MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Have you seen that commercial?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

The one where there is a family in the fifties (maybe 60's)-in black and white, with a nice song playing, and the family is having breakfast together (waffles, the whole works)? Then they say "get real" and break to a very fast pace modern family where the mom is on the phone, dad is reading the newspaper, little boy is running around screaming and the teanager is late for school and can't find her homework.

What family are you? What family would you like to be? My DH and I are really trying to be "a family" not just people living together with a child. We strive to have meals together, sit and talk instead of watching tv, and generally just try to enjoy eachothers company.

What's it like at your house?

Our family has always strived to meet together daily for a meal. That is very important to us to gather together and find out whats going on in one anothers life....to me it is essential in wholesome family living. TV is another story....My DH loves it and watches way too much. However he does watch quality educational shows and not trash. I have to pick my battles and this is one that I surrender to daily.

I have seen that commercial, HappyGirl, and did not like the portrayal of modern family life. Sounds like your family is off to a great start. Your daughter is blessed!

Guest Guest

Good question happygirl. I was a SAHM so we seldom missed having supper around the table as a family. I fixed breakfast daily but in shifts because of different time schedules. However, it was only a couple of times a week that we all ate supper together as the kids became teenagers. Sports, working, etc. made it difficult.

Our foster daughters family is more like the commercial as she and her husband both work. It does look pretty bad but I know they are a very close knit family and the kids are great. Guess I'll brag a little here Both boys, ages 14 and 10, ranked in the top 90% of the country with the Iowa Basics Skills tests last winter. Yeah, it seems a little wild around there for me at times but they all seem to be doing great!