their computer and found it. It was not easy to remove at first, but soon Norton let them remove it.

Now, my situation was not so easy. I don't have any virus protection on my computer. My motherboard is messed up and will allow me to do some things but not others. One of the things it has not allowed me to do is download or install any anti-virus protection. (solution, a new computer real soon I hope.) But I do visit this site http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ quite often and keep on top of things, especially when I download something. Just not today, or at least when i should have.

The site I posted above offers free scanning for viruses, Trojans, Worms, Bots, and more. If you have not purchased their program PC Cillin it will scan your computer for free, tell you if you have anything, where it is located on your computer and give you a web page where you can read about it and in most cases the page gives you instructions for removal also. I have been told many times this is the most up to date and best virus protection software out there and I have used it to remove viruses from friend's computers across the net when Norton and McAfee said there was none. (almost the one's I found and removed, that the others didn't was the love bug virus) So in MHO PC Cillin is the best. If you want this wonderful anti-virus program you can get a free trial of it here. http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=...in&tg=dl-20

So today I rushed right over to the site and had my computer scanned. It found 5 locations on my computer where parts/forms of the worm I downloaded earlier. I went to the information site it gave and discovered what I got was not removable. That is what PC Cillin said anyway.

Then I remembered I had another program on my computer that is called Swatit. It is free and I highly recommend it. You can get it here. http://lockdowncorp.com/bots/downloadswatit.html

Here is their main site with all the programs they offer. http://www.lockdowncorp.com/

What Swatit does is scan your computer for Trojans, Worms, Bots and more (I don't think they scan for viruses though - So you should use this with any virus program you have. But best of all it's FREE).

Well I opened up and updated Swatit and had it scan for these worms. It found all 5 locations. I managed to remove two. Ok, now lets see what we can do for the other three. I tried again and they were removed also!

Then to make totally sure they were gone I rescanned the computer using PC Cillin's free scan site and using Swatit. when the scans were finished, the worms were not found anywhere on my computer!

I got lucky this time and learned a very frightening lesson in the process. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER download anything without scanning it before opening it. Also NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, download anything without asking the sender if they sent it and what it is first.

I highly recommend you all checking out the programs and sites I posted above.

Hill