MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Getting ready for winter

Guest Guest

We have wind advisories out until 6:00 p.m. and wow can the wind blow out here on the prairie! Fortunately the temperature is 43, much better than the 21 degrees yesterday morning but this wind makes me realize without a doubt old man winter is just around the corner. It’s time to finish winterizing this old drafty house.

That thought got me to wondering what kind of winterizing do the rest of you northerners have to do around your place? How about those of you in the warmer climates do you have to do anything special?

Winter... for some reason, I think this one is going to be a bad one for us! I hope I'm wrong!

We still need to fix a small leak in the corner of the roof. I don't think it's that the roof actually leaks, it's more like the wind sometimes drives the rain under the metal shingles! Very strange...

If I go back to bed now, can I wake up in May!?!?! Waaaahhh!

We have snow forecast in the valley for Thursday! Extremely early this year. Unlike Nana, I hope that we do have a winter with ALOT of snow. In spite of the difficulties that come with it, we desparately need it. Many of the resevoirs were unusable by boats this year because the harbors are dry. The Great Salt Lake is at a record low, and you can now walk to Antelope Island. There was a big campaign on TV all year for people to conserve water, and people did. Now, the water company is raising the price of water because they didn't sell enough! GGGRRRRRRRRRR........we can't win!

We cleaned out the veggie beds last weekend, and put away all the patio furniture. I have noticed that the garage door, front door, and patio door could all use new weather stripping, and the patio door needs an adjustment to prevent that tiny little hole where the mice were playing. We also need to get a furnace check up and a green seal. Then, I think we will be set.

It is getting cold, that's for sure. I love everything about our big old farmhouse EXCEPT it's drafty! We started doing our winterizing a few weeks ago.

During the height of the Asian Beetle invasion, I put plastic on the inside of our bedroom windows. All of the storm windows have been put on. In the upstairs rooms we don't often use - the shades are pulled, the heat registers are closed, and the doors are shut. DH has put new filters in the furnace and covered the window air conditioner. We had propane for the furnace delivered last week, so I guess we're as ready for winter as we're going to be.

Here in Alabama winters aren't bad, since I'm from Ohio I've seen bad! LOL But they have no way of dealing with snow or ice so everything shuts down. I'm going to get some plastic to put over the windows, going to try the kind ya use a hair dryer to put up. I was hoping gas prices would go down more so we could fill gas cans for the generator but I think they are about as low as its going to get. I want to get some more coleman gas for the lanterns and be sure I have extra Pepsi [comfort items] in case we're here a few days. The supply of food I have will last a while. I still have to cut grass at least 1 more time and burn limbs but then that should be it other then covering outside spigots. Its gotten cooler here early compared to the last probably 8 years so I look for a cold winter.

all we have left to do is put the storm windows up and drain the garden hoses and i think, maybe that is it???

If there is anything to the old wise tales for telling what kind of winter you'll have. we are in for very little snow. We have seen two wasp nest now only about three to four feet off the ground. Now we will see.

I need to do some further investigating, but normally we have tons of nuts dropping from the oak trees and walnut trees. I noticed they've been disappearing and am wondering if this means the squirrels are stashing them away as fast as they fall due to a hard winter.

I just hope that, like Snowmom, we get a lot of snow because we need the moisture. The drought is seriously affecting everything.

We've been heating almost exclusively with firewood so far and - have already gone thru a ton of it!