MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Well SueC...you've been here 6 days.......

It's time you start posting!!!!!!

I've been waiting to hear more about your new home in beautiful Australia oz.gif and your old country New Zealand nz.gif

Are you having a good time here with us (mostly) Americans?

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bc.FHX9AZpQpY9DM

Guest Guest

Ok I know I have been slack. I have been busy attending a training workshop and now I am trying to catch up at home. The workshop was a total waste of 2 days as it was for a voluntary organisation (Meals on Wheels) and covered things that a big business would need to do. But as a small charity group we are also expected to comply with. But enough about that.

The part of Australia that I live in, is a farming community. It actually reminds me alot of New Zealand as there are plenty of rolling hills - all covered in green! The green here is sugar cane but still!. As it is harvest time we have to remember that trains are running. For 6 months the train tracks are empty. The other "Hazard" is the black snow that falls at night- many farmers burn their cane before harvest. That is a spectacular site! Even if we get a rain of ash!

Otherwise being a small community we have a fantastic place to live and to bring up children. The negative is that when the young people finish school at 17 they all leave home to either look for work or to go to Uni.

I only do my shopping once a month. The nearest town of any size is a good 40 minutes drive away. The shops in town have very limited supplies. Ok for milk and fresh fruit and Vegetables though. But terrible for craft supplies and sewing needs. We do have a patchwork shop which helps.

But enough about me. I am intrigued with where you all come from - city or country? Hot or cold climates?

Sue

Guest Guest

Welcome Sue, it's nice to meet you. DH and I live on a farm in Iowa and it's very cold and snowy here in the winter...brrrrr!

We have a little convenience store where we can buy milk, eggs, bread, etc., a post office and bank in town 3 miles from us but otherwise it's a 22 mile trip to get groceries or anything else. For big stores, like a Wal-Mart, it's a good 35 miles. Like you, we don't go real often.

Becca or Cat will be here with a yummy welcome soon.

------------------

dee.jpg

Guest Guest

How did I miss this post???

Hi Sue smile.gif Welcome to Mrs-S! I live in IA like Dee, hot and humid here in the summers freezing in the winters. Lots of corn almost ready to harvest here!

Today the tea cart is loaded with an assortment of Peppridge Farm cookies and doughnuts. Creme filled, chocolate cake, bear claws, and powdered sugar doughnuts, yum! I have iced tea, lemonade and coffee to drink smile.gif

------------------

becca.jpg

Guest Guest

Hi Sue and Welcome!!! grin.gif Wow, someone from the land "down under"! I just love Australia and the people, and their accents. It's so far away, but with Mrs S, it's just a hop, skip and stone's throw away! smile.gif

I'm a SAHM of 2 boys, ages 6 and 20 months, been married to the same wonderful guy for over 7 years, and live in Southern New York State, along the Hudson River, about 75 miles from NYC. It gets very hot here in the summers, especially THIS summer, and very cold and usually lots of snow in the wintertime. We have grocery stores, and other shopping areas nearby, but nothing we can just walk to unfortunately. I live in the "country" part of my town, so we have to drive to get to places like that. It's a beautiful place though, snug in the Catskill Mountains, along the river...lots of history in our area. George Washington, our first President, once rode through this area, made camp with his Revolutionary war troops, and lived in nearby Newburgh for many months...

------------------

how.gif

50_p1689.jpg

[This message has been edited by mrszouave (edited August 07, 2002).]

Nice to see you Sue!

Meals on wheels is a great program! We have it here for the elderly. (the food isn't always the best but serves it's purpose).

You paint a lovely picture of where you live. I never knew Australia grew lots of sugar cane. IT must be a sight to see. And when the farmers burn their fields..wow! Would you know why? It must smell wonderful!

I live in the city. Not more than a few minutes from all kinds of stores. It's very convenient.

We have 4 seasons. It averages 80's in the summer-30's in the winter-50's in the fall.But there are plenty of Non-average highs and lows. This year being very strange like most of the country. Is your weather unusual lately too?

Hey Sue.....i'm glad your here...keep on posting!!

------------------

Guest Guest

Well Debbielee I think they burn mostly in areas where the cane has fallen and after burning it easier to harvest. Some places burn because of the type of soil they have. The ash puts something back into the ground. And yes it can smell really nice. I don't like fires - they scare me, but when friends took us out to see the cane burn, it was awesome!

I envy all you that have a proper winter. It is winter here and temperatures are such that we have no heaters and tonight I have not even needed a jacket. My Brother in Law and his family have just been visiting from Canada and they have found our winter hotter at times than their summer. I think they have forgotten the Aussie weather! Our summers do get hot though. Then it is fans all day and night.

Oh boy, the food you have on the sunporch, I am glad it is virtual and I can enjoy it all minus the calories! Is this a typical American welcome?

Sue

So it's your winter now?

Yup we usually have lot's of the most fattening things here....(My favorite is cheescake)

Most of us are on diets so we eat whatever and how much we like here in cyber world! Here have a whole pizza with every topping imaginable.......all to your self....

i already ate mine.(tee-hee)

------------------

Guest Guest

Mmm Pizza - I think I like the sound of cheesecake though, something covered with blueberries sounds nice!

Yes it is supposedly Winter. Slightly cooler tonight. I have closed all the windows and doors and even put on a jacket and slippers!

Hubby has just driven in with the girls from Youth group so that will probably be a blast of the cool

Better go and check out things or the fridge will be totally empty!

Sue

That's funny Sue....You had to close your windows and put on slippers and it's winter??? How neat is that! What's the lowest temp it gets in winter?? A winter without shoveling snow or slipping on ice...i like that!

But then again your really-really hot in the summer right?

------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Back again. I have had a few days where getting near the computer has been a joke - Daughters and school assignments! Well this winter I think our lowest has been 10 degrees celcius and we had one day that really lost it's season - it got to 29 C. Our lows are only in the early hours of the morning. The days have been beautiful - warm dry and sunny. The washing is dry on the line in about 3 hours. In fact unless there is a wind it has been very comfortable. But remember that with our mild winter we have the added problem of the viruses etc not getting frozen so often the warm winter also brings a lot of sickness. I am not sure I would want to have to shovel snow. I remember Chillblains from the frosts when I was a kid. I can imagine that snow would be a coooold time for the toes!

And yes it is hot in summer. The fans are on all the time with temperatures ranging 24 - 39 C. (I am not sure how that converts to farenheit temps) The bed is easily made in summer - simply smooth out the sheet! Our bedroom has doors onto the verandah and in summer we leave everything open hoping for a little breeze through the doors and windows. The humidity doesn't help - there is nothing worse than having a really humid few days and then finding that some of the furniture has gone black with mould. Fortunately that happens less, now that the family is older and they wash their hands instead of wiping them on the chair backs! Oh the joys of small children!

Sue

Thanks for the laugh Sue!! Those kids....they find the darndest things to wipe their hands and noses on when they are little. I caught my nephew using my curtains .....i guess they were the right height......Kids....ya gotta love em..

I'm trying to figure out the translation between celcius and fahrenheit. All i know is what i see on tv and movies ....and it looks HOT in the summer! (didn't know about the humidity though....yikes!)

Are air conditioners out of the question or are they too expensive to run?? I say, they are a Godsend!

Nice to yap with ya Sue....hope the kids give you another chance on the puter soon.

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcUHRh9AutwpY9DM

I think the assignments are up to date - for now - another due in by the end of the week. But as Hubby has to get the early train down to see his Dad, who is in hospital I can use his puter. Dad in Law is 83 and has recently been diagnosed with Mesothelioma so not good news. He is back in hospital because of gall problems - or maybe it is pancreas or liver? The doctors haven't made up their minds!

Air-conditioners sound good - but I dont really like them as they give me sinus. I don't know how the cost goes. But as hubby is a pastor - (one of the poor ones!) it would probably be out of the question. But a fan on low and I can sleep. I'll have to have a look at the thermometer - I noticed that it has the temp conversions. I just didn't have a good look at it.

Better get an early night - Have to leave at 5am to get to the train station.

Sue

Howdy Y'all,

Thought I'd finally mosey my way to the Porch. Been along time since I've sat here. I was here when it was frist built. I sure hope you ladies don't mind having a Family man and a father of 3 hanging around. It's just more comfortable in a Forum with Ladies like yourselves. The Men Survival Forums can be quite radical and the Testerone gets a little heavy. First off, it's sure great to meet everyone.DebbieLee, thank you so much for greeting me and making me feel so welcome. You are a very special Lady. Well I'll just pick a spot in the corner and let Y'all

visit. Please, don't mind me. Just been wanting to officialy meet everyone. If having a Guy around makes anyone uncomfortable, please let me know. I can always just lurk and keep my mouth shut.

After 30 years of marriage, my Wife has me trained well.

------------------

Always Seek&Follow the Light.....Wheeler

[This message has been edited by Wheeler (edited August 19, 2002).]

Hi Wheeler and welcome.

We could always use another man to pick on besides Ed. You can give us cooking tips, since your profile says you cook. I look forward to picking you brain on computer topics as well.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

grin.gif

Oh and Debbie lee isn't as innocent as she seems, always seems to be getting into trouble. Don't know about that girl. lol.gif

------------------

brigid.gif

Hi Sue,

Sincerly sorry to hear about you Dad in law!!

Can you explain what Mesothelioma is? I'm thinking anything with a"oma" at the end can't be good. Is it cancer?

I understand about gallbladder troubles...i'm getting mine yanked next month....hurts like the dickens.

I'll be praying for you FIL.....What's his name? (I'm sure God knows it so i could always say Sue's FIL).

Wheeler,

You brought a tear to my eyes! Such kind words! Thank you!

It is truly my pleasure!!!! I can't wait to learn more from you. (Wheeler has great advice about stun guns/pepper sprays)

I for one and glad your here and Please don't feel uncomfortable. There are other guys here Ed and Dad from Fl.....and i'm sure some we haven't met yet. Hopefully you will encourage more men to Mrs S.....It's great getting a male perspective!

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcUHRh9AutwpY9DM

Hi to all (Yawn)

Well we made the train with about 1 minute to spare. Seeing as the train only stops for 1 minute at that station it was cutting it fine! 6 yrold was awake from 5am till 6am and then went back to sleep and did not want to go to school. I cant blame her.

Debbie, Mesothelioma - ghastly name - it took a while to get our tongue around it, it is cancer caused by asbestos. It seemed that FIL worked with the stuff over 50 years ago and now it is the cancer. But a miracle as it should have killed him somewhere in the time frame of 15 to 30 years after first handling it.

Hi Wheeler, good to hear from you. I am loving the MrsSurvival site. I dont post that often but I am getting better! A guy point of view will go down well I am sure!

Catch you all later - a morning snooze is in order I think - ZZZZZZZ

Sue