MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Any ideas?

Guest Guest

This year is my inlaws 60th birthdays. One in Feb. and one in May. I thought it'd be fun to throw them a birthday party (for both of them) Wondered if any of you had any ideas? If someone threw a birthday party for you...what would you like? Thanks in advance!

------------------

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good, and His love endures forever!

One of the things people around here like to do is to ask people to mail written memories to one person, who then creates a "memory book" with them. Then it's presented to the honoree on the special date.

This can be especially sweet if it's a wedding anniversary.

You could even use e-mails, and Microsoft has free clip-art (Design Gallery Live) if you use Microsoft products.

http://dgl.microsoft.com/

But you'd have to hurry for the February date...

------------------

cat.jpg

Us Hillbilly's ya know are just simple country folks and we like simple and relaxing things. When ever I have planned an event, be it a birthday party, wedding (ours, LOL), anaversary, what ever, I did it very informally, thinking about the comfort of the guests and not wanting them to be uncomfortably dressed or feel like they had to what ever. It has ALWAYS paid off. I have done picnics, cook outs, beach parties, what have you. I have always been highly complimented on every event I have planned or put together. The comments were always this is the best I have been to. I never did anything special, just made it informal, relaxed and let the guests do what they felt like without having to feel obligated to anything. There are plenty of formal events out there, not nearly enough relaxed ones and life is so busy that people are really appreciating the relaxed, let down your hair, be yourself atmosphere.

I also agree with what Cat said, it is becoming more and more popular, especally for older people to say, please, NO GIFTS, just give us a gift of a memory, tell us something you remember, something that tells us how much we mean to you. Older people have most everything they want but a kind word, a memory, an I feel close to you because, you are specail to me........... Those are gifts that build the spirit and also keep on giving. Another way to do that is to build a scrap book for them and ask everyone who comes to take a page and write what ever is on their hearts on their page and sign it.

The main thing is have fun with it and they will also. And I know you are a great one for party planning and decorating. Ahhhhhhhhhhh, decorating! Almost forgot, decorating the car is also quite popular here even for birthdays.

Basicly what is best to keep in mind is building a memory for them that will keep them smiling for years to come.

Hill

------------------

A problem is just a challenge waiting to be conquered.

Impossibilities are just possibilities waiting to be made possible.

You can't stop the curve balls of life but you can choose how you will handle them.

hillbillee.jpg

Alot of my Techie friends are into giving a

"Life Review". They secertly have all friends and family members of the Birthday

person collect past pictures. Then they create a Slide Show, which is'nt difficult. You can either scan burn it on a DVD or take these pictures to a Photo Shop. For a minimal amount they will create this on a Video Tape to be played on the TV. I've even seen a couple of commercials on this. I believe it's Sony. Anyway just a suggestion.

wheeler.jpg

[This message has been edited by Wheeler (edited January 17, 2003).]

Hi, HappyGirl and the rest of you. smile.gif

As far as a party goes, from the way you said it, you will have one party for the two of them. Not a party for each, is that correct?

I think what the others said is a very nice idea. smile.gif I hadn't thought about something like that.

If they don't get to go out to eat often, that would be another idea, make arrangements for a nice get together with others and eat out, of course, everyone pays for their own meals. smile.gif

When do you intend to have this party, everything depends on the weather around here, and winter is NOT a good time for out door parties. wink.gif

I do have to say one thing, at 60, we may be a lot older than a lot of you, but sometimes we don't feel so old. wink.gif I just had my 60th Birthday and if I remember right there are a couple others on here that are 60 or more. smile.gif

At 70, 75 or 80, people sometimes have an open house. But, just a nice party with friends and family is nice anytime. smile.gif

Love ya all,

------------------

snowmom.jpg

Thanks for all the great ideas! If you have anymore, please share them! Yes, the plan is to celebrate them both at the same time. Since we aren't doing too good financially, I even thought of asking them if they would like to help out financially as a gift to eachother. Do you think that's tacky? We would be also inviting my FIL's sister and my MIL's brother, so they might be able to bring something. So far I have a guest list of about 20. I think I'll cap it off at that. I'm not including anybody from their jobs, because although that leaves a lot of important people out, it means a LOT (50-100)more people, and is just way out of our range. Also, I had a great idea...I thought I could maybe have the party on the 15th of February, and decorate it for Valentine's Day. Most people there will be married, so it might be a good chance to have a night out with friends.

Cat, I love the "Memory book" idea. Along with the invitation, I thought of asking people to write and send me back some of their fondest memories of my inlaws. Then at the party (where I thought of asking people to wear something red- like a blouse, a scarf, a flower, a hat, something) take pictures of everybody together and by families, and create a Creative Memories album for my inlaws with the pictures and memories that people wrote. That would have to replace the electronic version of it, Wheeler, since although I think it's a WONDERFUL idea, it's a little out of our price range. Although...both my inlaws and my FIL's best friend have a video camera, so maybe someone could be in charge of going around taping people and messages, and then putting it together for them. Thanks for the idea! Hill, the party in it's nature will be simple in the sense that for lack of finances it can't be much. I would like to serve frozen lazagna (cooked by then, ofcourse wink.gif) and maybe some salad, punch and other drinks. The lady who made our wedding cake works out of her home and made a beautiful, delicious wedding cake, and was vey inexpensive. I'd like to contact her to see if she is still making cakes, and if she would make a Valentine's/Birthday cake for me. Depending on how much it costs, ofcourse wink.gif. I like the idea of decorating their car, and with all the stuff they have out now that won't hurt their car, it might just work!

SnowMom, you mentioned that you also just turned 60. Do you think that it would be too much to have a fun game? Most people there will be 50-60 or older, but I saw this game that I thought wold be really fun...I would ask people to answer a few questions ahead of time like...where did you and your spouse meet? Or, what's your pet name for your spouse? What has been the most unusual name for a pet that you have had... And then at the party (with all the answers) pick the most interesting ones and ask stuff like...Who do you think here has a golfish named Jaws? Or, who do you think calls his/her spouse lovey-dovey when they are alone?...and stuff like that. I thought it might be fun. What do you all think? Oh! I also thought of asking a friend to come and sing a little bit...he sang at our wedding also, and if he charges at all I don't think it would be much...maybe he could sing "Thank you" from mmm....good-ol'-what'shisname...well...if I remeber his name I'll post it later! Both my inlaws work in ministry, and my FIL has been the director of a foodshelf for over 15 years (a total of about 20, I think). So I though that might be appropriate.

Sorry this got soooo long. Please all...let me know what you think! Thank you for all your great advice! smile.gif

------------------

You have to have the right crowd, but our family usually has a potluck. Even if it's a fancy occasion. Then, we often get a caller for square dancing. It's usually pretty inexpensive. Many of us older folks can still move enough to do square dancing. Plus, if you have a good caller, he can slow the pace down for the crowd if he needs to. Also, if no one has done square dancing before, he can still teach basic steps and get a good dance going by the end of the time period. Just a thought. Just enjoy whatever you do.

------------------

Pray for Peace

lcm.jpg

HappyGirl, I myself like games, but others may not. So, the games would depend on the people you have coming.

If you do a search on 'google', you might come up with more game ideas for the 'older' people. smile.gif

I did make a 'Memory Book' for my sister and her DH for their 50 anniversary in October. smile.gif I think that is a great idea too. It of course was a genealogy type book with information as well as pictures.

Pot luck is good if you plan to have a meal, we do that all the time when we get together.

Music of the 40's and 50's would be good for background music if you plan on that. Unless they don't care for that kind of music. I love the 'Big Band' type music. smile.gif

They use to have a place where you could get a nice folder that had things in it about 'What Happened The Day You Were Born'. I don't know if you can find those any more or not. They had very interesting things in them. Such as what songs were popular, what president was in office, what had happened that year, not sure if it had what happened that day or not though, etc.

You could use the pictures too, HappyGirl, just by putting them on a board of some kind and have it placed so everyone can see them. Starting with pictures of when they were little and up to now, be sure to have your DH, you and your little girl on there too. smile.gif

Let us know how it all turns out. smile.gif

I'm sure you will do just fine. smile.gif

Love ya all,

------------------

snowmom.jpg

Mmmm...not sure what's going to happen now...I talked to my inlaws last night and they are interested in a party, but in one that the focus is not on them, but on an event, like Valentine's Day. I called the rental office of our apartments today and they told me that the dates around the 14th of Feb. are all taken. From the 13h to the 17 I think she said. So now I'm not sure what to do. My DH is totally fine with dropping it, ofcourse...he isn't a party person. So I'm a little discouraged, and am not sure what to do. I'll keep you posted, though! frown.gif

------------------