MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

President Reagan's Funeral

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Yesterday, as I watched the Caisson procession of President Reagan's casket down Constitution Ave, to the Capitol Building, I was struck by the many wonderful traditions that we have for honoring those who have served this country. I was so moved by all of those young men and women in uniform, bands playing, and best of all, seeing so many young people turn out to watch the procession. People who were either youngsters, or not even born when President Reagan was in office were there to honor him.

I listened to all of the speech's when the casket arrived at the Capitol Rotunda. The grief on the faces of the the thousands who spent hours standing in line to pay their last respects to the President, was a testimony to how well thought of he was. The whole experience was so moving.

President Reagan visited a tiny farming community where I lived in the early 80's. I was amazed that a President would take the time to visit such a small community. I was not able to see him, as the crowds were too heavy, but I was able to hear his speech, as he spoke over a loud speaker. I still marvel that I had that wonderful opportunity.

The funeral is tomorrow, and I encourage anyone who can, to watch it. So many world leaders will be there to honor him. Even Mr. Gorbechev (sp), will be attending, which is pretty amazing, since he was in office when President Reagan worked so hard to tear down the Berlin wall, and end the Cold War. Tomorrow will be history in the making, as well as the opportunity to pay last respects to an honorable man.

Rest in Peace, Mr. President.

Thank you, Mare, for sharing your thoughts on this time of grief for America. As I watch the news of late, I am moved to tears at the amount of honor and respect towards a president of the United States. Truly God Bless America! No other words can express how I feel about the honor I've I've seen in our country.

Guest Guest

I heard a former Soviet citizen on a radio program yesterday, asked if he had heard the "evil empire" speech at the time it was delivered. He said that only that bit was told, and vigorously denied. Like we were just "name-calling". )

Nancy looks just *lost*. My heart breaks for her. Just a little, old woman who has lost her husband. It's like the light is gone in her eyes.

Sadly Nancy R lost Ronald a long time ago due to alziemers. During my 2 years of home-nursing, I got to see firsthand the tradgedy this disease does to a family. My patient was 93 then, now she's 96 and her family still endures the pain of her not knowing them. It is very sad.

Nancy lost part of herself, when she lost him.

I don't know how she stood up to it as well as she did.

The only explanation is that it must be done, so you do it.

52 years is a big chunk of your life.

I thought Lady Thatcher was very poignant, and well spoken.

I watched it as well as taped it so Old Pine could watch it later.

It had to be hard on Nancy, the week was so much going and coming. She held up so well, I don't know how she was able to do it.

Nancy has to be a very strong lady.